HELP!! Stripped screw head

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRG4ARRMA

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
So I’m checking the center diff fluid before running my new rig and I stripped a screw head trying several methods to remove it. I think it’s probably got too much loctite from the factory. Any suggestions for removing it? The other three are loose and I had no trouble with the rear diff.

IMG_0436.jpeg

IMG_0435.jpeg

1) Choose a QUALITY hex driver that will fit snug in the screw head.
2) Apply direct heat to the body
3) Slowly loose the screw.

Yes. Just throw it in the trash then go spend 650 bucks on a new car for a 30 dollar part. Good information.
Try grinding a slot in the screw so you can get a screwdriver on it. Also try tapping on your driver or screwdriver while turning sometimes the impact will break it loose. I had the same issue the first time I broke my gorgon diff open.

Yes. Just throw it in the trash then go spend 650 bucks on a new car for a 30 dollar part. Good information.
Try grinding a slot in the screw so you can get a screwdriver on it. Also try tapping on your driver or screwdriver while turning sometimes the impact will break it loose. I had the same issue the first time I broke my gorgon diff open.

$$$Spend your way out of a stuck screw issue... 🤔

Try these I bought these screw extraction pliers for 18 bucks I think and I got the wera screw drivers in 2mm 2.5mm and 3mm screw drivers are a expendable item and should be replaced with signs of wear the weras are about 8 bucks a piece and can be replaced as needed but they are high quality and do have enough area to doctor up the tips once or twice if need be

Screenshot_20240419_202248_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20240419_202317_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Better pic of the wera driver

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240419_202717_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240419_202717_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 9
Thanks to all who made constructive comments. Since I’m very limited in funds and tools, I’m going to dremel a slot and apply some heat. I’ll use a slotted screwdriver and tap on it too.

So I’m checking the center diff fluid before running my new rig and I stripped a screw head trying several methods to remove it. I think it’s probably got too much loctite from the factory. Any suggestions for removing it? The other three are loose and I had no trouble with the rear diff.

View attachment 361951

View attachment 361952
Assuming you don’t have an easy out set. You can drill it out fairly easily. You can also cut the head off the screw via cutting wheel/angle grinder. I’d start with the drill tho

If it’s rounded bad(6S OEM motor mount screws), I’ll tap-pound in the next size standard hex with some heat and pressure(vice). Quality hex drivers are critical with alloy and thread lock. 👍🏼

Those that wrench actual 1 scales have all been there a time or 10, well before YouTube and forums bailed us out…

3 minute jobs turn into 3 hours and cursing, enjoy this hobby stuff it’s supposed to be all rainbows and unicorns 😊

welding nuts on the top of the screw head or broken recessed stud to turn out corroded bolts with beeswax in exhaust manifolds, good talk

Last edited:
1) Choose a QUALITY hex driver that will fit snug in the screw head.
2) Apply direct heat to the body
3) Slowly loose the screw.
Get a quality bit, wet the bit and roll it lightly in some Ajax or comet cleanser. Then insert it and tap it in. Lightly. The cleanser fills voids and adds grip. If that fails get out the Dremel out and slot the head. If the slot doesn’t work put the diff in a vise, and use a sharp chisel on the edge of the slot and tap the chisel with a hammer. Not too lightly. Once it breaks torque or locktite grip you can use your fingertip.

If it’s rounded bad(6S OEM motor mount screws), I’ll tap in the next size standard hex with some heat and pressure(vice). Quality hex drivers are critical with alloy and thread lock. 👍🏼

Those that wrench actual 1 scales have all been there a time or 10, well before YouTube and forums bailed us out…

3 minute jobs turn into 3 hours and cursing, enjoy this hobby stuff it’s supposed to be all rainbows and unicorns 😊

welding nuts on the top of the screw head or broken recessed stud to turn out corroded bolts with beeswax in exhaust manifolds, good talk
Can't be tight if it's liquid

Thanks to all who made constructive comments. Since I’m very limited in funds and tools, I’m going to dremel a slot and apply some heat. I’ll use a slotted screwdriver and tap on it too.
Heat first, even a heat gun or hair dryer will help break the loctite before you dremel it

All excellent advice. Important to keep calm and do not lose your temper. Cursing is encouraged. We have all been there, feels like a waste of time but the feeling of euphoria when the screw comes off cannot be described even if you destroy the entire diff in the process.

Back