Senton 3s blx motor clicking noise and very little movement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastMann40

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
  2. Typhon 6s
Good day,
I recently got a Senton 3s blx and yesterday evening, I noticed that the unit would hesitate. I took the rear end out thinking it was this, and serviced it. I cleaned out the debris near and around the motor pack, then reassembled everything according to the book.

I tried it this morning, and the motor seems to be binding. I haven't taken the motor pack apart yet, but has anyone experienced this? I have a video clip, but it won't upload.

20231018_114835.jpg

Go ahead and take apart the power module. 3 screws. Check your pinion and spur gears. Check your gear mesh. Many threads and vids on here on how to do that. Also, remove the slipper asm. and spin the motor with the pinion gear on it with your fingers. It should spin easily with just noticeable skips of the magnet. If it's hard to turn, you have a front bearing gone bad. Don't worry, it's replaceable. Might even be a warranty issue if it's fairly new.

Thanks, I will check the slipper/spur bearings first. Is the gear plastic?

Video has to be uploaded to something like youtube or other hosting service, then you can leave a link in the posts.

A stuttering or hesitation could one of many things. Cogging from bad electronics, binding in the drivetrain (such as bad gear mesh, mis-aligned gears due to bent motor plate, worn gears, etc), excess resistance from bad bearings in the drivetrain or motor, etc. We'd need more info to provide an accurate diagnosis.

Start by removing the power module (where the slipper and motor are housed). Does the truck still roll well without it attached? Disassemble the power module and remove the spur, are the bearings on the slipper still spinning smoothly? Once the slipper is removed, connect a battery and spin up the motor. Does it spin smoothly and quietly?

Arrma 3s trucks have hesitation in them in general. It's a product of their power band (more high RPM power/torque). But some things can exacerbate that hesitation, including "No" answers to questions like the ones I listed.

With all the dirt and small pebbles that I emptied, that may be the case, a spur gear that is shot! I will update what I find, thanks for the guidance. 😉

I took apart the motor pack, cleaned it all, inspected, but didn't find anything binding. Now the motor, it is very hard to turn, I believe it's the motor bearings. 😑. Got them ordered.

Last edited:
Replace the bearings, Jims bearings has them for a great price.

https://jimsbearings.com/collections/arrma-motor/products/arrma-blx100-3200kv-motor-bearings

If you don't mind spending a little extra and address the dirt in the motor module issue the ceramic bearings are nice to have, they in theory can spin faster at cooler temps than a traditional bearing. https://jimsbearings.com/collections/arrma-motor/products/arrma-3s-4s-ceramic-motor-bearings But I cannot reiterate this enough you must do something about the dirt getting trapped inside the motor module first the ceramic bearings will last even less time than a standard bearing in these cars if you do not. You can either seal it up like mentioned in that thread or cut a slot in the chassis under the spur gear.

cool, thanks. I haven't quite ordered the bearings yet, still reviewing all the different makes of these bearings.

I recently had the same thing with my Senton 3S and believe it or not it ended up being the ESC went bad and was causing the motor to act funny and grind like a gear problem. Took it apart a dozen times, and finally tested the power module on another 3S that I have, and was able to narrow it down to the ESC.

It was the inner bearing thar seized. The capped outer one spins freely, the inner one is trashed with metal debris.

20231018_210713.jpg

20231018_210638.jpg

20231018_210705.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back