Kraton 6S Stock Motor Burnout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickE6012

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Having a run of bad luck with Kraton 6S of late - Brand new in August 2023, and probably only used 20 times. First the battery charger cooked (now replaced), then the battery itself died (also now replaced) and this week we have found the motor has totally cooked itself. I know that its only about AUD200 to replace, so we not talking a huge amount of cash, but is that really the life expectancy that I should expect from a motor - less than 9 months of very occasional use?

Has never been driven on anything other than asphalt or grass, and has not had any mods, literally straight out of the box....

Is there any form of warranty on the motor, or is it simply not worth going down that path??

Thanks

you need to put high speed fans on the motor and turn up to 7.4 on the esc. you can try on warranty at least. never used it myself

Welcome to the hobby 😄. Now for upgrades, fans, screen mesh, diff shimming, low profile tires, servos, 7075 chassis,' center braces, bigger ESC, motors, pinions, lexan bodies, paint....and even more batteries.

this week we have found the motor has totally cooked itself. I know that its only about AUD200 to replace, so we not talking a huge amount of cash, but is that really the life expectancy that I should expect from a motor - less than 9 months of very occasional use?

Truly bad luck and not my experience. The stock motor really isn't worth replacing with the same if it's going to cost you AUD200. In the US the stock 2050kv motor is available from companies that take apart new Kratons for $38 and inexpensive quality aftermarket motors are available for $50 (Hobbywing Quicrun 4274 2000kv). The Quicrun would be a modest upgrade over stock and seems to be available new on eBay in your area for about AUD120.

Last edited:
Seems like you just got a few gremlins mixed with a tad of bad luck. Your motor should've lasted much much longer, but that's the nature of the hobby...sometimes poop happens unfortunately. When things go bad just use that as an opportunity to upgrade components. I've had some rigs that require constant maintenance, and others that barely require any. Once you get everything sorted you should be good to go. 🍻

I ran the stock motor on a my Kraton EXB with a 14t pinion (stock is 12t, IIRC) for quite some time. Then I had that motor in my MT410. Now it's in my BLX big rock running 4s. Seems to be doing just fine. Can't remember if I've even replaced the bearings yet. I'd say you just had some bad luck with the motor. Can't comment on the other stuff though 🤔

Oh. Didn't think about an outside of the states scenario. I'm sorry. I know it costs lot more money out there. That's unfortunate. Agreed the quicrun does seem like the more worthy of a replacement imho. From what I've seen of it's internals, it looks more robust. Different construction, and more of a true 42mm diameter. Aussie RC Playground on YouTube seems to have good luck with the Surpass hobby 4585 size Rocket motors.

Back