Drone FPV guys school me on how this works

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyMKiii

Aerodynamics speed junkie
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Mojave
  3. Typhon 6s
Hi Drone FPV guys.

Could you enlighten me on what a simple low cost setup might be that can handle ground 2000 ft range for FPV. It appears you have the TX and RX for the car and then also need a camera which has a trasmitter on it and the radio/screen has an RX to recieve that signal from the camera? Is that how it works?

The new RadioLink RC8x has the option to run the Crossfire long-range module which I would like to run, but also they also show a module plugged in instead to the same port that is for FPV use and the screen of the radio can show the FPV. Is it safe to assume I could not run both?

1665608342786.png

The radio can be paired paried with several RX units but the best one seems to be the R8F 2-way

1665608576844.png

Looks like this could get expensive!
$300 radio
$200 TBS Crossfire
$ ? - Camera
$ ? - FPV RX module

Looks like radiolink have made some serious progress

TBS crossfire works on 800Mhz vs 2.4Ghz for usual RC (and wifi) bandwith It would replace the Rx of radiolink and plugged in a 3.5 jackplug (not the usb-c). Most Rx are tiny pcb's and will need a pwm adaptor as wel, unless you get this Rx: https://www.team-blacksheep.com/products/prod:crossfire_8chrx
I am not convinced it will have more range than a boosted nb4.

Video (vtx) on 5.8ghz and would require a seperate system (analog is rather cheap, digital is still expensive). The radio has a usb-c video in, so you would need a camera and both a VTx as an VRx (which mostly are integrated in glasses)
analog cam + analog vtx (example)
VTx + cam (DJI)

VRx analog (example)
VRx digital (DJI)

HDzero and fatshark also have new digital options, but i haven't looked into them much (as i have dji myself)

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, but is S.BUS = S.BUS? What I mean by that is, is S.BUS an agreed upon standard so that Futaba S.BUS components would be compatible with Radiolink gear?

TBS crossfire works on 800Mhz vs 2.4Ghz for usual RC (and wifi) bandwith It would replace the Rx of radiolink and plugged in a 3.5 jackplug (not the usb-c). Most Rx are tiny pcb's and will need a pwm adaptor as wel, unless you get this Rx: https://www.team-blacksheep.com/products/prod:crossfire_8chrx

Video (vtx) on 5.8ghz and would require a seperate system (analog is rather cheap, digital is still expensive). The radio has a usb-c video in, so you would need a camera and both a VTx as an VRx (which mostly are integrated in glasses)
VTx + cam (DJI)

VRx analog (example)
VRx digital (DJI)

HDzero and fatshark also have new digital options, but i haven't looked into them much (as i have dji myself)
I was thinking maybe all I need is a standalone monitor and camera. I would only look at it when turning the car around at the beginning and end of a run.

I am content with my NB4 honestly but the on screen FPV looked pretty cool on this RadioLink RC8x.

https://speedyfpv.com/products/5-8g...6&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign
Any issues you see with a lit like this?

Screenshot_20221012-181128_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I was thinking maybe all I need is a standalone monitor and camera. I would only look at it when turning the car around at the beginning and end of a run.

I am content with my NB4 honestly but the on screen FPV looked pretty cool on this RadioLink RC8x.

https://speedyfpv.com/products/5-8g...6&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign
Any issues you see with a lit like this?

View attachment 249714
This should be ok for starts. 600mW should be just about capable of the range. My only doubt would be this no brand camera. Analog is not great, but a better quality camera makes a world of difference.

ps.

On my dirt speedrunner project i have a front facing camera (on ninjaFlex mount to counter vibrations). It has FPV potential, but realisticly FPV driving isn't really safe. Recording can be cool though.
1665660385546.png

For your usecase it might be a good idea to have it face the rearwards (less aero troubles).

ps.

On my dirt speedrunner project i have a front facing camera (on ninjaFlex mount to counter vibrations). It has FPV potential, but realisticly FPV driving isn't really safe. Recording can be cool though.

For your usecase it might be a good idea to have it face the rearwards (less aero troubles).

That is a good point.
Agreed I would only use it to turn the car around and could do that effectively with rear facing also.

Wouldn't lights front/rear be a far cheaper and easier way of navigating, turning your car around at distance? To say nothing of possible damages in the case of a blow over. Just a thought.

Wouldn't lights front/rear be a far cheaper and easier way of navigating, turning your car around at distance? To say nothing of possible damages in the case of a blow over. Just a thought.

I thought about this also. I did buy those high-power LED front lights you had recommended, but have yet to install them on my cars.
So far I have not had the road long enough and speeds high enough to need them yet. Saturday morning I am taking a long 1+ hr drive up into Oklahoma scouting for roads because I am addicted to this blasted hobby!

I thought about this also. I did buy those high-power LED front lights you had recommended, but have yet to install them on my cars.
So far I have not had the road long enough and speeds high enough to need them yet. Saturday morning I am taking a long 1+ hr drive up into Oklahoma scouting for roads because I am addicted to this blasted hobby!
Are you pre-scouting on G-maps? That's what I like to do. I mean, I understand that roads often look very different from ground level than they do from a satellite, but you could at least narrow your search down a bit that way.

Are you pre-scouting on G-maps? That's what I like to do. I mean, I understand that roads often look very different from ground level than they do from a satellite, but you could at least narrow your search down a bit that way.
Oh ya and google earth too just to get a different perspective on elevation changes etc

After hours searching on gmaps, my list of to scout locations is getting pretty long too. And distances to drive increase as well.

I did confirm a very nice location yesterday near my work HQ. On gmaps it looked very narrow but in real life it was actually really wide. Just too bad it's basically a 1.5h drive from home.

Also found an old airforce runway which is open for rental (outside bird-breeding season). Might be an option to do an EU event there.
(225km drive for you Diem)

VTx + cam (DJI)

VRx analog (example)
VRx digital (DJI)

My FPV Race drone builder/flyer friend swears by Digital FPV ONLY. Night and day difference from analog.
He feels for ground RC applications Digital is a must. Yes it gets expensive.
We talk about this. I have considered FPV for one of my surface RC Builds.

My FPV Race drone builder/flyer friend swears by Digital FPV ONLY. Night and day difference from analog.
He feels for ground RC applications Digital is a must. Yes it gets expensive.
We talk about this. I have considered FPV for one of my surface RC Builds.
Once you go digital, you never look back at analog. Same here. But for Liberty's usecase of only resetting the car to the right direction. Cheap analog would suffice.

Real surface FPV and doing cool stuff (high power/speed, rough terrain & jumps) don't go well together. Even with active camera stabilization it's not a great experience. Definately if you are used to smooth FPV flying...

^^^ My Drone friend explains it the exact same way.:giggle:

Custom drone building is way more technical than Surface RC is.
I am far from that level of understanding. But I always pick his brain. :giggle:
Your friend drones on and on and on.... :p

Jeremy Clarkson Shut Up GIF by DriveTribe
He certainly does. :giggle:
When we talk about his drones and my RC rigs, as he never had a surface rig before, he asks me much about mine.
I see that Surface RC's actually cost more $$ on average.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back