Questions about big TP motors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
I believe the 6/4 is a residual from the excel spec sheet that has the 2510, 1930, 1560 and 1298kv motors listed, so somewhere in there will be a different winding

I am not aware of any ESC that can handle that motor.

It is recommended for the 56 mm or 58mm motors from TP to stay at 1460kv or lower if speed run high amperage is the use case.

Bashers can get away with higher kv but still may be hard on the ESC.

I just came across this beast of a motor and have a couple questions.

First, what kind of ESC can handle this thing? I think it’s too many RPM for the XLX2.

Second, what does this mean in the specs: “Pole: 6-pole /4-pole“ Is this motor 6 pole or 4 pole?

https://tppowerusa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=576
6 pole refers to the motors construction... In a nutshell, a 6 pole provides more torque but less rpm as they are typically lower kv motors, but they can achieve the same rpm/top speed through correct gearing. I run a 5840s 1150kv 6 pole in my Xmaxx with a Max5, previously ran it with a MMX8S, it rips with both. 6 pole and D wind motors originally gave grief to the XLX2, hence the fires on the original ones, but after the software updates they seem to be much better.

The motor you linked to would be best suited for drag racing on 8s, but it would do fine in pretty much anything on 6s, the biggest downfall being that it's too heavy for a 6s bash rig imo.

6 pole refers to the motors construction... In a nutshell, a 6 pole provides more torque but less rpm as they are typically lower kv motors, but they can achieve the same rpm/top speed through correct gearing. I run a 5840s 1150kv 6 pole in my Xmaxx with a Max5, previously ran it with a MMX8S, it rips with both. 6 pole and D wind motors originally gave grief to the XLX2, hence the fires on the original ones, but after the software updates they seem to be much better.

The motor you linked to would be best suited for drag racing on 8s, but it would do fine in pretty much anything on 6s, the biggest downfall being that it's too heavy for a 6s bash rig imo.
Thanks. I understand the motor poles (a little bit at least). My question is whether this is a 6-pole or a 4-pole motor. Here’s what the spec sheet says:

1713322147551.png

Last edited:
Thanks. I understand the motor poles (a little bit at least). My question is whether this is a 6-pole or a 4-pole motor. Here’s what the spec sheet says:

View attachment 361335
Currently all 56 and 58 mm motors from TP are 6-pole

That thing looks like it needs one of those expensive MGM esc :ROFLMAO:

I just looked at R-Mamba (ebay distributor for TP) listing for that motor,and it only shows it as a 6 pole, so I would assume it's just a publishing mistake on the TPUSA website

I just looked at R-Mamba (ebay distributor for TP) listing for that motor,and it only shows it as a 6 pole, so I would assume it's just a publishing mistake on the TPUSA website
I miss the old website tbh. It was old school but it was much easier to browse more motors 😔

Back