I decided to get an old nitro car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester194

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion EXB
  2. Typhon 6s
I got this old hyper 8 off eBay and just finished completing it..
17137598908182640088408324587608.jpg
17137598908182640088408324587608.jpg
IMG_20240422_002026231.jpg

I did the same with my hyper 7 lol last year lol.. it sat in my parents attic for 20 years and I got it going again...

IMG_20231115_185403256_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231115_185414290_HDR.jpg

When I was young all I wanted was a nitro car cause they were so much faster then electric. Fast forward 20 years and now I all actually use is electric cause they are so much faster 😂

I got this old hyper 8 off eBay and just finished completing it.. View attachment 362498View attachment 362498View attachment 362496
One of my hands down favorites of all time!!!! Super jealous man!!! I wanna see the wheels! Did it happen to come with the old 5-hole swirlies? That’s the vehicle that got me out of bashing my MT, and into nitro 1/8 buggies and truggies!! To this day, of everything I’ve owned in the last 35yrs-that was the best driving 1/8 buggy PERIOD. You’re gonna love it bro! 🤩🤤😍

These wheels:

IMG_9798.jpeg

One of my hands down favorites of all time!!!! Super jealous man!!! I wanna see the wheels! Did it happen to come with the old 5-hole swirlies? That’s the vehicle that got me out of bashing my MT, and into nitro 1/8 buggies and truggies!! 🤩🤤😍

These wheels:

View attachment 362503
No mine came with the old 5 spoke wheels, there are in a box somewhere lol

No mine came with the old 5 spoke wheels, there are in a box somewhere lol
That hyper 7 pro was the sh&t when I was growing up. The only thing comparable was the inferno but I couldn't afford one at the time ..

I had a few nitros years ago and it was a nightmare just couldn't keep them running you have to tune them every time you go out with them there noisey and nitro is expensive. saying all that I never had a good engine they were all rtr engines. think my savage ss 4.6 engine was the best

@hobo some engines never held a tune. Had to constantly adjust with a flathead screwdriver.

Spent more time tuning the carb then actually running it. Had a reference sheet to adjust lean/rich depending on the ambient temperature. Great fun but cannot come close to the performance of lipo rc's of today.

Needed charged igniter, glow plug, servo battery, starter battery and transmitter battery (8xAA) for my Futaba. Receiver failsafe that prevented the rc from going WOT into a wall when servo battery was low. Binding TX/RX done with AM or FM crystals of the same frequency. After run oil, clear the lines and empty fuel tank was the added work.
Still miss the smell and sound though...

@hobo some engines never held a tune. Had to constantly adjust with a flathead screwdriver.

Spent more time tuning the carb then actually running it. Had a reference sheet to adjust lean/rich depending on the ambient temperature. Great fun but cannot come close to the performance of lipo rc's of today.

Needed charged igniter, glow plug, servo battery, starter battery and transmitter battery (8xAA) for my Futaba. Receiver failsafe that prevented the rc from going WOT into a wall when servo battery was low. Binding TX/RX done with AM or FM crystals of the same frequency. After run oil, clear the lines and empty fuel tank was the added work.
Still miss the smell and sound though...
think nitros are good for racing as a pro run time and all that. but give me electric all day long for bashing

I was heavy into nitros for many years. They're so much fun. Mostly Savages, Revos later on, and MGTs. I used to pull the sleeve out of a stock MGT engine, change the port timing, add a shark tooth, and polish, and that sucker would scream. Good times. As far as buggies go, the Hyper series was the best you could get in that price range. I couldn't afford an inferno back then, but sure could afford a Hyper 7. Outstanding buggy.

Oh man! I didn't think about converting it to brushless! Was it hard/complicated?
It's not hard to convert them at all but then the nostalgia is gone lol.. plus to do a decent setup you'd be spending close to half of price of a 6s Typhon rtr and pound for pound I think the Typhon would walk all over it . I enjoy just taking them out and enjoying the sound of the nitro.. then put it away and beat the cr#p out of my arrmas 😂

I was heavy into nitros for many years. They're so much fun. Mostly Savages, Revos later on, and MGTs. I used to pull the sleeve out of a stock MGT engine, change the port timing, add a shark tooth, and polish, and that sucker would scream. Good times. As far as buggies go, the Hyper series was the best you could get in that price range. I couldn't afford an inferno back then, but sure could afford a Hyper 7. Outstanding buggy.
I've added fang's to many sleeves. Best way to learn how to mod is old crap you have laying around. Grind, oops, trash can, on to the next sleeve. (y)
think nitros are good for racing as a pro run time and all that. but give me electric all day long for bashing
I used to lay down faster times with Nitro because they are slower:LOL:. On a groomed blue groove damp track, E 100% beat Nitro but you need a good wheel man.

Oh man! I didn't think about converting it to brushless! Was it hard/complicated?
Not that hard. Time consuming...lots of cutting and drilling. Need a brushless hyper 7 motor mount...makes things easier. If you enjoy wrenching...go for it.

Everyone wants instant satisfaction, no one wants to learn how to tune at their own expense like we all did.
^^^^THIS.

Nitro isn’t for everyone. Takes patience, the desire to tune internal combustion engines, and it’s got to be a feasible option to run them over electric for most folks. If you’re concerned about noise, or your neighbors are gonna have something to say about it, then it’s likely not the right choice as compared to electric. If you just wanna “turn it on, run, and then put it back up until next time”, then it’s not the best option. If you are under the impression that this hobby is inexpensive; again-you’re not likely to enjoy nitro surface RC very much..

Yes-there are consumables involved when running nitro; plugs, fuel, etc.. but again; this hobby is far from cheap no matter what you choose to run if it’s 1/8, current, and dependable to a degree. Motors, a decent inventory of LiPo, LiHV, LiFe batteries, and quality charging equipment for multicell lipo’s isn’t cheap either..

There’s give and take for both, and they both shine in their own respects. I know I can easily dial my tune in, and then run tank after tank, back to back damned near all day long, and not have any issues. You could not pay me to put my expensive electrics through that kind of abuse. They need time to cool down FOR SURE after a pack.. There’s a reason that when racing, nitro’s have pit stops for fuel, and an hour long main, while electrics are 10min, and donezo. They could easily allow for a 15sec pit to change out LiPo’s, and run for an hour, as compared to a 5-7sec nitro fuel stop, but NOBODY’s electronics would survive.

Also depending on track conditions-most of the time in 1/8 off-road specifically; the lap times are neck, and neck when comparing a hot dog 4s setup to a race grade nitro .21. Sometimes nitro is faster. Sometimes electric is. We are honestly at the point (finally) where there isn’t a nitro *uggy on the track, that isn’t grossly overpowered these days, so it’s already at the point of not being able to put down the power available. Tossing in an even rowdier electric setup than what’s currently available would not yield a faster lap when the nitro setup already can’t put all the power down.

To a lot of us, they’re simply apples to oranges, and we enjoy running both. I don’t piss on electric, 6s stuff, or onroad because I love damned near ALL surface RC, and a lot of air as well. The only way you’ll ever get me to stop driving, and enjoying nitro AS WELL AS my electrics, is to pry them from my cold, dead, fingers. ❤️🤙🍻

//////// THIS \\\\\\\\\\
My original Revo 3.3 is about to get a tear down and rebuild to replace all of the dry rotted rubber, etc..

Nitro def takes patience. It is the only nitro car that I have ever owned, but I'll keep it forever. I think often how disappointed I am that I didn't save my last 2 strokes; YZ250 & BANSHEE from my 20's

Back