Koenigsegg having same problem.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You sure about that? I’m talking out of my ass here, but there are probably 15+ four-door family cars on the market today that can break into the 13s without a single mod.

Hell, my 2012 Lincoln MKS, which is a pig of a car, could do it in 13.9 stock according to Motor Trend.

And sports cars are faster and tougher than ever before. The block, transmission, and drivetrain in a current Mustang GT can reliably handle 700+ horsepower with no mods.

Cars are fast these days and it’s awesome.
For sure. Somebody just took a bone stock 2024 f150 5.0 on sick week and the slowest it ran was a 13.91. fastest run was a 13.61. pretty awesome what modern tech can do.

Um…. You’re off by a mere 2000hp there sir..
Lol, I haven't paid as much attention to the NHRA the last 2 or 3 years, it's been mostly rc and the no prep stuff... that's why I added the + at the end, I figured that might have been a little conservative.. seems they're figuring out how to make more power every year... it's insane that they're able to do that with a 500cid cap

This is why I've always favored drag racing over speed running.... same sought-after results, except 1 is done as fast as possible and the other, well, meh.... I know, im gonna get lit up, but that's ok, the devil is busy so advocate it is....
No lighting up, I get where you're coming from. I can see the appeal in both disciplines and you can even do both with the same car. Personally, I find the endorphin rush when my car blasts past me at 120mph+ more beguiling than anything I've experienced pulling drag hits. Don't get it twisted, drag hits are fun and I love how fast these things leave the line on foams with some good tire sauce. But from a purely visceral perspective, for me, speed running is king.

Outside of the US Formula 1 is king.

American GIF by MOODMAN
F1 just hasn't been the same since the mid 2000s. I get the whole "the sport evolves to meet the spirit of the times" thing but migrating from naturally aspirated V10s pumping out 1000bhp @19,000 rpm in a 600kg chassis to 1.6L turbo charged V6...blech. I can't stand any of the big name drivers, they're all divas some of which have, genuinely, manifested victim complexes that make them insufferable to a degree that you couldn't pay me to watch (well, you could if you really wanted to but my time ain't cheap and I still cling to a shred of dignity).

Outside of the US Formula 1 is king.

American GIF by MOODMAN
F1 just hasn't been the same since the mid 2000s. I get the whole "the sport evolves to meet the spirit of the times" thing but migrating from naturally aspirated V10s pumping out 1000bhp @19,000 rpm in a 600kg chassis to 1.6L turbo charged V6...blech. I can't stand any of the big name drivers, they're all divas some of which have, genuinely, manifested victim complexes that make them insufferable to a degree that you couldn't pay me to watch (well, you could if you really wanted to but my time ain't cheap and I still cling to a shred of dignity).
Um…. You’re off by a mere 2000hp there sir..
I think it's more like 4000hp at this point. If I'm not entirely mistaken, I think they're running in the 12k HP vicinity now.

Last edited:

I think it's more like 4000hp at this point. If I'm not entirely mistaken, I think they're running in the 12k HP vicinity now.

I agree, I lost interest too. I can appreciate the engineering. Lately I follow global time attack where they take street cars and slap insane aero on them to out perform F1 cars. Now that is cool!

I agree, I lost interest too. I can appreciate the engineering. Lately I follow global time attack where they take street cars and slap insane aero on them to out perform F1 cars. Now that is cool!

Nice! Wait...is this an IRL 1:1 Vendetta? :LOL:
1707492013664.png

Nice! Wait...is this an IRL 1:1 Vendetta? :LOL:
View attachment 347492

Yeah it does look pretty similar.
I wanted to build a car to compete, but like all other competitive motorsports certain teams have insane budgets and the average guy just cannot compete.
Plus the reality is that I cannot afford even a simple build right now. (which is why I do RC cars)

Yeah it does look pretty similar.
I wanted to build a car to compete, but like all other competitive motorsports certain teams have insane budgets and the average guy just cannot compete.
Plus the reality is that I cannot afford even a simple build right now. (which is why I do RC cars)
Yeah, competitive motorsport is a monstrous money sink. Except in Finland. Their weekend rally circuit for everyone is something special. Anyone can participate. It is a little rough and tumble as they view motorsport as a full-contact competition and the cars are all total beaters and you don't really see any cars over $1000 (I think there's a $1500 ceiling on value or thereabouts) because...there's a clause at these meets. If someone comes up to you and says he wants to buy your car, you have to sell it to him. And the most you can charge the buyer is $1500. This prevents people from going crazy modding their cars and keeps it newb/kid friendly.

1707493823567.png

1707493983548.png

Yeah, competitive motorsport is a monstrous money sink. Except in Finland. Their weekend rally circuit for everyone is something special. Anyone can participate. It is a little rough and tumble as they view motorsport as a full-contact competition and the cars are all total beaters and you don't really see any cars over $1000 (I think there's a $1500 ceiling on value or thereabouts) because...there's a clause at these meets. If someone comes up to you and says he wants to buy your car, you have to sell it to him. And the most you can charge the buyer is $1500. This prevents people from going crazy modding their cars and keeps it newb/kid friendly.

Wow that is the craziest thing I have heard of.
We have have the 24 hours of lemons. Some pretty funny cars but budgets are much higher than 1500.00 from what I can see but the rules say $500.00

"Vehicle Eligibility: Entry limited to mass-produced, four-wheeled vehicles legal for U.S. highway use at the time of their manufacture. Vehicles must be acquired and prepared for a maximum of $500 (exclusive of safety gear) as described in Section 4 and must meet all safety standards laid out in Section 3. The vehicle’s original, manufacturer-stated curb weight may not exceed 4200 pounds. Individual vehicle waivers may be granted; just don’t ask about Peterbilts, Zambonis, sidecars, or golf carts again. We already said no."

1707495473410.png

1707495519671.png

1707495553691.png

Wow that is the craziest thing I have heard of.
We have have the 24 hours of lemons. Some pretty funny cars but budgets are much higher than 1500.00 from what I can see but the rules say $500.00

"Vehicle Eligibility: Entry limited to mass-produced, four-wheeled vehicles legal for U.S. highway use at the time of their manufacture. Vehicles must be acquired and prepared for a maximum of $500 (exclusive of safety gear) as described in Section 4 and must meet all safety standards laid out in Section 3. The vehicle’s original, manufacturer-stated curb weight may not exceed 4200 pounds. Individual vehicle waivers may be granted; just don’t ask about Peterbilts, Zambonis, sidecars, or golf carts again. We already said no."

View attachment 347501
View attachment 347502
View attachment 347503
It's been a long time since I heard anyone talk about The 24 hours of Lemons.

Times and prices have changed. I don't think $500 cars that run exist anymore....
I'm sure you can find a used Infraction for around that price...might even include a pair of lipos.

I'm sure you can find a used Infraction for around that price...might even include a pair of lipos.
My wife wants a golf cart to drive around the neighborhood in. (basically for no reason at all)
I took a look online and they are over $10,000

The other one that makes no sense to me is side by side ATVs. The cost about $20k

I could just buy a used SUV for $8k and remove the doors and have heated seats, AC, radio etc....

My wife wants a golf cart to drive around the neighborhood in. (basically for no reason at all)

The other one that makes no sense to me is side by side ATVs. The cost about $20k

I could just buy a used SUV for $8k and remove the doors and have heated seats, AC, radio etc....

Nothing wrong with a used 10-speed bike for neighborhood sight seeing...

For that kinda money you could hire someone to push her around on a BigWheel® for a few months (do they even make BigWheels® anymore? If not, those might be just as expensive as that golf cart cuz millennials living in a permanent state of arrested development have long since cornered the market). Spontaneity would be the primary characteristic you'd be looking for on the candidate's CV.

As a second option, build her one of these. It would be way cheaper, it would make use of your extensive RC experience and who knows, might even break a bone or two. :LOL:

For that kinda money you could hire someone to push her around on a BigWheel® for a few months (do they even make BigWheels® anymore? If not, those might be just as expensive as that golf cart cuz millennials living in a permanent state of arrested development have long since cornered the market). Spontaneity would be the primary characteristic you'd be looking for on the candidate's CV.

As a second option, build her one of these. It would be way cheaper, it would make use of your extensive RC experience and who knows, might even break a bone or two. :LOL:
That does look fun and agree I'd probably hurt myself on one of those LOL

Next on my list is a small dirt bike for the kids. Great way to get out and get some fresh air.

The Yamaha TT-R110E is priced pretty reasonably and not crazy fast.

1707511916280.png

Or just build a top fuel dragster and go 320mph in 1000ft... gotta be way easier to find the room for a 1000ft stretch vs whatever those guys need to run.... probably cheaper to build too lol
You guys crack me up, all I was trying to say is that Koenigsegg was looking for a good road to do a speed run like most of us. Hey I live 20 minutes from NYC and there nothing but traffic potholes and curbs.

While that is true, there's just certain things you can't do with anything but a sxs... for instance, the Hatfield McCoy and adjoining trail systems in West Virginia are something you have to experience in person, it's literally 1000s of miles of any type of terrain you can dream up, and it's only open and accessible to atv/utvs. I do agree however, that the price of a new sxs is absolutely absurd, and if you're not actually going to use it for its intended purposes, an older JK or CJ can be had for a 1/3 the price and be just as much fun.

Back