New member to the family. WLToys 144001. So much fun for under $100. Added post with home made LED mod for night driving to last page.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was free. Out of the two sets we got with our trucks we have one good radio and one reliable-ish reciever so I bound them together for now.

If I just got another dumborc reciever it should be easy enough to use the transmitters we have(?)

Yes the STX2 is legendary poop quality.

Gday all. Sorry to dig up an old thread. I've ordered two of these for my son and I as starters. I've done a fair bit of reading, but I'm just interested in what jobs we should do out of the box? So far it seems like greasing the diffs, thread locking the wheel nuts, checking the oil level in the shocks and doing a general tighten of screws is a good idea. Apart from some additional lipos and an inventory of spare parts, is there anything else we should do straight up? I'm also thinking limiting the throttle is a good idea to begin with...

Thanks for the discussion, it's been a good read.

Gday all. Sorry to dig up an old thread. I've ordered two of these for my son and I as starters. I've done a fair bit of reading, but I'm just interested in what jobs we should do out of the box? So far it seems like greasing the diffs, thread locking the wheel nuts, checking the oil level in the shocks and doing a general tighten of screws is a good idea. Apart from some additional lipos and an inventory of spare parts, is there anything else we should do straight up? I'm also thinking limiting the throttle is a good idea to begin with...

Fun cars, I think you have the bases covered. Good luck with them.

Keep spares and watch that esc temp
cuts way too late

I'm pretty sure my LVC was set stupid low, like 3.0v or something.
Yes. Get a lipo alarm for sure. Or time your runs but those alarms are cheap and effective.
I got a screw kit for mine and it's come in handy. They strip pretty easily and are wierd sizes I couldn't figure out. The main ones like for the shocks are metric and pretty common. They are not included but are easy to find but the wierd array of oddball sized and self tapping screws and stuff is a maze.

Yes. Get a lipo alarm for sure. Or time your runs but those alarms are cheap and effective.
I got a screw kit for mine and it's come in handy. They strip pretty easily and are wierd sizes I couldn't figure out. The main ones like for the shocks are metric and pretty common. They are not included but are easy to find but the wierd array of oddball sized and self tapping screws and stuff is a maze.
It's m2.6, the Lc Racing screw kit will work for the most part and they are all hex.

I just finished a mod on my WLtoys 144001.

This new body and mounting hardware is all because of quadifyrc.com to me: the authority on all things WLtoys.

Turned out awesome.

Can't wait to run it.
20210701_124703.jpg
20210701_145324.jpg

20210701_153217.jpg

I just finished a mod on my WLtoys 144001.

This new body and mounting hardware is all because of quadifyrc.com to me: the authority on all things WLtoys.

Turned out awesome.

Can't wait to run it.
20210701_124703.jpg
20210701_145324.jpg

20210701_153217.jpg
Highlights include the front bumper and the new body/mounting posts which allow for a good arrangement for ESC.
Here's a look at the electronics

Attachments

• 20210701_153223.jpg
    20210701_153223.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210701_153228.jpg
    20210701_153228.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210701_154722.jpg
    20210701_154722.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Ok. I need new turnbuckles/rod ends

Is there a hobby alternative for these links? Like size of pivot ball / length of rod equivalent so I don't have to order banggood??

Ok. I need new turnbuckles/rod ends

Is there a hobby alternative for these links? Like size of pivot ball / length of rod equivalent so I don't have to order banggood??
Lc Racing turnbuckles you will need 2 sets of these. https://casterracingmi.com/index.ph...duct_id=1595&sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=100

Lc Racing pivot balls https://casterracingmi.com/index.ph...duct_id=1603&sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=100

And if you want use RPM rod ends I like them better than the stock Lc Racing rod ends. https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/suspension-accessories/heavy-duty-rod-ends-12-4-40/

I ordered some metal links with pivot ball integral also.

And found the LC ball ends. Those are coming too.

The links are a weak point. I don't know how my plastic a arms are going to like it but I have a feeling the rod ends will arrive first and I'll try those with the stock ball ends. No work? Wait for LC ball ends? No work? Metal links.
The thing is fun as all heck.

Wheelies like a champ at speed. Goes like stink. Serious cogging from a dead stop but no slipper and huge ass tires will do that I guess.

Looks bad ass and crashes mean way less damage. The links were done in already. The front bumper and body protecting the shocks and stuff is a huge improvement.

But traction rollovers are insane. Stoppies mean front flip.

The wheelbase and stance are just too little for the power I put in there. But al least the body protects the electronics now.

I tried the rpm links with the stock ball ends and it was so tight the suspension would not return and there was no freaking way the servo could have turned the wheels. I need to wait for the ball ends.. sadness noises.

I never noticed the WL Toys ball ends were larger. I just tried to put the LC Racing ball cups on and I couldn't get it on there. OMG how did you get the RPM ball cups on those balls? I left imprints in my fingers from trying to get those suckers on there

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back