Need help Elegoo Neptune 4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slick2500

Anything will break if you drive it wrong enough.
Community Leader
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 3s
I need help with this thing before I rip my hair out. I cannot get the bed on this stupid thing to level or hold level for the life of me. I've leveled this thing out like eleventy billion times each time I have to make large changes to the center point.

This is where I started this morning before I leveled it.

1711913668981.png

1711913695556.png

After I leveled it.

1711912787933.png

1711912800248.png

1711912813950.png

Leveled it yet again.

1711913832494.png

And again.

1711912898545.png

1711912839622.jpeg

On the next test print the nozzle just jammed itself into the bed.

1711912966491.png

Got this error while trying to auto level.

1711914265239.png

Releveled the center point only so far this time.

1711913480377.png

What the hell is going on with this thing?

I need help with this thing before I rip my hair out. I cannot get the bed on this stupid thing to level or hold level for the life of me. I've leveled this thing out like eleventy billion times each time I have to make large changes to the center point.

This is where I started this morning before I leveled it.

View attachment 357976

View attachment 357977

After I leveled it.

View attachment 357967

View attachment 357968

View attachment 357969

Leveled it yet again.

View attachment 357980

And again.

View attachment 357972

View attachment 357970

On the next test print the nozzle just jammed itself into the bed.

View attachment 357973

Got this error while trying to auto level.

View attachment 357986

Releveled the center point only so far this time.

View attachment 357974

What the hell is going on with this thing?

Sounds like you need to have a beer... First.

Is this a Brand New printer or Pre-Owned?
I see you have a printer Already have a printed chain guide for the ribbon cable..?

So, when you say you've leveled the bed... 11 Billion times. >>>
Did you Actually use the Manual Leveling Knobs*** to adjust the correct bed level?
Or did you just take the lazy route and let the machine's A.i. do the bed probing for you?

And, what filament are you printing with?
What temps are you running?

***You Must Manually adjust/Level the bed Before doing the Auto Bed Leveling mesh.
AND, preferably with the bed heated up to your desired filament temperatures. For both nozzle & build plate.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to have a beer... First.

Is this a Brand New printer or Pre-Owned?
I see you have a printer Already have a printed chain guide for the ribbon cable..?

So, when you say you've leveled the bed... 11 Billion times. >>>
Did you Actually use the Manual Leveling Knobs*** to adjust the correct bed level?
Or did you just take the lazy route and let the machine's A.i. do the bed probing for you?

And, what filament are you printing with?
What temps are you running?

***You Must Manually adjust/Level the bed Before doing the Auto Bed Leveling mesh.
AND, preferably with the bed heated up to your desired filament temperatures. For both nozzle & build plate.

Certified refurbished.

It was running great on Thursday and Friday, I printed the cable chain, a spool mount, filament sensor holder, camera mount with x axis stopper, y axis stopper and a few other random things then yesterday I started having issues.

Yes I have manually leveled the bed with the knobs each and every single time. Then went through the auto level afterwards.

eSun PLA+

205/60.

I am currently trying this to see if it helps any. I just need to find the dashboard to run that Probe_calibrate command.

1711920605068.png

This is exactly why I haven’t tried 3D Printing. I would have smashed that thing already! I’m far too much of a neanderthal to figure that out.
Phone Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Certified refurbished.

It was running great on Thursday and Friday, I printed the cable chain, a spool mount, filament sensor holder, camera mount with x axis stopper, y axis stopper and a few other random things then yesterday I started having issues.

Yes I have manually leveled the bed with the knobs each and every single time. Then went through the auto level afterwards.

eSun PLA+

205/60.

I am currently trying this to see if it helps any. I just need to find the dashboard to run that Probe_calibrate command.

View attachment 358018

It was brand new filament, yes?

How fast are you printing?

How moist is your room?
Humidity?

This is exactly why I haven’t tried 3D Printing. I would have smashed that thing already! I’m far too much of a neanderthal to figure that out.
Phone Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

You need a beer too ,to take the edge off.

Last edited:
It was brand new filament, yes?

How fast are you printing?

How moist is your room?
Humidity?

You need a beer too ,to take the edge off.
Yes brand new from Amazon.

60mm/s is what @Surchaufeur told me to set it to it was at 120mm/s.

Idk I don't have a Bara meter.

I already have a beer.

17119231880791448758837254639631.jpg

I noticed in the logs on this round of auto leveling this is popping up every now and then.

"Probe samples exceed tolerance. Retrying..."

Last edited:
First things first: remove the build sheet and wash it with Dawn soap, hot water, and new sponge. Let it dry. Install on build plate. Run the ABL.

My biggest concern right now is why does it keep jamming the nozzle into the bed?

My biggest concern right now is why does it keep jamming the nozzle into the bed?

Double check the cable that connects to the printhead and then check the probe on the lower back..
Take a photo, I want to see if the probe is damaged or just loose or out of alignment..

Just for reference..
ABL probe on my Neptune 4 Max
IMG_20240331_191333620.jpg

IMG_20240331_191346385.jpg

IMG_20240331_191104443~2.jpg

IMG_20240331_191140192.jpg

IMG_20240331_190915359~2.jpg

Last edited:
Well the probe looks fine that other parts with the wires coming out not so much.

17119307466407642361442200647759.jpg

Dammit.........

17119309976497403660058752156055.jpg

Well the probe looks fine that other parts with the wires coming out not so much.

View attachment 358072

Dammit.........

View attachment 358076

That looks like a previous mishap of a "blob entombment"...
Not too bad.. you can peel/scrap that off once the heating block gets up to temperature..

So, I would recommend that you disconnect & Reconnect all those plugs (carefully) just to make sure all those connections are not Loosy goosy..
(While you have them accessible.)

The good news is that I can see a upgrade Bi-Metal Heatbreak is installed.. that's very nice >>
17119309976497403660058752156055~2.jpg

That looks like a previous mishap of a "blob entombment"...
Not too bad.. you can peel/scrap that off once the heating block gets up to temperature..

Yeah I noticed that it comes off.

I'll clean that up and get it put back together after dinner. I still don't understand why it keeps jamming the nozzle into the bed though.

First things first: remove the build sheet and wash it with Dawn soap, hot water, and new sponge. Let it dry. Install on build plate. Run the ABL.

How does this affect the leveling?

Yeah I noticed that it comes off.

I'll clean that up and get it put back together after dinner.

I still don't understand why it keeps jamming the nozzle into the bed though.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say the previous owner tried to install a different/longer nozzle (when he/she upgraded to the Bi-Metal Heatbreak .. maybe 🤷‍♂️)

Which is protruding a couple of mm further than a Standard/stock nozzle...
And they didn't go into the config file or firmware to update the change in size/depth..

So the ABL probe is still going down it's prescribed depth ,but the different/longer nozzle is obviously hitting the bed BEFORE the sensor can detect the bed...

And, this is what I'm seeing that leads me to think that >>
17119309976497403660058752156055~3.jpg

That area around the neck of the nozzle should Not be there..
Not that far away from the heating block.
At least I'm not familiar to that design.

Once you clean the gloop off that area, I'm betting you'll see exposed threads ,Which shouldn't be.
Since you suppose to thread the nozzle (that's assuming with the Correct nozzle length, of course.) all the way up into the heating block.

Note:
You will NEVER get correct Bed Leveling..
Until that nozzle is installed correctly -
Either it need to be threaded further into the heating block ,IF it is the correct nozzle.

Or you need to get/swap-to the correct nozzle if it is incorrect ,ie: too long.

Last edited:
I'm going to take a wild guess and say the previous owner tried to install a different/longer nozzle (when he/she upgraded to the Bi-Metal Heatbreak .. maybe 🤷‍♂️)

Which is protruding a couple of mm further than a Standard/stock nozzle...
And they didn't go into the config file or firmware to update the change in size/depth..

So the ABL probe is still going down it's prescribed depth ,but the different/longer nozzle is obviously hitting the bed BEFORE the sensor can detect the bed...

And, this is what I'm seeing that leads me to think that >>
View attachment 358079

That area around the neck of the nozzle should Not be there..
Not that far away from the heating block.
At least I'm not familiar to that design.

Once you clean the gloop off that area, I'm betting you'll see exposed threads ,Which shouldn't be.
Since you suppose to thread the nozzle (that's assuming with the Correct nozzle length, of course.) all the way up into the heating block.

Note:
You will NEVER get correct Bed Leveling..
Until that nozzle is installed correctly -
Either it need to be threaded further into the heating block ,IF it is the correct nozzle.

Or you need to get/swap-to the correct nozzle if it is incorrect ,ie: too long.

That area around the neck is just melted filament. It wasn't jamming into the bed until today. And it looks like the stock nozzle there are 2 spares in a bag and they are the same size.

That area around the neck is just melted filament. It wasn't jamming into the bed until today. And it looks like the stock nozzle there are 2 spares in a bag and they are the same size.

Okay.
Pics?
How far into the block is it sitting?
Is it fully seated?

You got to show me.

Cause I have a different hotend than yours.

That's Not good....

What did you just do!?

You Hulked it..

Hungry Hulk Smash GIF by 8it
Idk but I'm going to need a new whatever that thing is.

Good news is a new one is only $20 or I can get an entire head for $40 and just keep this one for spares.

1711943326603.png

No Way Wow GIF

Found my problem reading Amazon reviews of the entire head unit. This dude got a bad one out of the box.

1711943443122.png

Last edited:
Idk but I'm going to need a new whatever that thing is.

Good news is a new one is only $20 or I can get an entire head for $40 and just keep this one for spares.

View attachment 358097
No Way Wow GIF

Found my problem reading Amazon reviews of the entire head unit. This dude got a bad one out of the box.

View attachment 358098

Show them the photos of the nasty entombed Heating Block & clogged nozzle...

See if you can get the seller to send you a complete Extruder/PrintHead so
you don't have to dicker with anything, just Plug-n-Play.

Hopefully it'll be a Clean , NOT crusty,and UNclogged unit..
Not another messed up one.

But, when it comes down to it -
You just need a new:
Heating Block ,
0.4mm Nozzle

Back