Did someone say nitro?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just recently took the 25 yr old KYOSHO MP-6 off the dusty shelf, all beaten & battered with ZERO parts to support it any longer it was finally put to rest !!
Gutted what was worth saving and tossed it all into the trash bin.

Nitro buggies we're / are IMO a MAJOR PITA !!!!!! Expensive fuel, Glow plugs, temperamental and fussy. Electronic start boxs, glow drivers etc etc .... Can't say i miss it.

Last edited:
Just recently took the 25 yr old KYOSHO MP-6 off the dusty shelf, all beaten & battered with ZERO parts to support it any longer it was finally put to rest !!

Nitro buggies we're / are at MAJOR PITA !!!!!! Expensive fuel, Glow plugs, temperamental and fussy. Electronic start boxs, glow drivers etc etc .... Can't say i miss it.

They’re not for everyone, lol..

Nitro buggies we're / are at MAJOR PITA !!!!!! Expensive fuel, Glow plugs, temperamental and fussy. Electronic start boxs, glow drivers etc etc .... Can't say i miss it.
agreed never got mine running right total nightmare

They’re not for everyone, lol..
They were fine in the years running it, as i was neck deep in R/C race boats ... so, all the logistics were well covered.
As Electronics evolved & battery tech took off .... a modern Electric 1/8 buggy is so much easier to use, longer run times and when upside down does not flame out ... Lol
Now as paper weights ... a couple vintage Nova/Rossi .21's

Last edited:
They were fine in the years running it, as i was neck deep in R/C race boats ... so, all the logistics were well covered.
As Electronics evolved & battery tech took off .... a modern Electric 1/8 buggy is so much easier to use, longer run times and when upside down does not flame out ... Lol

They both have their caveats, but I don’t dislike either.. When I’ve not been low on fuel, I haven’t had a flameout in years due to “being upside down”.. If your tune is on, and your clunker is working properly, a nitro engine has no idea if the rubber is on the dirt.

I’m a longtime nitro guy as well, but I don’t have anything against electrics, as I run them too. They absolutely stay cleaner as compared to electrics, but I maintain, and take care of them the same as my nitro stuff. Hell-if anything, it takes more effort to avoid tearing up the ESC, and motor when doing post run cleaning/maintenance imo..

I got into the hobby as I enjoy working on stuff, maintaining it, and making it perform at its peak potential, just like my full scale hotrods, and racecars. On that note, while I completely appreciate the efficiency, and ridiculous performance of an AC induction motor; a Tesla will NEVER quench my hotrod thirst. The internal combustion engine performance, maintenance required, and literally everything else about it holds a special place in my heart to say the very least. My nitro RC’s quench that thirst as well.

As far as runtime goes, I get right at 20min out of my Tekin LiHv packs, and close to 12min out of a tank if I’m driving with some skill.. BUT-I can pull back in, and refuel tank, after tank until I’m flat out tired of holding the radio.. You could not pay me to straight up ABUSE my high dollar, “evolved” electronics like that..😅

Yes; fuel costs money. Turbo plugs cost money.. but batteries are not exactly cheap for a good pack either, and this has clearly never been a hobby synonymous with miserly… Like I said; they both have their caveats; but I can’t ever see myself having one, over the other. 🤙🍺😎

They both have their caveats, but I don’t dislike either.. When I’ve not been low on fuel, I haven’t had a flameout in years due to “being upside down”.. If your tune is on, and your clunker is working properly, a nitro engine has no idea if the rubber is on the dirt.

I’m a longtime nitro guy as well, but I don’t have anything against electrics, as I run them too. They absolutely stay cleaner as compared to electrics, but I maintain, and take care of them the same as my nitro stuff. Hell-if anything, it takes more effort to avoid tearing up the ESC, and motor when doing post run cleaning/maintenance imo..

I got into the hobby as I enjoy working on stuff, maintaining it, and making it perform at its peak potential, just like my full scale hotrods, and racecars. On that note, while I completely appreciate the efficiency, and ridiculous performance of an AC induction motor; a Tesla will NEVER quench my hotrod thirst. The internal combustion engine performance, maintenance required, and literally everything else about it holds a special place in my heart to say the very least. My nitro RC’s quench that thirst as well.

As far as runtime goes, I get right at 20min out of my Tekin LiHv packs, and close to 12min out of a tank if I’m driving with some skill.. BUT-I can pull back in, and refuel tank, after tank until I’m flat out tired of holding the radio.. You could not pay me to straight up ABUSE my high dollar, “evolved” electronics like that..😅

Yes; fuel costs money. Turbo plugs cost money.. but batteries are not exactly cheap for a good pack either, and this has clearly never been a hobby synonymous with miserly… Like I said; they both have their caveats; but I can’t ever see myself having one, over the other. 🤙🍺😎

Yeah an electric car can never replace the sound and feel of a V8.

1000048369.jpg

Nitro buggies we're / are IMO a MAJOR PITA !!!!!! Expensive fuel, Glow plugs, temperamental and fussy. Electronic start boxs, glow drivers etc etc .... Can't say i miss it.

That's what made it an aggressively competitive hobby/sport for me. It was my life for too many years. However, If I built you a MUGEN with a Speed or a Ninja, you wouldn't pick up another electric. ;)

Run times while using it how it should be used on a track, everyone had about the same, that's what makes racing and pitting fun. As far as flame outs, never happened to me from being on the lid. The weighted tank clunk moves and if installed properly it's always in fuel. The only time I've ever flamed out was my fault. Too much blipping while my pit guy snapped the tank lid, that rat bastid.

That's what made it an aggressively competitive hobby/sport for me. It was my life for too many years. However, If I built you a MUGEN with a Speed or a Ninja, you wouldn't pick up another electric. ;)

Run times while using it how it should be used on a track, everyone had about the same, that's what makes racing and pitting fun. As far as flame outs, never happened to me from being on the lid. The weighted tank clunk moves and if installed properly it's always in fuel. The only time I've ever flamed out was my fault. Too much blipping while my pit guy snapped the tank lid, that rat bastid.
Seems like a lifetime ago honestly running nitro buggy .... as I recall the MP-6 in vintage @ 1998/99 being some 25 years ago.
Not raced my R/C boats either in @ 12 years now.

Arrma needs to make a nitro typhon.
As much as I would love to agree, IF they did that and used mass produced, unmatched and properly balanced innards which have a price, it would only put more bad tastes in the mouths of todays “I need it now” society. No patients and no desire to concur the NITRO tune coupled with leaky mass produced trash = no sales.

I’d buy one, chuck the mill and the servos out the window before I got home and slap an OS In it. 😉

Back