Recommendations Purchasing a Welder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trexdd

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Senton 3s
Hey all, I need a metal glue gun for around home and would like some opinions on what maybe a professional or other hobbyist may recommend.

I’m the past I used to have a little Lincoln MIG 140 until my uncle “borrowed it” indefinitely 🙄. Being on construction sites and growing up the son of a welder I know how to burn rod as well and can use a TIG as well, but I sure can’t lay dimes like he did.

I’m now at a point where I’d like to have a little machine around the house that I could use for small projects ie; put a plate on the bottom of a pole for a hand tamper, weld up a tow hitch for my little lawn tractor etc. I don’t have any tanks anymore because when we moved, the freight company wouldn’t transport them, but if a consensus that having a little MIG unit might be the way to go, I’d pick up a set again.

I’m in Canada and I’d like to not break the bank, but I have no idea if any of these other brands/smaller models (especially the 120V) are any good. Or am I better sticking to Lincoln, Hobart, Miller etc? Again, opinions on what kind of machine would be greatly appreciated as well.

There’s a Canadian company called Kicking Horse Welders I’ve seen used by some YouTubers

Hey all, I need a metal glue gun for around home and would like some opinions on what maybe a professional or other hobbyist may recommend.

I’m the past I used to have a little Lincoln MIG 140 until my uncle “borrowed it” indefinitely 🙄. Being on construction sites and growing up the son of a welder I know how to burn rod as well and can use a TIG as well, but I sure can’t lay dimes like he did.

I’m now at a point where I’d like to have a little machine around the house that I could use for small projects ie; put a plate on the bottom of a pole for a hand tamper, weld up a tow hitch for my little lawn tractor etc. I don’t have any tanks anymore because when we moved, the freight company wouldn’t transport them, but if a consensus that having a little MIG unit might be the way to go, I’d pick up a set again.

I’m in Canada and I’d like to not break the bank, but I have no idea if any of these other brands/smaller models (especially the 120V) are any good. Or am I better sticking to Lincoln, Hobart, Miller etc? Again, opinions on what kind of machine would be greatly appreciated as well.

There’s a Canadian company called Kicking Horse Welders I’ve seen used by some YouTubers

I'd be interested to hear what's recommended by experienced users also.

Brand&model

The box 120v have come a long way. Those brands are good. I've tried the MIG flux core, no gas, no good. I've borrowed a Hobart 120v gas tank MIG from a friend to weld on my truck before, it was good. Had to get everything clean. And it worked fine. I'd say any top brand nowadays is good. Miller, Lincoln, Hobart, ESAB.

I've had good luck with my PrimeWeld Tig welder. I'm just an amateur and also can't really compare it against the better known brands, but the price was right. And from what I read online, their customer service is top notch if a warranty replacement is needed (no such need yet). They have decent black Friday sales as well.

https://primeweld.com/products/tig-225x-ac-dc-tig-welder

A little lincoln 140 will be fine for what your thinking, even on 110v... Obviously get a small bottle it'll last you a while doing small tasks. If you're thinking a little more capable go with say a miller 210/212 lineup... Mike

The box 120v have come a long way. Those brands are good. I've tried the MIG flux core, no gas, no good. I've borrowed a Hobart 120v gas tank MIG from a friend to weld on my truck before, it was good. Had to get everything clean. And it worked fine. I'd say any top brand nowadays is good. Miller, Lincoln, Hobart, ESAB.
That seems to track, I didn't think I'd hear from someone telling me a gasses MIG would be good, haha.
A little lincoln 140 will be fine for what your thinking, even on 110v... Obviously get a small bottle it'll last you a while doing small tasks. If you're thinking a little more capable go with say a miller 210/212 lineup... Mike
This is kind of what I figured, thanks for the input. And get that damn Grand Natty out, will yah? Hurts me knowing there is one that isn't out laying elevenses everywhere.

That seems to track, I didn't think I'd hear from someone telling me a gasses MIG would be good, haha.
It had a small tank. I welded some exhaust tubes & on some brackets on the frame. It did all I needed.

Miller, Lincoln, and Hobart are all great brands and perform similar. I have a Chinese 3-n-1 mig, tig, plasma cutter and that thing is awesome, cuts up to a quarter inch metal with the plasma and the mig/tig lay down nice beads. I've had it for about 3 yrs with no issue, it cost about $150 when I bought it.

Miller, Lincoln, and Hobart are all great brands and perform similar. I have a Chinese 3-n-1 mig, tig, plasma cutter and that thing is awesome, cuts up to a quarter inch metal with the plasma and the mig/tig lay down nice beads. I've had it for about 3 yrs with no issue, it cost about $150 when I bought it.
Do you mind posting the brand and model when you have some time? I'd be interested to see what it is.

Currently, Canadian Tire has the Lincoln Mig Pack on sale for $800 CAD instead of $980. I have NO bearing if this is a good price or not though. Here's a screen grab.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 10.29.06 AM.png

Last edited:
Sure, don't know brand name or if it has one, the only thing it says on it is ct312. I didn't get mine from this website but this is the one.

https://digitalzakka.com/product/po...JkP84c-0mKjobsqpFgOMXSj8cE-uJJuxoCssYQAvD_BwE

Admittedly I've not used the mig function on it yet, I have a Hobart 140 for that.

What is your budget for the machine?
Ideally I’d like to keep it under $1000, but at the very top end would be $1500. This is Canadian however so roughly $700-$1000 USD.

I’ve used a lot of Miller, and Lincoln machines over the years, and of course they’re solid, as well as easy to get consumables, and other parts for. As mentioned above; ESAB makes some quality stuff these days as well. My next setup for lighter duty will absolutely be an Everlast machine. If you have a buddy that owns one, go burn some metal-you won’t be let down, and the reliability/parts availability is up there with Miller, Lincoln, etc… And the price… is RIGHT. 🤙

Get an off the shelf Lincoln MIG that checks your boxes, as long as you’re getting a bottle of CO2 or other to go with it. They just can’t be beaten for the money. I have a 20 something year-old 160 that basically does everything I need shy of 1/4” steel. And it feeds well and welds good enough to make you look like a pro. It will do that 1/4” as well on a “light usage” scale, but not for serious farm use.

Get an off the shelf Lincoln MIG that checks your boxes, as long as you’re getting a bottle of CO2 or other to go with it. They just can’t be beaten for the money. I have a 20 something year-old 160 that basically does everything I need shy of 1/4” steel. And it feeds well and welds good enough to make you look like a pro. It will do that 1/4” as well on a “light usage” scale, but not for serious farm use.
Yeah, probably going to be the way I go. Going to stop in at a supply shop and see what they’ve got on Monday. Lincoln and Miller both have sales going right now.

I was surprised how well I could weld with a cheap Eastwood mig with shielding gas.
Prior to that I used a Miller Diversion TIG machine that was amazing.

For little jobs around the house that don't need to be pretty like a show car/race car then a wire fed MIG is hard to beat...

Back