I need some more brains on this one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slick2500

Anything will break if you drive it wrong enough.
Community Leader
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 3s
So short story long my y harness got caught up in my spur and a chunk of something is stuck on the spur gear I thought it was just solder but after a couple of minutes under the torche with a few strands of the wire glowing red this glob of stuff still didn't want to come off. Any thoughts or just time for a new spur?

20220826_231028.jpg

So short story long my y harness got caught up in my spur and a chunk of something is stuck on the spur gear I thought it was just solder but after a couple of minutes under the torche with a few strands of the wire glowing red this glob of stuff still didn't want to come off. Any thoughts or just time for a new spur?

View attachment 239264

What is that!?

Difficult to tell.. melted nylon with wires mixed in?
And, did you break off a tooth off that spur?? Looks like something is missing at that area..

View attachment 239264
What is that!?

And, did you break off a tooth off that spur?? Looks like something is missing at that area..
Agreed, need to take a wire brush or something to it to get the mechanical growth off to see what we're working with

What is that!?

It looks like solder and wire melted together. I think the current caused the wire to weld itself to the spur.......... All the teeth are there.
If thats a 50t i have one from my typhon ill mail it no cost when i find it
Yes it is. And dude that is awesome thanks.

20220826_233828.jpg

It looks like solder and wire melted together. I think the current caused the wire to weld itself to the spur.......... All the teeth are there.

Yes it is. And dude that is awesome thanks.

View attachment 239266
Probably when you tore the wire open it shorted out, pulled a tons of amps and yep basically soldered/welded. That metal spur basically looks like you took a torch to it.

Kind of cool if you think about it. But sucks for you.

Grab a small flat head and a hammer and pop it it off.. any residual can be cleaned up with a triangle file.. easy peasy..👍

Hopefully the Bec didn't take a hit from the short..

I’d buy a new spur gear, but still try to save the current one as the other teeth like pretty good. You said the torch didn’t work, but does it as hot as your soldering iron? Maybe with a file/dremel you can grind that blob off.
Or mash on the throttle, works for me nearly half the time

I’d buy a new spur gear, but still try to save the current one as the other teeth like pretty good. You said the torch didn’t work, but does it as hot as your soldering iron? Maybe with a file/dremel you can grind that blob off.
There are strands of wire sticking out of the glob they got red hot, my soldering iron can't get wire red hot.
Grab a small flat head and a hammer and pop it it off.. any residual can be cleaned up with a triangle file.. easy peasy..👍

Hopefully the Bec didn't take a hit from the short..
I might have to try that and get a triangle file.

Oh gosh I never even thought about that.
Is your battery OK? Sucker shorted out and started arc welding the spur gear.
It looks okay. I haven't checked the ir yet though.

Just my opinion but I doubt it can be salvaged.. enough heat/energy was generated to fuse the copper to the steel!! Hope u can though!! 😡
No the teeth are chipped under the glob of crap. At least they looked chipped.
20220827_171936.jpg
20220827_171927.jpg

Last edited:
No the teeth are chipped under the glob of crap. At least they looked chipped.
View attachment 239459View attachment 239460

Yeah.. definitely a dead short arc weld.. like dropping a wrench across a car battery.. yikes!..

It can be cleaned up with a file for sure.. but man, it might not be worth it, time over cost type deal...🤔

But if you do clean it up, definitely make sure to very carefully inspect those couple teeth as they mesh with the pinion..

An arc weld like that can do several things.. one of them pooling the steel for a brief second leaving the area bulbous..

So don't be to surprised if you find some high spots in the steel itself near, or at that arc site.. of course you will need a little extra elbow grease to true that steel up if that is the case..👍

Were you able to get power back to that esc yet? Very curious if it still functions.. I hope it does man .🙏

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back