Questions about big motors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobias0044

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys,
I'm new to RC Cars and want to build one. My first Question what happends when I combine a really big motor with a small ESC? Do I have any disadvantages when I choose a too big motor? Like burn the ESC or power cutting out?
Thanks for help;)

You got it. Too big of a motor will kill the ESC.

ESCs typically list specifications for supported motors. It’s wise to stay within those printed limits.

^^^

11A3CC4D-4D0A-4366-8E20-CE67D897D16D.gif

Check out the build-logs section. Look at some of the guys builds, they will give you a idea on electronics.

Does the ESC's doesn't have safety protections? My Plan is to use a MAX5 200A with a TP Motor that should draw 230A max at 30V

Does the ESC's doesn't have safety protections? My Plan is to use a MAX5 200A with a TP Motor that should draw 230A max at 30V

Depending on the gearing and weight of the rig that setup should work ok.
The ESC does have protection in the form of amperage limiting to protect it self. HobbyWing escs are so reliable because of the amperage limiting.

Thanks you for your advice. I am overwhelmed by the number of quick and helpful replies on this forum:love::love:

Comparatively speaking, that’s not a “small ESC” paired with the motor. It’s also a quality ESC so it should work - and as mentioned above - if you’re really going to gear up - there’s also the new MAX4…

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back