Kraton My newest build: The 6S Kraton SUPERLEGGERA!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! It’s Spaz Stix red pearl backed with solid blue. The pics don’t do that color justice. In the sun, it’s insane.
I know what you mean, hard to get a photo that captures all the details of a paint job. Great shade of purple by using the red with blue! (y)

I got some of my parts in today, you’ll notice the titanium dogbones and CV axles, and I added a set of M2C extended hexes I had laying around for good measure. The eagle-eyed among you will notice the rear camber links are installed wrong… I was tired when I assembled that part lol. Gonna fix it tomorrow.
IMG_0647.jpeg

IMG_0648.jpeg

The truck will likely spend most of its time on lightweight race tires, however, for testing and hooning around, it’ll run these 4s Backflip lp’s. The smaller diameter will help keep temps down, and they’re lighter then their 6s counterpart.
IMG_0650.jpeg

Still waiting on steering parts, and a couple small things that should be here Friday, and I’ll have it buttoned up and ready for testing.

"There is a massive weight difference between the stock ball and the titanium ones."

Any chance you weighed the stock ones vs the titanium ones? Very curious about this!

"There is a massive weight difference between the stock ball and the titanium ones."

Any chance you weighed the stock ones vs the titanium ones? Very curious about this!
I wish I had, but I didn’t buy a scale until after they were installed. When I do the axles on the other side maybe I’ll take one out and weigh them. You can definitely feel the difference just picking them up.

Looks great! I've often thought about doing a build like this, and you're pretty much doing it the same way I would. :) Sometimes plastic parts are simply the lightest option, and there's no need to swap them out, like the front and rear hubs.

I'm very curious to see how much lighter it ends up being than a stock Kraton.

There is some additional fat that can be trimmed off of some of the plastic bits, like the extraneous mounting ears on the front of the front and rear hubs. Zipping those off with a Dremel, and any other extra unnecessary plastic ribs can save a few bonus grams.

Looks great! I've often thought about doing a build like this, and you're pretty much doing it the same way I would. :) Sometimes plastic parts are simply the lightest option, and there's no need to swap them out, like the front and rear hubs.

I'm very curious to see how much lighter it ends up being than a stock Kraton.

There is some additional fat that can be trimmed off of some of the plastic bits, like the extraneous mounting ears on the front of the front and rear hubs. Zipping those off with a Dremel, and any other extra unnecessary plastic ribs can save a few bonus grams.
Thanks! What you’re seeing is phase 1. Just a build with carefully chosen aftermarket parts. Phase 2 is modifying the parts to make them as light as possible, while remaining strong enough to not make the truck fragile. Phase 3 will be expensive….

Welp, got my parts today, and I’ve installed them. For the first time, the truck is sitting on its own tires.
IMG_0655.jpeg

IMG_0656.jpeg

The toe links look amazing, and are light, but the only way to adjust toe now, is to shim behind the pillar balls. I still have some shimming to do for my taste, but I figured it’s good enough for some pics.

IMG_0661.jpeg

IMG_0662.jpeg

IMG_0663.jpeg

IMG_0664.jpeg

I have a few gremlins to chase before it goes on a shakedown run. There’s a weird bind in the driveline, that’s barely noticeable, but I want that ironed out before I run it. I may get that done tonight and try it out tomorrow.

IMG_0665.jpeg

This thing has a wicked stance.

So the question on everybody’s mind is, I’m sure, how much weight did I trim off of the truck? I was hoping to have trimmed 16oz of weight off of a stock Kraton.

Remember, I’m still running stock shocks, and these are not the lightweight racing wheels and tires the truck will eventually be running. This was only phase 1. I haven’t even fired up the mill or lathe yet. This will get lighter. A lot lighter. This is why I haven’t specced out new shocks yet. I need to determine its final sprung weight first. That’ll be phase 3. Without wheels and tires, this truck weighed in at 6lb 3oz. So that’ll be a big change when I finally switch to a racing wheel and tire. I’ll tally up the total cost of the build so you will all realize just how much of an idiot I am lol.

I may video the shakedown run and share it. Even if this project turns out to be a total failure, it at least looks cool lol. ✌️

Last edited:
Hold up!!!!
I made a mistake!
Sorry folks, I’m a product of the public school system in the 80’s…
Let’s try something that works better in my head…
IMG_0668.jpeg

IMG_0667.jpeg

4977g-4231g=746g
So the truck is 746 grams lighter.
Convert that to ounces…
IMG_0670.png

That’s 26.279 ounces.
Divide that by 16 and you get…
1.64 lb.

Please correct me if I’m wrong. Sorry, it’s been a very long day, and my brain is fried.

If this is correct, I’ve blown away my goal weight by a considerable amount. This makes more sense, because when I pick up both trucks, there is a very noticeable weight difference.

Also… you’ll notice that the stock Kraton still exists. After I ordered the plethora of parts, I realized that between my spares I already had, and the new parts, I could spend +\- $100 at Jenny’s and have two trucks. So I basically built this from scratch.

I love this project what a nice looking rig with high quality parts and a wicked paint job. I’d like to build something over the winter, but the problem I have is if I built something as nice as your truck I don’t know if I can run it lol 😂 as you just said as I was typing this. Very nice though. That is some decent weight loss on the beast and I am excited to see how it drives for you once you work out the binding and get some race tire and wheels on it!

I love this project what a nice looking rig with high quality parts and a wicked paint job. I’d like to build something over the winter, but the problem I have is if I built something as nice as your truck I don’t know if I can run it lol 😂 as you just said as I was typing this. Very nice though. That is some decent weight loss on the beast and I am excited to see how it drives for you once you work out the binding and get some race tire and wheels on it!
Thanks! I am very interested to see how well it corners being so much lighter. Should be very nimble. It’s over dampened and over sprung obviously, so that should affect cornering a bit, but as soon as I get it down to its final weight, I’m going to get some nice, lightweight shocks on there that are tuned for its weight, and it should be a really nice driving truck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back