Outcast Hot racing diff yolk too big?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitch

Reaction score
Hi folks, I’m back again trying to set my diff mesh.
I’ve got the rear diff all set installed in the car, but I can’t figure out how to get this front diff to stop binding when I put it in the car. The mesh is perfect in the yolk, but I kind of have to “squeeze” it into the upper bulkhead and it starts binding like crazy. This can be simulated outside of the car by pinching on the end of the yolk that goes around the driveshaft/output. I am aware that in the video, I haven’t tightened the yolk but it binds regardless. I suspect the yolk might be a little big and getting deformed when I put it in the car? TIA

Improves when using no shims, but feels like it honestly might be a little tight even with no shimming?!

Okay. So basically, it’s working with no shims BUT there is a point in every cycle where it becomes hard to turn and the mesh between the two gears is completely tight, no movement between them at all. How can I fix this? File down the plastic on the big gear side?’

Last edited:
Are you using any input gear shims? Or just the spur gear shims?

I've always been told that a small amount of binding will "self-clearance", but I don't know if that is entirely true.

Is this your first yoke from them? it's possible the tolerances were sligthly off when making this specific part and that you just need a replacement.

Never had a problem with the HR yokes. I have 4, all excellent fit. There’s always a chance you got a bad one. A tried GPM once, it didn’t fit the chassis at all.

But diffs sticking can have multiple reasons. Bearings not fully seated, pins not fully seated. Even a grain of sand/dirt/debris can cause noticeable resistance.

Try switching the yoke. Check other possibilities. For example, does the other diff also bind if you put it in the front shock tower? If so, it’s the front shock tower that’s the problem. I find it can be a process of elimination.

Last edited:
Check the bearings,are they evenly seated in the yoke. And what GRC said,try the other yoke and diff from the rear into the front. That should tell you alot.

Back