Is this failure common?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blucross

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
Hey all, great community, glad to have found it. I've been in RC a long time, but this is my first time at it with cars. I started my foray into surface vehicles with a Outcast and a Typhon, I fell in love instantly with the brand.

Today I was running the Typhon and smacked the rear right wheel flat against a curb at around 35pmh. The attached picture shows the screw pulling out of the rear diff housing as the aluminum bracket was bent and took it with it. The threading stripped out completely.

I'm just wondering if I should prepare to do this often, or if I am better off plunking down the money for a HR gearbox case and being done with it. I have been loving these vehicles otherwise, and I am enjoying wrenching on them as well!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20170920_001923.jpg
    20170920_001923.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 97
I just did something similar to my kraton just yesterday lol. But I snapped that metal thing and the diff housing lol. The back wheel was just hanging there lol. Good times drifting around after a rain storm.

I just did something similar to my kraton just yesterday lol. But I snapped that metal thing and the diff housing lol. The back wheel was just hanging there lol. Good times drifting around after a rain storm.

Ok, good to know that these parts are a weak point and that I am not alone. I'm concerned that it might happen frequently, enough to warrant the HR gearbox case anyway.

I can agree, regardless of the downtime, they are good times!

I'm not 100% sure about it being a weak point cuz I've jumped and tumbled it good and only have bent a shock shaft. But slamming into a curb at 30+ something is bound to break lol. You could be right as I only own one Arrma 1/8 scale rc.

Fair point, at speed, hitting a concrete immovable object, everything is a weak point! Well put.

I was probably drifting at 20 to 25mph when I hit the curb so I can understand why it broke lol. These rcs love get going but are much too light to make a quick stop from high speed.

The stock gearboxes are pretty solid though they have been known to break. But as was said earlier, the way we treat these things something is going to break. I have done 40 yard cartwheels that landed on the wheels and took off with no issues. I've jumped it higher than you would think possible and nothing broke. Then smacked a curb, like you, and it cost me $100. I am still on the fence about the HR gearboxes. By making everything aluminum, we are just moving the weak spot further down the line. And once the thing is 100% aluminum and all tightened up, nothing with break, it'll just bend, and make finding the problem that much harder. I just don't know whether I want them or not. Same with the HR front knuckles.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back