Kraton I Just Discovered How Terrible The Spektrum STX2 Is

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had several glitches with everyone of them radios, got to the point where I had to shelf all rigs. Will never again give Horizon my money with that POS!
You don't own an aftermarket radio with the amount of trucks you own?

You don't own an aftermarket radio with the amount of trucks you own?
Have a couple on the Tactic and rest on older Spektrum but want to put everything on one good radio. Go back and forth what to buy, but probably try the Noble.

One thing everyone has to take into consideration is that it is an RTR and a cheap one at that. If you think $600 is expensive for a 1/8 6s rig you are in the wrong hobbies. I completely understand why they put such a crap radio in there. Since I can remember. If you bought an RTR first thing you did was buy a radio and servo.
Even for a first timer. I'm sure horizon was aware people would do their homework and see it wasn't a great radio. They could have put a better radio in them and charged $100 more.... which we all would have changed the radio on anyway lol.... yeah the stx2 is crap but it does its purpose. Keeps price down and allows us to drop a reciver in for the radio we already own.
When I buy a car and they inckude a radio with it, I expect it to at least work. When they expect People to swap the radio straight out of the box, why include one that can only throw People off an make them buy another brand. Swapping for an better radio should really be an option in my opinion.
You also said that it does it's purpose. Well, I don't think it's ment to do this:
This is an stx3. My STX2 did the same, even without another radio in range. Throttle response was equally glitchy. Don't think any radio, no matter how cheap, is ment to do that.

When I buy a car and they inckude a radio with it, I expect it to at least work. When they expect People to swap the radio straight out of the box, why include one that can only throw People off an make them buy another brand. Swapping for an better radio should really be an option in my opinion.
You also said that it does it's purpose. Well, I don't think it's ment to do this:
This is an stx3. My STX2 did the same, even without another radio in range. Throttle response was equally glitchy. Don't think any radio, no matter how cheap, is ment to do that.
Lol reminds me of the standard am radio that they all used to come with. If someone even turned a microwave on it would mess it up.
Yeah I never said they worked great. I said well. For someone just getting say their first car they would never even know the difference. You and I who are die hards obviously need and know it can be better. Same goes for the servos in all arrma rigs. Yeah they work and people say they are fine. But put a better one in and tell me if you would ever go back. In my 20 years of rc I literally just bought my first rtr that I didn't have to change any of the electronics. Believe it or not it was a redcat flysky gt5 radio, hobbywing sensored combo and a 400oz servo. Maybe they will set a new bar and others will follow suit. It is actually a ready to run.

Okay, I’m very new at this RC truck hobby. I had to replace my ESC in my Granite 3S right away (Arrma customer support was exceptional), set it up and the new one works good with one exception which I’m not sure if it’s not the xmtr. Braking is good but reverse is sketchy, works after a few second if at all. Is that more an issue with the STX2 controller? I see how cheap it is and understand that the cost of the truck would have been appreciably more with a better one which is okay. That being said, Im looking for recommendations for a better xmtr. I have a Spektrum DMX8 for the airplane and it’s fit form, function and quality seem exceptional. Should I stick with the Spektrum? Or?

I would highly recommend changing it. There are a few cheap brands out there that work well. Radiolink,flysky gt5 or the noble are some great contenders. Just an fyi those esc are too small for that rig. You can find better ones from kit breakers for cheap?

It needs an exorcism!

I'm ready to buy the pro xmitter! Did you get the "included" SR2100 Receiver or go for SR6000T for more telemetry?

I did the SR6000t but I haven't had time to mess with the telemetry yet.
What reciever did you get that was compatible with the DX5C and Arrma? I recently tried to use a SC315 in my Arrmas after binding to the DX5C and it didn't seem compatible. I successfully bound the reciever and radio but then neither calibration protocols worked. I tried using the Spektrum and the Arrma ESC protocol but neither worked to calibrate the reciever with the radio. I tried with the 2 recievrs i had with same result. So i returned both. Now wondering did i get 2 bad recievers or was i doing something wrong??

I used the same as you in my Kraton. SR315. No issues.

Last edited:
Its funny how different the V3 Tactic system and the V4 Spektrum are.. When I got my Arrma V4 models I had a ebay $27 Tactic system ready to drop in. Always the first thing to do with the V4 models. For my speedrun cars I'll use my Futaba 4pv but to bash around with the Typhon or Notorious the Tactic works great.. Plus I don't mind getting it dirty, not something I want to do with the futaba

I think it was more like this...

“We made 100k of these STX2 radios and they are complete junk. Nobody is ever going to buy these POS. What are we going todo with them?”

“Make the Arrma guys included them with their RTRs”
Or it was more like.... "the profit margin we earn on each truck is minimal, but the % margin on radios & accessories is much better (lower cost items generally do have stronger margins).... let's sell a crap RX/TX that costs us next to nothing, and then we can earn good margins on all the DX5's etc that we sell" .... winning.

If Horizon owned Futaba/Sanwa etc, then it would be even sweeter for them!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back