Leopard or hobby star 4082 vs 4092

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was a dumbass and used this metallic tape to fasten the wires on the Outcast to the chassis. After a 10 foot jump at the BMX track, the rig started smoking. I guess the esc shorted and the heat spread to the battery then flames. Got the video on my phone but it’s too damn painful to watch and replay. It had brand new rpm front/rear a-arms, hobbywing max-8 esc, proline Baja vw body, tekno full option front/rear shocks, 3.8 badlands, hobby star lipo plus some other gear. Kicked some dirt on it before complete meltdown, salvaged one shock, one wheel and the Leo. It was salty to write about this experience, live and learn. Gorilla tape is the only brand for me now

Leo is working well off the blx185 with an 18T pinion running the typhon.

I have a 4092 HobbyStar, 1480kv and it's an absolute beast . I have been running a 26T pinion and it still wants to do standing back flips

Reviving an old thread here, but I've been running the hobbystar 4082 1600kv motor in my Outcast recently. The motor is getting really hot. Relevant info:

Ambient temp: 73* F
Pinion: 16T
Battery: SMC 6S 4500 mah 90C
ESC: Stock
Drive line: I recently replaced all the bearings with a fast eddy kit.
Motor Temp: 180-190
ESC Temp: 120-130
Battery Temp: 100-105

I had slightly cooler temps running 4S with a 17T pinion, but motor temps were still close to 170. I'm thinking of getting a motor fan or possibly going back to the stock motor. Have any of you had heat issues with these motors?

Reviving an old thread here, but I've been running the hobbystar 4082 1600kv motor in my Outcast recently. The motor is getting really hot. Relevant info:

Ambient temp: 73* F
Pinion: 16T
Battery: SMC 6S 4500 mah 90C
ESC: Stock
Drive line: I recently replaced all the bearings with a fast eddy kit.
Motor Temp: 180-190
ESC Temp: 120-130
Battery Temp: 100-105

I had slightly cooler temps running 4S with a 17T pinion, but motor temps were still close to 170. I'm thinking of getting a motor fan or possibly going back to the stock motor. Have any of you had heat issues with these motors?

Have you already checked the motor for a bad bearing?

Have you already checked the motor for a bad bearing?

I haven’t thought of that given I bought the motor new just 3 months ago. I’ll check that out.

Also, gear mesh looks good and there doesn’t seem to be any binding in the driveline.

Just ordered the Leopard 4092 1480kv cause I got the Leopard 4274 1800kv some time back and it has been amazing. What pinion and fan are you guys running now that its summer? I have the Integy 42mm heatsink and fan on the 4274 with 16t pinion and it keeps it plenty cool but for the 4092 I was thinking of getting the Yeah Racing dual fan for the long can. Anything better out there? Thanks. Forgot to mention it will be for my Kraton.

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I just got a brand new hobbystar 4092-1480kv motor, and I need some advice on what pinion and, or, spur gear combo I can do with this motor? I also bought a hobbywing max5 ESC, but have not received it yet. Is that ESC good with this motor? I had originally bought a hobbystar 5612-580kv I believe was the motor? Can't recall, but anyway, I was told on another Arma group that, that was way overkill for my Arma Kraton. They told me the Kraton drivetrain and chassis, would not be able to handle that much power. So I ended up buying the 4092 hobbystar instead.

Is there a smaller teeth spur gear for the Arma cars that anyone makes? I found this one on Aliexpress. Has anyone bought this one before?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-8...8549-4e81-8965-e4b05ea58642&priceBeautifyAB=0

But like I asked, what size pinion and or, spur gear can I use with the 4092 motor? I'm looking for more speed.

I just got my Leopard 4092 1480kv in a few weeks ago and have been running the 16t pinion and it's a missile now. Temps have stayed low but I run the Yeah Racing dual fans. I also run trencher x's. Its run off a Max8 so I'm sure it can only be better with the 5.

Which fan would fit a 4092 motor? I've been loklook at a hobbywing heatsink and fan, but I am not sure of the diameter, if it would fit the motor?

And have you changed the spur gear to a smaller T? I found a 40T spur gear they said would fit the Arma.

I forgot to ask, how did you fit the 4092 motor on the Kraton chassis, it looks longer than the chassis?

Did you put something underneath to protexp the motor?

I have the HR motor mount and I just use the stock spur, 50t I think. Its a bit longer than the stock motor so I had to notch the side guard to clear the motor can. I used the Yeah Racing dual fan for 40MM motors. I have been thinking of putting something under the motor in the back because its longer but so far the HR motor mount is working great.

I forgot to ask, how did you fit the 4092 motor on the Kraton chassis, it looks longer than the chassis?

Did you put something underneath to protexp the motor?

I have hobbystar 4092 1730 with max 6 in my kraton. It’s the most ungodly powerful rc I’ve ever experienced hands down. I’m running a 20T pinion. It hit 66mph. It was reasonably cool like 120-160 degrees but it was stormy and 70 outside. Another time I ran it it got to 160+ pretty quick. Like in 10 min or less. I’d shoot for lower gearing for myself. That 1400kv will be a little slower. I’d guess a 18-20 tooth pinion would suit you just fine. Keep temps in check and give you decent top speed. I’m totally guessing here but maybe 50-60mph?

It’ll fit the chassis fine. I don’t think it overhangs enough to worry about something underneath. I beat mine a little bit since installing and haven’t had any problems.

I’m a huge fan of the yeah racing dual fan setup. It’s amazing. It’ll fit perfectly. Strong cooling power.

I’d see how you like stock gearing first. I mean if you really need speed grab a 23T pinion. Robinson racing 12__ will get you the pinion you need. The __ you fill in with tooth count you want. 1223 would be 23T. If you still need more speed look into a smaller spur. I don’t think you’d need to go that route unless you’re going for a top speed build. Looking to hit 80-90-100 or whatever.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I just got a brand new hobbystar 4092-1480kv motor, and I need some advice on what pinion and, or, spur gear combo I can do with this motor? I also bought a hobbywing max5 ESC, but have not received it yet. Is that ESC good with this motor? I had originally bought a hobbystar 5612-580kv I believe was the motor? Can't recall, but anyway, I was told on another Arma group that, that was way overkill for my Arma Kraton. They told me the Kraton drivetrain and chassis, would not be able to handle that much power. So I ended up buying the 4092 hobbystar instead.

Is there a smaller teeth spur gear for the Arma cars that anyone makes? I found this one on Aliexpress. Has anyone bought this one before?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-8...8549-4e81-8965-e4b05ea58642&priceBeautifyAB=0

But like I asked, what size pinion and or, spur gear can I use with the 4092 motor? I'm looking for more speed.
I just ordered the new kraton exb last week and got this hobbystar 4092 can to put In will the spektrum firma 150 amp esc be good enough or should I go with the hobby wing max 6?

I'm trying to find the right balance between power and heat for a Kraton. My stock 2050kv motor is broken so I want to replace it with either a 4082 motor at 1600Kv or a 4092 at 1730Kv. I may occasionally run 4s but primarily bought this truck to run 6s. I want something that will run cooler and somewhat faster than stock but I don't want to start breaking more drivetrain parts. I have been comparing these motors on rcjuice.com and it appears that the 4082 at 2000Kv really can't handle 6s voltage? and is why I ruled it out so far.

As best I can tell the 4082 would be ~400 watts or stronger than stock and the 4092 would be 1200 watts? Is the 4092 brutal? Anyone know if the Nero motor would be an upgrade or is that more of a lateral move?
I'm sorry for the rant but it is difficult to compare this motors. The only downside to the 4092 is a potential impact and broken mount screws due to length or breaking dog bones and etc.

I know there are threads for each motor separately but don't know how to compare the Nero, 82, and 92 motors to choose the best.

Thank you for any advice you may provide.
I used to run that exact HobbyStar motor in my first KRATON which was the V2 when it was brand new. I installed a MAX6, and I would swap at times but I ran either a 20T or 22T pinion with the stock spur gear. I ran it on 6S twice I think, the rest of the time was just 4S because it had so much power. It ran cooler that way as well. I did have the entire machine upgraded heavily so it could take it but it's a great motor

I have a 1650kv 4092 Rocket & Castle mm2 in my Talion... It’s an absolute freak. I just bought a 4282 Leopard to go in my Hobao.

I run a hobbwing Max 6, 1480kv hobbystar..20 pin 6s all the time. 3.8 trenchers.. Motor runs around 130 That's pretty much not given it a break.. ESC. About 120.

I run a hobbwing Max 6, 1480kv hobbystar..20 pin 6s all the time. 3.8 trenchers.. Motor runs around 130 That's pretty much not given it a break.. ESC. About 120.
Which motor specifically?

After switching my trenchers out for the stock tires, mine seems to be doing better. I ran it hard yesterday for 3 sets of packs with very little rest in between and no issues... well, busted a tekno shock end on the front and blew a bearing out of my center diff half way through the 3rd set... otherwise the esc was around 128F and the motor was 145F. Changing the tires dropped about 20F off both. Think I could get away with a 14T now... lol!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back