Outcast Replacing stock bearings in Spektrum 6s motor. Which way seals face, and more info on freezer trick to get new ones installed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Custnam

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
I replaced the stock bearings in my Spektrum motor and and although I was able to get them in, the one on the pinion side took a lot more then I thought and the can and bearing got damaged. Anyway since a replacement was only $46 from Jennys I just bought a new one, and another set of the ceramic bearings. I have no issues getting the stock bearings out using the bread trick, and tapping the other one out is easy. I can also get the new one on the opposite of the pinion side back in as well. But the one that goes into the pinion end gets stuck and requires too much force. Will freezing the can lid and bearings help this? How long do I wait? And both bearings have metal shields on one side, and a rubber shield on the other. Which way do these face? Thank you!!

Freezing shrinks and heating expands materials. Freezing or heating, at the same time, won't do anything.
Heat the external and freeze the bearing and it will work a little better.
Will do any other tips care to share.

I replaced the stock bearings in my Spektrum motor and and although I was able to get them in, the one on the pinion side took a lot more then I thought and the can and bearing got damaged. Anyway since a replacement was only $46 from Jennys I just bought a new one, and another set of the ceramic bearings. I have no issues getting the stock bearings out using the bread trick, and tapping the other one out is easy. I can also get the new one on the opposite of the pinion side back in as well. But the one that goes into the pinion end gets stuck and requires too much force. Will freezing the can lid and bearings help this? How long do I wait? And both bearings have metal shields on one side, and a rubber shield on the other. Which way do these face? Thank you!!
Rubber seal faces out to the elements.
Shielded side faces inward.
Bread trick works on the captured BB end.(y)Like you said for removal.
When installing, freeze the BB's for 20+ min. or so. Like you did.

>>> Use a Heat gun or torch briefly to expand the alloy motor's end plates quickly, before inserting the Frozen cold BB. This should work. What I always do.
>>>I always place a drop of Oil (prefering synthetic) on each New BB , at the inside shielded sides of each BB. Whether they are Ceramic's or not. New or not.
Good luck.:cool:

I put a piece of aluminium over the bearing and tap it in gently just make sure it covers the whole bearing and go's in straight (y)

^^^
Some BB's might tap in easier than others. Need to tap them in from the Outer RACE, if anything! Taping from the Inner Race will brick them in a heartbeat. The BB's motor recesses can even distort. Sometimes not even realizing, then only to find the BB fails soon after with little use.
I have bricked new BB's before. I would not chance tapping them if I don't have to, especially with $Ceramics$.

Frozen BB and Heated motor works best. they drop right into place. Then let motor get to room temp.
>>>It remains firmly in place as the BB's expand and the Motor's alloy contracts, when approaching room temps.

Last edited:
yes if you cover the whole bearing with the piece of aluminium and gently tap them they go straight in changed loads of them. not damaged any of mine

Rubber seal faces out to the elements.
Shielded side faces inward.
Bread trick works on the captured BB end.(y)Like you said for removal.
When installing, freeze the BB's for 20+ min. or so. Like you did.

>>> Use a Heat gun or torch briefly to expand the alloy motor's end plates quickly, before inserting the Frozen cold BB. This should work. What I always do.
>>>I always place a drop of Oil (prefering synthetic) on each New BB , at the inside shielded sides of each BB. Whether they are Ceramic's or not. New or not.
Good luck.:cool:
Wow. Just want to say thanks to all that suggested freezing bearing, then heating the end caps. I put my new ceramic bearings into my mini fridges freezer for about 15 minutes. Then I heated the end caps with my heat gun. BOTH bearings LITERALLY fell into place. So much easier, and no damage! Thanks @SrC and @jkflow !
20220408_091315.jpg

Wow. Just want to say thanks to all that suggested freezing bearing, then heating the end caps. I put my new ceramic bearings into my mini fridges freezer for about 15 minutes. Then I heated the end caps with my heat gun. BOTH bearings LITERALLY fell into place. So much easier, and no damage! Thanks @SrC and @jkflow !
View attachment 210909
And for easy removal just heat up the end cap again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back