Talion Seeking Spektrum ESC recommendation...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLspeeddragon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Talion EXB
In search of an ESC to go with the following 1900kv Spektrum motor from JRC when it is available again.
1900kv Specs.

I plan on installing it in my Associated RC8B3.2e Buggy (1/8 scale).
Making it basher 😎
It will be using 4-6s batteries.
I am not very electronic savvy to understand which ESC is best to combo with the motor.

any recommendations are welcome.

Good day!
Through experience I can tell you not all ESCs are created the same. I just looked at the motor you intend to purchase and see that it is 4S capable, so I am assuming you are going to run the car on a 4S LiPo? Given that you just need to ensure that you use a speed control that can handle up to four cells and is compatible with a brushless system (all you need to do is research the specs of speed controls on the Web). Last, it boils down to personal preference (brand loyalty) and how much you are willing to spend...for my two cents if you are going to run a Spektrum motor you should consider a Spektrum ESC. It is not necessary but I recently ran into an issue programming a Castle ESC paired up with a Spektrum receiver (totally different issue compared to motor/ESC compatibility) but I learned that Spektrum products are propriety and don't always play well with other brands. Again, I am not saying you must buy a Spektrum ESC but it will certainly alleviate any future ass-pain you may experience, and I think Spektrum speed controls work just fine (I still have the stock ESC on my Typhon 6S), and they are programmable if you are willing to buy the programming box (recommended).

100% agree on using larger bullets

Good day!
Through experience I can tell you not all ESCs are created the same. I just looked at the motor you intend to purchase and see that it is 4S capable, so I am assuming you are going to run the car on a 4S LiPo? Given that you just need to ensure that you use a speed control that can handle up to four cells and is compatible with a brushless system (all you need to do is research the specs of speed controls on the Web). Last, it boils down to personal preference (brand loyalty) and how much you are willing to spend...for my two cents if you are going to run a Spektrum motor you should consider a Spektrum ESC. It is not necessary but I recently ran into an issue programming a Castle ESC paired up with a Spektrum receiver (totally different issue compared to motor/ESC compatibility) but I learned that Spektrum products are propriety and don't always play well with other brands. Again, I am not saying you must buy a Spektrum ESC but it will certainly alleviate any future ass-pain you may experience, and I think Spektrum speed controls work just fine (I still have the stock ESC on my Typhon 6S), and they are programmable if you are willing to buy the programming box (recommended).

100% agree on using larger bullets
That’s a 6s motor.
I just looked at Horizon and you can get a brand new 6s ESC with warranty cheaper than Jenny’s for $79.99! Those also have 4mm motor females, so it would be a plug and play. You’d need bigger bullets for the Max 6.
The main question is if this 6s system will physically fit in his RC8B? May have to get a little creative.

I was/am thinking to stick with same brand so it would be a plug/play. And yes It will fit in ite. 1/8 buggy's usually use a 42mm can 60-70 long as a normal. My HW 2250 G2 max 8 combo fits in it.

That’s a 6s motor.
I just looked at Horizon and you can get a brand new 6s ESC with warranty cheaper than Jenny’s for $79.99! Those also have 4mm motor females, so it would be a plug and play. You’d need bigger bullets for the Max 6.
The main question is if this 6s system will physically fit in his RC8B? May have to get a little creative.
The Spektrum specs on the SPMXSM1600 say its rated for 6S but Jenny's (I believe) pulls the motor out of a stock Lasernut. Looks like the same motor but it is only rated at 2-4S. @JLspeeddragon recommend that you confirm this with the folks over there. Would hate for you to purchase that motor then find out you cannot run 6S in your rig.

The Spektrum specs on the SPMXSM1600 say it’s rated for 6S but Jenny's (I believe) pulls the motor out of a stock Lasernut.
Lasernut comes with a 36mm 550 motor, doesn’t it? The motor the OP listed is a 4274. Here is the link for the motor he listed: https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/product/firma-1900kv-brushless-motor/SPMXSM1600.html
Looks like the same motor but it is only rated at 2-4S. @JLspeeddragon recommend that you confirm this with the folks over there. Would hate for you to purchase that motor then find out you cannot run 6S in your truck
If he’s buying this from Jenny’s then I’m not sure which rig this would be pulled from. But I’m pretty sure it ain’t a Lasernut.

Last edited:
The Spektrum specs on the SPMXSM1600 say its rated for 6S but Jenny's (I believe) pulls the motor out of a stock Lasernut. Looks like the same motor but it is only rated at 2-4S. @JLspeeddragon recommend that you confirm this with the folks over there. Would hate for you to purchase that motor then find out you cannot run 6S in your rig.
I saw that as well, however they are 2 different stock numbers. I have already sent JRC an email about it. When the motor is back in stock I will be sure to send another email before purchasing to confirm that it will be the correct one.
BTW, I mentioned the HW 2250 G2 combo I have, the can is a 4278. That is currently installed in my Talion rebuild. I did test fit it in the buggy just to make sure that the 1900 will also work. It's a long can but it will fit 👍

Jenny's is a great resource. I wish I had found them sooner since I was spending full retail for some time...I buy all my receivers from them although I now have a massive collection of transmitters I don't need :)

I saw that as well, however they are 2 different stock numbers. I have already sent JRC an email about it. When the motor is back in stock I will be sure to send another email before purchasing to confirm that it will be the correct one.
BTW, I mentioned the HW 2250 G2 combo I have, the can is a 4278. That is currently installed in my Talion rebuild. I did test fit it in the buggy just to make sure that the 1900 will also work. It's a long can but it will fit 👍
Groovy. I’m not familiar with the RC8B. I would jump on that sale at Horizon for the 150a ESC if it was me. New with warranty for less money than a Jenny’s take out.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/firma-150a-brushless-smart-esc-3s-6s-dual-ic5/SPMXSE1150.html

Jenny's is a great resource. I wish I had found them sooner since I was spending full retail for some time...I buy all my receivers from them although I now have a massive collection of transmitters I don't need :)
I know the feeling: Jenny's sells receivers with transmitters for less than the price of a new receiver alone. Anybody need a SLT3 transmitter without receiver? :LOL:

With a race buggy I'd be looking at a max 8g2(S) or XR8 with flexible timing and sensor setup.

An 8BL150G2/Max 8v3/Torox 185 will have no problem with that motor on 6S as a basher however.

Back