Granite Back flipping off a short ramp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee82gx

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Notorious
  3. Outcast 6s

Question

I have a Notorious 6s and Kraton 6s. And a parabolic ramp that is about 2 feet high at max extension. But my yard is not very lengthy and is probably 30 feet long.
I’d like to jump my RC and do backflips, but the Kraton 6s will need a tad more juice on the ramp before it’s high enough to build speed and rotation and flip.
the Noto is very much less so but I reckon it must go up 6-10 feet and 20 feet away too, easily.
Both landings end up near the end for me.
I’m thinking a 1/10 MT should be answer? It must be robust or at least strong enough for some bad landings
My choices are : Traxxas, Corally, Arrma or recent Tekno ( I usually can only get parts by mail from Jennysrc) no LHS in my country. Please, I cannot buy Associated Electrics. Not available.
My research says Corally Sketer is too heavy, while the MT 410 2.0 is a bit too expensive and the plastic shock caps are a bit weak for such and expensive vehicle.

I’d like something smaller than the Notorious 6s but not as small as a Grom type.

I’m leaning towards truggifying a Typhon 6s, or a Granite 3s or Outcast 4s v2 (used, not new 2.5) Thoughts boys?

Question

I have a Notorious 6s and Kraton 6s. And a parabolic ramp that is about 2 feet high at max extension. But my yard is not very lengthy and is probably 30 feet long.
I’d like to jump my RC and do backflips, but the Kraton 6s will need a tad more juice on the ramp before it’s high enough to build speed and rotation and flip.
the Noto is very much less so but I reckon it must go up 6-10 feet and 20 feet away too, easily.
I’m thinking a 1/10 MT should be answer? It must be robust or at least strong enough for some bad landings
My choices are : Traxxas, Corally, Arrma or recent Tekno ( I usually can only get parts by mail from Jennysrc) no LHS in my country. Please, I cannot buy Associated Electrics. Not available.
My research says Corally Sketer is too heavy, while the MT 410 2.0 is a bit too expensive and the plastic shock caps are a bit weak for such and expensive vehicle.

I’d like something smaller than the Notorious 6s but not as small as a Grom type.

I’m leaning towards truggifying a Typhon 6s, or a Granite 3s or Outcast 4s v2 (used, not new 2.5) Thoughts boys?

You'll want to play with your Punch settings on your ESC to perhaps get better control on your jumps.

A Typhon 6S would be a good alternative.
At least all the major components are interchangeable..
When you need spares.

I haven’t been able to flip my Typhon 3S. I feel like you would need a lot of room to get that went to backflip.

A Typhon is the same wheelbase as a Noto, and the bigger the tire, the easier it is to backflip, so a truggified Typhon is a step in the wrong direction... and a v2 OC4s is essentially the same truck(a little lighter) but again, with smaller tires... the Granite is the only one I'd consider if your main goal is backflips, but a 6s Outcast is still my pick... it's the easiest vehicle there is to backflip imo, no matter what ramp or yard you're using, just have to up the punch and work on that throttle control right as you enter and leave the ramp, that's where the magic happens

Question

Your Noto 6s should flip no problem in a short space off a parabolic ramp, maybe not ideal but will give you a start. My original MT410 4s has no trouble flipping in a short space.... I have been able to buy two used ones fully built recently between 350-500 US dollars.

For backflips in a small space Granite is really perfect. No RC flips better with minimal air. Except maybe the Outcast with more power and bigger tires.

Can I confirm the flip at 1:09 and 2:22-2:30 is typical for a stock granite and won't murder the drive train / break parts etc etc?

A Typhon is the same wheelbase as a Noto, and the bigger the tire, the easier it is to backflip, so a truggified Typhon is a step in the wrong direction... and a v2 OC4s is essentially the same truck(a little lighter) but again, with smaller tires... the Granite is the only one I'd consider if your main goal is backflips, but a 6s Outcast is still my pick... it's the easiest vehicle there is to backflip imo, no matter what ramp or yard you're using, just have to up the punch and work on that throttle control right as you enter and leave the ramp, that's where the magic happens

Your Noto 6s should flip no problem in a short space off a parabolic ramp, maybe not ideal but will give you a start. My original MT410 4s has no trouble flipping in a short space.... I have been able to buy two used ones fully built recently between 350-500 US dollars.
I have no big problem flipping the Notorious 6S, its more of needing a bit more air and distance. Perhaps its my trigger finger but the video below shows the situation very well:

A typical jump + flip ends up 20feet ahead. I'm hoping to be able to end up closer if it makes sense....

The ideal jump I have in mind is at 1:09 and 2:22 in post #7. Something rather difficult to do, I know I must blame the equipment.

I have no big problem flipping the Notorious 6S, its more of needing a bit more air and distance. Perhaps its my trigger finger but the video below shows the situation very well:

A typical jump + flip ends up 20feet ahead. I'm hoping to be able to end up closer if it makes sense....

The ideal jump I have in mind is at 1:09 and 2:22 in post #7. Something rather difficult to do, I know I must blame the equipment.
I can land a single Notorious 6s backflip in under 10 feet but they are launched at lower speed and by applying trigger at the last moment. If you want to use a higher speed, the only recourse is a steeper launch angle so the energy of the truck goes UP instead of forward.

This will be true even if using a lighter RC. The Granite in the video above is not moving very fast. The real advantage of a smaller truck will be maneuverability on the ground in your limited space.

Can I confirm the flip at 1:09 and 2:22-2:30 is typical for a stock granite and won't murder the drive train / break parts etc etc?
Yes, the Granite can backflip all day off that ramp easily. Bad landings/crashes can always cause breaks, but the Granite will easily hold up to jumps at that height when landing on the wheels.

One of my favorite YouTubers for RC jumps in a small space is Rich D (it’s not Duperdash). Many of his RC’s of choice have been suggested above: Granite, Outcast, MT410 … Check out his videos, maybe you can see which suits you best

Yes, the Granite can backflip all day off that ramp easily. Bad landings/crashes can always cause breaks, but the Granite will easily hold up to jumps at that height when landing on the wheels.

One of my favorite YouTubers for RC jumps in a small space is Rich D (it’s not Duperdash). Many of his RC’s of choice have been suggested above: Granite, Outcast, MT410 … Check out his videos, maybe you can see which suits you best

Thanks, I think we convinced myself to get a Granite. I'm hoping to land one soon, I'm usually fishing for good condition(?) used kits in my area to save money, and give myself more headache in the wrenching department.

RichD looks like he's got great chops. But he's also the one who busted his Tekno MT410 2.0 plastic shock cap on a rather low jump which led me to abandon the rather expensive idea a Tekno build. Not that I'm averse to spending a bit more to upgrade the affected part, its just that Its very very difficult to order Tekno parts where I live. Heck its difficult to order anything non Chinese RC where I live.

See video at time stamp 7:25

Now if the same Arrma part is broken its not so costly and quite a bit easier to get it from JennysRC or even my local E-commerce.

RichD looks like he's got great chops. But he's also the one who busted his Tekno MT410 2.0 plastic shock cap on a rather low jump which led me to abandon the rather expensive idea a Tekno build.
Same here. I love the way the Tekno’s run and fly, but several YouTube bashers including RichD have recommended Arrma over Tekno for durability and reliability.

Back