Any welder and machinists here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rottster

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton EXB
My light Mig jacket.
IMG_5975.JPG

Used to be a machinist in tool & die, and mould making. I also stick and mig weld. I Have a little experience tig welding but could use way more practice.

That guy on your jacket has no skin. Did he accidentally set himself on fire too?

Not that it's something I've ever done before three times. 🔥

Last edited:
Used to be a machinist in tool & die, and mould making. I also stick and mig weld. I Have a little experience tig welding but could use way more practice.

That guy on your jacket has no skin. Did he accidentally set himself on fire too?

Not that it's something I've ever done before there times. 🔥
In theory it's representative of our sacrifice to produce a quality product, It's literally the skin off our back.
I am just learning to mig weld, starting off with some good ole flux core🤣

Probably my best so far:

View attachment 310313

Machining is too expensive for me🤣🤑

Not too shabby my friend! You obviously took the care of prepping your steel and that IS key. Heck, if I could afford to own a shop, you'd be my first apprentice! You are rushing..... Make cursive small "e"s and it'll look like a stack of dimes but, you'll overheat. Just push the puddle of molten steel, take your time but don't over heat.

Last edited:
Due to the rising interest rates, over 20 locations world wide have cancelled their orders and are taking the lease penalty over interest rates. So our company had 50 million in orders, one of my machines is 600k off the floor and shipped... I have a side hustle, but poop's going to get thin. I hate to get political, but that democratic doddering dipshit has fiddlesticked us sooo bad that ten years of a reasonable and fiscally responsible leadership might get us back to normal.

Last edited:
Used to build barges/ boats.
This is raw 5/32 6011 welding unions in the floor for plumbing in the 2nd deck/ living quarters.

Consistency

View attachment 310314

Stainless? i see 3 runs to keep from deforming. Outstanding! 304 is pretty forgiving and I've welded 304 to mild and both steels were happy. :)
Used to build barges/ boats.
This is raw 5/32 6011 welding unions in the floor for plumbing in the 2nd deck/ living quarters.

Consistency

View attachment 310314
Are you former US Navy/Marine? Ah, just caught the 6011.. great rod for just about everything and arc wow sir, you are an artist.

Last edited:
Stainless? i see 3 runs to keep from deforming. Outstanding! 304 is pretty forgiving and I've welded 304 to mild and both steels were happy. :)

Are you former US Navy/Marine?

Yessum. Some don't realize you can weld them so easily.
I would also weld mild to brass wheel nuts with brass rods. Gotta weld that 100% flat. The freeze is even slower then stainless but you run them about the same.
I miss welding. Nobody pays good enough around here for it though.

Yessum. Some don't realize you can weld them so easily.
I would also weld mild to brass wheel nuts with brass rods. Gotta weld that 100% flat. The freeze is even slower then stainless but you run them about the same.
I miss welding. Nobody pays good enough around here for it though.
This is what i can do given decent material. Btw, thank you for your service.

weld one.jpg

This is what i can do given decent material. Btw, thank you for your service.

View attachment 310316

Shoot! I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't even catch that question. I am not a vet unfortunately 😕 I was referring to the stainless.
Just a Boilermaker.
I am just learning to mig weld, starting off with some good ole flux core🤣

Probably my best so far:

View attachment 310313

Machining is too expensive for me🤣🤑

Nothing wrong with Flux core really. Its all I have here at the house. I don't have time to be running for gas when I break something and need to weld it.

Last edited:
Fabricator/Welder here. Used to do a lot of stick welding as an apprentice. Valves and castings. Usually 6013's or 7018's. Mostly mag bare wire now with positional work. Some alu tig as the work dictates. View attachment 310318View attachment 310319
Your doin the kinda welding I wanted to get into. This is the crap I did. Building a double bottom barge here.

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

No, the only thing we used that for was like the pad eyes, dogs, wedges.. anything that wasn't permanent to the structures. Everything on those gas barges is wire.
That's a lot of metreage.

Some more positional stuff.
20180706_094459.jpg
20180706_094435_1.jpg
20180706_094414.jpg

Here in the UK legislation is killing the job. RPE is mandatory is most workplaces which is fine. The introduction of on-torch extraction as mandatory in workshops is another thing entirely. Heavy, cumbersome introduces turbulence into the weld pool. I'm RWC at the company I work for and guys fail basic multi run t fillets for inclusion, porosity, over compensating the current for the extraction systems. Better off in the "field" I used to repair industrial boilers putting in d patches etc. None of this trouble with local extraction. Struggle to get equivalent $18 p/h atm at a lot of firms.

Last edited:
I’ve made a chip or two in my time ….
Spent more time on lathe and mill than I care to remember!
I can weld
But it usually isn’t pretty
It’ll hold but not pretty
I have a MiG but I don’t use flux core wire
Personal preference imo

I love welding, has been awhile though.

I got really good at stick welding years ago, to the point i didn't have to chip the flux off, it would peel itself off, or i could knock it once and it would all fall off, no grinder needed.

Mig welding was a breeze after that...then i did a tig welding course and wow..although i did well i wish i had kept at it, tried getting a tig welding job but everywhere i went i was told i didn't have enough experience(HOURS) which was fair enough, but yeah fell in love with it.

Recently got an oxy torch and want to do some brazing which I've never done before.

Oh...LOVE the jacket! :love::cool:(y)

In theory it's representative of our sacrifice to produce a quality product, It's literally the skin off our back.

Not too shabby my friend! You obviously took the care of prepping your steel and that IS key. Heck, if I could afford to own a shop, you'd be my first apprentice! You are rushing..... Make cursive small "e"s and it'll look like a stack of dimes but, you'll overheat. Just push the puddle of molten steel, take your time but don't over heat.
Very cool jacket and some amazing welders here.

My favorite part of welding is that zen moment when everything is flowing and nothing else in the world is happening. A bomb could go off right behind you and you would still finish your bead before stopping to look what that noise was.😁😁

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back