Talion Lights / Binding Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylan9888

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just tried installing Polo Creations LEDs on my Talion EXB. I hooked the 3rd channel light control wire to AUX 3 on the receiver, however I am not able to switch the lights on/off on the A/B switch on the DX-3 transmitter. At this point, the car went haywire. The steering servo took on a life of its own and every time I turn on the car it sounds like I am doing damage to the servo gears because it is randomly moving on its own in both directions to the physical end points. Additionally, there is no more throttle control at all. I've tried to rebind, recalibrate and do a factory reset on the controller with no success. Did I fry the ESC or receiver?

First.. the lights get plugged in to positive and negative.. not positive and signal...

You cannot control the lights on the 3rd channel unless you have a module to control them.. the signal wire does not work like a switch (on/off)...

You say it all goes nuts now, did you unplug the lights? Or did you just leave them plugged in?

If the lights are unplugged and it still goes nuts you fried the rx most likely..

Welcome to the forum by the way..✌️

First.. the lights get plugged in to positive and negative.. not positive and signal...

You cannot control the lights on the 3rd channel unless you have a module to control them.. the signal wire does not work like a switch (on/off)...

You say it all goes nuts now, did you unplug the lights? Or did you just leave them plugged in?

If the lights are unplugged and it still goes nuts you fried the rx most likely..

Welcome to the forum by the way..✌️
Hey thanks for the response. I do have the required control wire hooked up with no success. Since the initial setup, all lights have been disconnected and I verified the esc and steering servo are connected properly. Still the same results unfortunately.

Hey thanks for the response. I do have the required control wire hooked up with no success. Since the initial setup, all lights have been disconnected and I verified the esc and steering servo are connected properly. Still the same results unfortunately.

What is the required control wire?.. show us a picture of how you had this hooked up..

I'd suspect the rx is cooked at this point

I will post a picture of the setup when I return home. In the meantime, I attached an image of the 3-wire cable that I had running out of AUX3 of the RX. From there, I had a pair of two (2-wire) led lights cables connected. When I wired up the lights and had no success switching them on/off on the controller, I tried to adjust the third channel mode to "latched" and that is when everything went south. No luck resetting back to factory settings.

Untitled.png

I will post a picture of the setup when I return home. In the meantime, I attached an image of the 3-wire cable that I had running out of AUX3 of the RX. From there, I had a pair of two (2-wire) led lights cables connected. When I wired up the lights and had no success switching them on/off on the controller, I tried to adjust the third channel mode to "latched" and that is when everything went south. No luck resetting back to factory settings.

View attachment 177643

Ah, I see you did have a module.. interesting, with your description above I assumed you were plugging directly into the channel 3 port without a module..

Now that I see your setup, I'm leaning towards the module being wired incorrectly causing the issues you have encountered..

In retrospect, I did notice the module itself got hot to the touch almost immediately after plugging it in, regardless of whether it had lights connected to it or not. I didn't think much of it since the temps eventually stabilized at what felt like 200 degrees F. I'm completely new to this stuff, all I was worried about was ensuring everything was connected properly.

In case anybody cares, it turns out that the remote module wire supplied with the lights was faulty and shorted out the receiver. I guess I am in warranty limbo for a couple weeks.
I absolutely care, I have a kit to install soon. Thanks for the update 🍺

In case anybody cares, it turns out that the remote module wire supplied with the lights was faulty and shorted out the receiver. I guess I am in warranty limbo for a couple weeks.

That's kind of what I figured.. getting hot immediately is not a good sign.. don't beat yourself up over it as it was nothing you did..

We were all once new to the hobby wether we were introduced yesterday, or 40 yrs ago.. everyone was green once... 😉..

As with everything, knowledge comes with experience and lessons learned.. I just hope it hasn't put off on the rc hobby at all.. it's alot of fun👍

Update: The plot thickens. Bought a new receiver, same issue

Presumably you have not yet received a replacement remote module so are you saying without any light kit hooked up the car is still haywire with a new receiver?

Presumably you have not yet received a replacement remote module so are you saying without any light kit hooked up the car is still haywire with a new receiver?
So I replaced the receiver, TX batteries and remote module wire but the problem persists! Very strange

Hey all, just an update (yeah, still dealing with this electrical problem). I replaced the receiver, ESC, lipo and transmitter batteries with no luck. Still cannot bind properly. The throttle and steering take on a life of their own every time I hold bind on the receiver (flashing orange light) and put the transmitter into bind mode. Currently I only have the servo and throttle cables plugged into the receiver (no light cables or anything else is connected). I'm down to either the DX-3 transmitter or the servo, both show no obvious signs of damage and have only been used a handful of times. Will keep ya posted.

Simply unplug your servo. Almost guaranteed, it will bind.
Spektrum servos have a high rate of failure and overload the ESC/BEC voltage and will throw everything out of balance.
You can warranty the servo, but you will just get an equally suspect one.
Plenty of threads on bad servos with almost identical problems. Probably responsible for blowing out the other electronics.

Future hint, unplug everything except ESC when you have issues.
Get a cheap DS3235 (Backflip LP) or DS3225 if you have smaller tires (stock).

The servo issue certainly seems possible, especially after seeing some other threads on here. The only thing that leads me suspect that it is the transmitter is when I move around the room, the steering servo glitches out when I wave the transmitter around. When I stand still it will stay relatively motionless. Either way, I'll probably throw a better servo in regardless.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back