Recommend me a battery charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20170310_155841.jpg

This thing is so small lol
And light weight

20170312_164158.jpg

Testing the new charger
The fans are quiet lol
Aint like the hitec x1 touch
And this thing have two fans one on each side

So far balance is good on my batteries
20170312_164151.jpg

20170312_164132.jpg

I need to get used too with this small charger
Looks like a toy for kids lol
I can put it inside my ammo can hahah

How long does it take to charge those two batteries simultaneously at 1C with that charger?

So I got the Venom Pro Duo because my kids Traxxas charger would timeout every time I tried to put the batteries in storage mode. Now I've got both batteries connected to the Venom, and 2 hours later both cells in both batteries are sitting at 3.84v. 2 hour later and it still isn't finished? Does this sound right?

Balancing should add around 5 minutes to the end of a charge cycle with everything working properly. Given you are not using any of the same charging or balancing leads you used with the other charger, it is safe to say your lipo is bad.

So I got the Venom Pro Duo because my kids Traxxas charger would timeout every time I tried to put the batteries in storage mode. Now I've got both batteries connected to the Venom, and 2 hours later both cells in both batteries are sitting at 3.84v. 2 hour later and it still isn't finished? Does this sound right?
Run them batteries and storaged charged them much faster
Unless you have a discharger like lights

Not sure what was going on, but I stopped both batteries and started the storage mode again. It then brought both batteries down to 3.81 fairly quick. This charger uses 3.75 for a storage charge instead of 3.85 and I guess that can't be changed, so I stopped them. (Both cells in both batteries were exactly the same; 3.81.)

Don't think I'd call them bad yet. They've only been charged 4 times since brand new, were never run beyond the ESC cut-off, and were storage charged after every use.

Also Dustin; this is when putting them to storage voltage, not charging them. All cells are always within .01 volts of each other.

Im sure there's info on here.... But I figure I'd throw this question out there again. I'm an oldie who's becoming a newbie again. Im currently using the old MRC rb 465 charger from the days of late 80's early 90's.
Looking for a charger that will do my Nimh packs and the lipo's I will eventually have!!!
What do you guys suggest?
Thanks!

Im sure there's info on here.... But I figure I'd throw this question out there again. I'm an oldie who's becoming a newbie again. Im currently using the old MRC rb 465 charger from the days of late 80's early 90's.
Looking for a charger that will do my Nimh packs and the lipo's I will eventually have!!!
Thanks!
Thanks!

This Does it All The "Cadillac of Chargers."

Attachments

• 14901714309101787195386.jpg
    14901714309101787195386.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 88
Not sure what was going on, but I stopped both batteries and started the storage mode again. It then brought both batteries down to 3.81 fairly quick. This charger uses 3.75 for a storage charge instead of 3.85 and I guess that can't be changed, so I stopped them. (Both cells in both batteries were exactly the same; 3.81.)

Don't think I'd call them bad yet. They've only been charged 4 times since brand new, were never run beyond the ESC cut-off, and were storage charged after every use.

Also Dustin; this is when putting them to storage voltage, not charging them. All cells are always within .01 volts of each other.

Oh, sorry, I missed that part. Most chargers (that don't have a regenerative function) take forever to discharge because they have nothing to do with the energy other than turn it into heat.

Get yourself one of those cheap lipo alarms like below and set it to 3.7v which should get you a resting voltage of right around 3.85v. Running them down to a storage condition is way quicker and a lot more fun than babysitting a charger.

Also, storing at 3.75v kind of defeats the purpose imo.

LIPO-ALARM-1-2.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, sorry, I missed that part. Most chargers (that don't have a regenerative function) take forever to discharge because they have nothing to do with the energy other than turn it into heat.

Get yourself one of those cheap lipo alarms like below and set it to 3.7v which should get you a resting voltage of right around 3.85v. Running them down to a storage condition is way quicker and a lot more fun than babysitting a charger.

Also, storing at 3.75v kind of defeats the purpose imo.
I was just running until the ESC low voltage cutoff, then putting them in storage mode. Figured I was close enough (and the truck won't really move in LVM anyway). I'll definitely pick one of these up and try it out, though!

I was just running until the ESC low voltage cutoff, then putting them in storage mode. Figured I was close enough (and the truck won't really move in LVM anyway). I'll definitely pick one of these up and try it out, though!

LVC should be used like a reserve parachute. Only rely on it when your primary method of battery protection fails. Check out the lipo 80% rule if you are not familiar for more info on why.

I have a FMA PowerLab 8. I know this is somewhat over kill for most (got it when I flew helicopters a lot).
It does require an external power supply, I'm using two 12V 47Amp server power supplies.You can pick them up on
E-bay cheap. The PL-8 can charge any of the battery chemistry that are out there and do it quit safely.
I can charge four 5000 4s packs at the same time (using a parallel adapter) from storage charge to full charge in twenty minutes.
Like I said before probably overkill when you can get twenty minutes of drive time with our cars, but needed when you get five minutes flying a heli.

So I just bought some of these lipo alarms, and got a brand new 6S battery yesterday. When I got home, I plugged the alarm in and it showed cell voltages anywhere from 3.71 up to 3.89. I was pissed, figuring my battery was out of whack. I plugged the battery into my Venom Pro Duo, and it showed 5 cells at 3.84 and one at 3.85.

I know it's better for the alarm to show a voltage lower than normal rather than higher, but is this typical of these alarms? Seems extremely inaccurate to me, considering they say the accuracy is within .01.

I have two of the ones just like in the picture I posted and they are both accurate to 0.02v or so. Not perfect, but close enough for what I use it for. Yours is certainly too far off to be of any use. Should be easy enough to exchange it for a good one if it really is that far off. I would double check it with a multimeter, your charger could be the one that is off.

Last edited:
So I just bought some of these lipo alarms, and got a brand new 6S battery yesterday. When I got home, I plugged the alarm in and it showed cell voltages anywhere from 3.71 up to 3.89. I was pissed, figuring my battery was out of whack. I plugged the battery into my Venom Pro Duo, and it showed 5 cells at 3.84 and one at 3.85.

I know it's better for the alarm to show a voltage lower than normal rather than higher, but is this typical of these alarms? Seems extremely inaccurate to me, considering they say the accuracy is within .01.

Did you check it with more than one of the alarms? I buy mine 4 for $10 shipped from Amazon so I'd expect one of them to be bad before the $100 balancing charger. But anything is possible....

Back