New Traxxas truggy????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So they finally made a direct competitor to the K8, interesting. I'll admit it definitely looks cool, I like how they incorporated air intake vents into the body. I also think it's pretty cool how they made the motor/heat sinks look like a V8 engine. But the real kicker is that it's not much more than the price of a new K8 :oops: Smart move by Traxxas, initially I would've thought they would've priced this in the $1,200.00 range. But they actually made the pricing competitive this go round. I'm not a huge Traxxas fan, but I really don't have anything negative to say about this rig. I just wish they were a little easier to work on, perhaps that would sway my opinion on Traxxas.

It looks like a good truck, nothing revolutionary just more of what we expect from Traxxas. I’m sure they’ll be a great platform for mods
So they finally made a direct competitor to the K8, interesting. I'll admit it definitely looks cool, I like how they incorporated air intake vents into the body. I also think it's pretty cool how they made the motor/heat sinks look like a V8 engine. But the real kicker is that it's not much more than the price of a new K8 :oops: Smart move by Traxxas, initially I would've thought they would've priced this in the $1,200.00 range. But they actually made the pricing competitive this go round. I'm not a huge Traxxas fan, but I really don't have anything negative to say about this rig. I just wish they were a little easier to work on, perhaps that would sway my opinion on Traxxas.
I agree except imo the Xmaxx is easy to work on so if this car is anything like that, we should expect the same

What did you upgrade?
The motor, ESC, aluminum diff cases, custom center split driveshaft, aluminum diff covers, the pinion and spur gear and shaft, the motor mount, the radio, the tires, aluminum spur gear cover, battery straps, Xmaxx upgraded servo (after original died,) roll cage to protect the body and for the body not to fly away during big crashes, beefed up the front upper hinge pin retainers, RPM hinge pins, steering nuckles/hubs with bigger inner bearings from Traxxas, rear rpm hubs, and I think that's it.
I bent the chassis on both my Outcast 8s and EXB K8S only after a few jumps 🤷

Have you heard of a magical thing called "clear bodies"?
I don't like painting bodies. I really hate trimming them, but painting also not my thing. One reason I love Arrma is they have the best looking bodies in my opinion.
Big reason I sold my MT410 is they don't make stock trimmed and painted bodies for them. I painted up a proline body, but still never looked as good as a stock Arrma body fitted to a rig. Say what you will....performance is my main factor for rigs, but looks is a close second.

This thing looks like blast! I wonder if it drives like the K8S? Because that truck is awesome too!

All sintered gearing again? I really like that Horizon uses CNC metal gears for the diffs on 6S and 8S.

Last edited:
This thing looks like blast! I wonder if it drives like the K8S? Because that truck is awesome too!

I wonder if it is all sintered gearing again? I really like that Horizon uses CNC metal gears for the diffs on 6S and 8S.
Yeah the internal gears are amazing on the 8s Arrmas, BUT mine keep getting destroyed by those stupid flimsy bolts that they used on the diffs and the center diff 😢. My internal gears on my X-Maxx hold up great to the 8s power coming from my Max 5 and 1100kv 5687 motor. I did have to put a shim in front of the output drives, I had to put aluminum diff covers and cases and a few more tweaks. With those upgrades, the Xmaxx is very reliable. And yes the stock spur gear and pinion are not that great. But they do last a long time. I also had to put some aluminum inserts around the motor mount bolts so that the motor would stop moving (the stock motor). I did put an upgrade aluminum motor mount on the stock Xmaxx motor too. And I ditched those little pins that Traxxas uses for the mesh. I forgot to mention those upgrades too. The XTR would probably need all those upgrades if someone were to put big power on it.

Last edited:
Wish they made an all black one, or black and dark grey.

245776BC-F6D9-4918-8064-5B696120FCDB.jpeg

I’ve seen pictures but sadly I haven’t seen it be confirmed as a color.

If I didn't already have a k8s and o8s this might be my first traxxas. I already don't pull those trucks out enough though.
Good thing that you don't. Those rigs are nice, but I've had to put a lot of money into them to make them durable. And they are not reliable long term (at least for me). And I only do like 20ft jumps. I suspect that the 12 HP generated my the XLX2 system is just too much for the 8s Arrma truck. I think that the new 8s Traxxas truggie will be a good basher, but it's going to need upgrades like the Xmaxx to make it more durable.

@LicketySplit you definitely need it!
You must be talking to another LicketySplit. I don’t bash much, but when I do I bash in Outcast 6s EXB. I’m also the most interesting man in the room.

I’m alone. Kids are asleep and the wife is still working

One more thought I'd like to add, if Traxxas found a way to make the XTR handle bad landings better than the K8 & O8, then they've earned a sincere "tip of the hat" from me. I don't take my K8 out often, I loathe landing incorrectly and bending axles 😬 I'm waiting for Talbot to get his hands on this thing!

I don't like painting bodies. I really hate trimming them, but painting also not my thing. One reason I love Arrma is they have the best looking bodies in my opinion.
Big reason I sold my MT410 is they don't make stock trimmed and painted bodies for them. I painted up a proline body, but still never looked as good as a stock Arrma body fitted to a rig. Say what you will....performance is my main factor for rigs, but looks is a close second.
Traxxas bodies come pre trimmed.

Back