New Castle 1/6 Mamba Monster X 8s esc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worlds fastest Traxxas is running a MMX8s on 6s power.
177 mph 4tec 2.0 running a SAGA custom RC carbon fiber chassis.

1588773499462.png

I am not crazy about this guy's and his language, but I respect him for his achievements with RC speed runs.

For now..??

I hope your going to beat that speed with your 4tec..???
The car will be capable of it, just not sure if I have a road that is smooth enough for the tiny 65-69 mm tires these 1/10 cars have.
They can only fit small 3s packs so I have a big advantage over them as mine will fit 2 of the 6000 mAh 4s packs with no issues.

To update this thread there is known issues with the screws in some scenarios contacting the capacitors. Also not enough space between the fan and the fan cover. Something worth inspecting if you have an early release MMX8s.

Fastest 1/7 scale Limitless open wheel that I have seen running the MMX8s at 151 mph. Technically not an official pass if you don't/cant drive it back to yourself so the FB GPS league wouldn't count it, but I think it's valid, since there was no crash.

Video kind of sucks, but shows the ESC and speed of the run. I had always wondered about running on a drag strip...

I broke a fan blade on my MMX8S today and also the power switch no longer works, it’s permanently on. This was in the EXB today. Going to have to spend some time on the phone with Castle tomorrow.

That's ridiculous. Does bookface count Phil's when he gets into his car to find his RC at the end of the street?
No that would not count. It has to drive back

I broke a fan blade on my MMX8S today and also the power switch no longer works, it’s permanently on. This was in the EXB today. Going to have to spend some time on the phone with Castle tomorrow.

So they can send you another broke butt fan? Don't even bother, order a nice fan.
No that would not count. It has to drive back

Well that's a dumb rule and If I was in charge it would be squashed.. ;)

That's ridiculous. Does bookface count Phil's when he gets into his car to find his RC at the end of the street?
As Jon mentioned that would not count. It is the same group leader that runs ROSSA. I am glad they at least allow GPS. ROSSA requires a $1200+ TrackMate speed trap setup which is way over priced. You could make your own with a microcontroller setup but they require that brand specifically.
The ideas of these rules is very similar to rules at the Bonneville salt flats and other land speed organizations. Because it is electric we cant easily do the whole average of 2 passes concept due to voltage dropping each run.

So they can send you another broke butt fan? Don't even bother, order a nice fan.

Well that's a dumb rule and If I was in charge it would be squashed.. ;)
No plan on getting their fan. I am worried about the power switch not working.

Probably a short inside the switch, no biggy. Install a new one, grab a WTF fan and go play. (y)
I have a bunch of fans to choose from and can solder the plug from the stock fan on any of them no problem. But, my throttle cut out like it was LVC at the time that I noticed the power switch won’t turn off. The pack was at 3.8v per cell. I have LVC set to 3.4v. It was a Graphene Panther 5.0 6S pack. Pretty sure something more serious is wrong with it.

As Jon mentioned that would not count. It is the same group leader that runs ROSSA. I am glad they at least allow GPS. ROSSA requires a $1200+ TrackMate speed trap setup which is way over priced. You could make your own with a microcontroller setup but they require that brand specifically.
The ideas of these rules is very similar to rules at the Bonneville salt flats and other land speed organizations. Because it is electric we cant easily do the whole average of 2 passes concept due to voltage dropping each run.

Makes sense. Just like with everything, something always has to be difficult.. :cool:
I have a bunch of fans to choose from and can solder the plug from the stock fan on any of them no problem. But, my throttle cut out like it was LVC at the time that I noticed the power switch won’t turn off. The pack was at 3.8v per cell. I have LVC set to 3.4v. It was a Graphene Panther 5.0 6S pack. Pretty sure something more serious is wrong with it.

So the plot thickens.. Maybe the pack went to 3.4, it cut off and when you checked it she rebounded back up a few notches. Happens.

The fact that it did 120mph on 6s with a 1515 castle 2200kv is an indicator that it outputs some high amperage. More so than the max 6 or max 5. Could be the goto ESC for all uses? Only time will tell.
Yeah I have the max 5 and max 6 and the mmx8s is the strongest and has more features. I also have 2 xlx and i think its peppier than the xlx, and can run sensored so i like it a lot more plus the size you can put it places you can't put a xlx.

Only problem is im on 3rd one, as its getting expensive to use my favorite esc.

One caught on fire in my living room when I tried to do a kv test through castlelink.

The second one stopped working after a speed run in my limitless, on acceleration It felt like it hesitated then my car flipped and I grabbed it and went home later trying to grab the data log and use it i noticed it didn't work anymore no real signs of damage or smells.

Then i got a 3rd one and had the female bullet connect on the C plug melt off.

Im hesitant with contacting castle for warranty cause 3 of them? Yeah 3. I looked on there site and saw you have to fill out forms and provide receipts im going to have to see if i can pull up bank records or sites where I got them from, 1 was on ebay 1 on Amazon 1 from amain. Seems like such a headache. ☹

Attachments

• 20200803_151121.jpg
    20200803_151121.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 65
Yeah I have the max 5 and max 6 and the mmx8s is the strongest and has more features. I also have 2 xlx and i think its peppier than the xlx, and can run sensored so i like it a lot more plus the size you can put it places you can't put a xlx.

Only problem is im on 3rd one, as its getting expensive to use my favorite esc.

One caught on fire in my living room when I tried to do a kv test through castlelink.

The second one stopped working after a speed run in my limitless, on acceleration It felt like it hesitated then my car flipped and I grabbed it and went home later trying to grab the data log and use it i noticed it didn't work anymore no real signs of damage or smells.

Then i got a 3rd one and had the female bullet connect on the C plug melt off.

Im hesitant with contacting castle for warranty cause 3 of them? Yeah 3. I looked on there site and saw you have to fill out forms and provide receipts im going to have to see if i can pull up bank records or sites where I got them from, 1 was on ebay 1 on Amazon 1 from amain. Seems like such a headache. ☹
Any ESC running 7,000 to 12,000 watts is a ticking time bomb in my humble opinion. Even the XLX is not immune to this.

I got mine on eBay also and pray nothing like this happens.
My buddy says it is always best to purchase direct from Castle if you plan to take advantage of the warranty. One day ill take his advice ?

Any ESC running 7,000 to 12,000 watts is a ticking time bomb in my humble opinion. Even the XLX is not immune to this.

I got mine on eBay also and pray nothing like this happens.
My buddy says it is always best to purchase direct from Castle if you plan to take advantage of the warranty. One day ill take his advice ?
you have had 3 mmx8s go bad? wow insane bad luck brother. I bet i have had 10 or more. I build cars for people and usually use mmx8s. My favorite esc now. i have 3 here now. just made a run with the 1717/mmx8s combo in my slash at 153mph. love that combo now.

Probably a short inside the switch, no biggy. Install a new one, grab a WTF fan and go play. (y)
I busted my new WTF fan in about 6 minutes. 2 blades gone.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back