Outcast Recommended Arrma Outcast Springs & oil Wight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool.

Already have them on. Orange rear, yellow front, 90mm on all four corners. It drives decent, although havnt tested on rough terrain nor do I have much experience to compare it to aside from the stock setup.

Think I'll order some yellow 85mm for front, throw my yellow 90mm's on the rear, and 70# shock fluid in all corners. I'll
let u know

Last edited:
Yep.
I would recommend as you said - 90mm yellow rear, and 80mm yellow or orange up front.

Sounds about right. The 90mm that i have on the front now seem to keep the front end a tad hire then the rear. Ill try 80mm front

Thought this might be of interest to everyone, below is a picture of the front orange tekno spring (left), stock front new generation Outcast spring (center) and rear orange Tekno spring (right).

A01C6577-101E-4938-84F7-01979CC8C6D7.jpeg

The stock springs are very soft even if it's longer.
Great thread, thanks for putting it together. I have the 2018 Outcast but it seems a lot of the shock setup recommendations here are for older versions. Would these recommendations apply to the 2018 as well? Maybe a better question to ask is, what's the difference between the 2018 stock shocks and the older versions? I know the shock shafts are thicker, but are the springs and bores the same?

Great thread, thanks for putting it together. I have the 2018 Outcast but it seems a lot of the shock setup recommendations here are for older versions. Would these recommendations apply to the 2018 as well? Maybe a better question to ask is, what's the difference between the 2018 stock shocks and the older versions? I know the shock shafts are thicker, but are the springs and bores the same?

The springs are longer in the 2018 model

I’m not certain of the weight bias on the Outcast, but I don’t think it is as rearward as you think. The steering rack, bell crank, suspension a-arms (2/side), steering knuckles/links, 2 pillow balls on each side, the ESC, the servo - ALL are in the front half. Yes, the battery helps even it out, but I don’t believe there is more weight in the rear. By squat, I mean you want the back end to sit, settle, stay put...not for the truck to tilt back at a 45 degree angle. With springs too stiff you won’t get as much bite because less weight is being displaced (maintained more precisely), on the rear tires. The whole idea is to keep the rear planted as much as possible under accel. If you had 50/50 weight distribution under acceleration, that may be ideal in some circumstances (loose surfaces, mud, snow etc.), but generally it will also cause more understeer while turning (a known issue with the Outcast, as it does not turn well in ‘on-throttle’ situations). Forward momentum automatically induces rear bias, as the weight transfer moves fore to aft.
With springs too stiff in the rear, your truck will bounce more...and more bounce = less stability. When you consider the natural tendency for rear bias under acceleration - it makes sense to want the back end to maintain traction and let the shock damping affect suspension travel. This ultimately allows the tires to keep constant contact with the ground. Springs to stiff will have a ‘pogo’ effect...as the tire will rebound too quickly, break traction and comprise stability. Also, springs need to be soft enough to allow independent travel on either side. If they are too stiff then the wheel opposite to one being compressed over uneven surfaces will lift and lose traction.
When you brake at speed, you get a LOT of forward momentum...another reason some prefer stiffer up front, as it allows a more even weight distribution across all 4 corners under forward load which increases overall grip and slows the truck more quickly.
I have had good results with Tekno yellows on all 4 corners. Others prefer orange front and yellow rear. I have read a few different posts where users report unfavourable results running orange all around - it’s just too stiff.
In the end there is no perfect answer...I would urge you to try it both ways, and see which you prefer. That is the beauty of the hobby, everyone adapts the vehicle to their preferences and driving habits. You can read pages of opinion regarding differential oils used across all three diffs. Some like 500wt in the middle, some run 150wt, etc.
Same with shock oil weight.
Point is - dofferent strokes for different folks - it’s definitely not a ‘one size fits all’ approach, but there are some physics that need to be accounted for that are based on mechanical considerations primarily, and are not so much user-defined.
I have a Gen 1 Outcast...and the factory springs were just way to soft. The yellows seem to stiffen things up quite nicely, but also allow the truck to retain its damping action.
In the end it’s about balancing shock damping, with spring rate. Go to extreme’s with either and you just end up counteracting the other.
Like they say with all things in life - it’s all about balance! Avoid extreme’s...everything in moderation blah blah blah
:rolleyes:

what weight comes stock in the Nero, big rock, assuming its the same, I dumped them last night, thicker than any oil I ever ran, dripped out like my 3k silicone oil, in my buggy rear diffs? lastly, do you know what this converts to?t he springs still trying to figure how Arrma's gf/mm converts to out /lbs every spring rate in use? GF/MM I COME UP EMPTY HANDED... I NEED TO HAVE A BASE IDEA. how can this whole site no one knows the oils of shock stock etc, spring rates are way off that I know for sure...thanks

You bet! Do keep us posted on your findings after experimenting! ;)

Hey just an afterthought here. Not sure if you already have the springs, but if you do then swapping will not work as the springs (front and rear), are a different length (80mm front, 90mm rear).

View attachment 14519
the length means nothing the big rock springs are 2.5mm thick, those are 2.00mm at best more like 1.9/8 etc.....also the coils, how are they made, cold rolled steel, theres lots of variables. but if thats working for you thats awesome. the big rocks a bit more challenging I believe!

"Stiffer springs help reduce after bounce with bigger landings. As far as front dipping and break flipping, my Orange Teknos have vastly improved this running in rough, loose, and high traction surfaces. A lot of this boils down to driving style and personal preference."

Question? How does stiffer springs help after bounce? Just from personal experience when I put more preload on my springs the car bounces worst on big landings.IDK

Last edited:
Question? How does stiffer springs help after bounce? Just from personal experience when I put more preload on my springs the car bounces worst on big landings. Idk

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back