Big Rock ARA330830 V2 wide hub, what's different about it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which did you buy, FT? They could, but that would be a lot of milling to get the pins to line up. At which point you wouldn't likely gain much "beef" over the stock pieces. Alternatively you can put truck hubs/stubs onto the Typhon to gain about say 10mm total width..
Thing is, I don't want any more width. It's for a Typhon built into an S6. It's already at it's width limit with that JConcepts F2 SCT body. It's okay. No worries.

That’s a ton of useful information right there. Thanks for that. You’ve just influenced my next hub purchase for sure. I need to do some research, as I’m loving the silver X-Ray ones, but I’d need to change the carriers to run on a Typhon, correct?
I imagine the Xray or Tekno are pretty darned close to the Typhon/Mojo adapters as far as pin placement, shims or possibly milling/sanding could definitely make them work. Issue will be the .5mm bigger diameter drive pins that Xray and Tekno are using. You can drill out your stub axles to use the wider pins. I did that with my TC Kronos. It now has Tekno 2.1 hub adapters on it. I did waste a drill bit or two in the process of drilling out 4 stub axles though..😂

Looks like Tekno has another mm of hex engagement, but X-ray appears to require m8x12 shim(s)to eliminate hub slop.
Yes, a healthy shim assortment will definitely help whenever mix/matching these items..

I imagine the Xray or Tekno are pretty darned close to the Typhon/Mojo adapters as far as pin placement, shims or possibly milling/sanding could definitely make them work. Issue will be the .5mm bigger diameter drive pins that Xray and Tekno are using. You can drill out your stub axles to use the wider pins. I did that with my TC Kronos. It now has Tekno 2.1 hub adapters on it. I did waste a drill bit or two in the process of drilling out 4 stub axles though..😂
You'd have to use a lot of 3 in 1 oil as cutting fluid along the way. Drilling dry will destroy the bits fast.

Thing is, I don't want any more width. It's for a Typhon built into an S6. It's already at it's width limit with that JConcepts F2 SCT body. It's okay. No worries.
Just put em in the "future builds bin", LOL. 👌👍😉 How I ended up with so many extra hubs!!🤣

Just put em in the "future builds bin", LOL. 👌👍😉 How I ended up with so many extra hubs!!🤣
Exactly. At least I know they'll go on my K6 and Mojave/K6 hybrid with K6 stub axles if need be. The hybrid has HR +5mm ones. Who knows.

They fit all of your 6s rigs? Any other changes required in any of them?
Yes, I can’t remember if I put them on the Mojave…….and I don’t own the other rigs that may be incompatible…..but yes the work on my talions, kratons, fireteams of course and other rigs I’ve built. They offer another 2-3mm of hex meat to fill the void in the tire, hence less stripping of wheel hexes.

So I received my v2 wide hubs from JRC yesterday. I didn't snap a pic yet but only difference I can see is where the pivot pin goes through the hub. The v2 is a couple millimeters wider than the old hub, so maybe less spacers used to adjust wheelbase. I suppose the benefits might be more strength and surface area to distribute wear. I'll get some pics later on.

Pics. Not much difference.

20240409_184029.jpg

20240409_184048.jpg

20240409_184056.jpg

20240409_184117.jpg

Basically the v2 hub does away with 2 of the 3 hub spacers previously used with the v1 hubs. I put just the widest one of the three on and the hub sits nice and snug in the arm.

Basically the v2 hub does away with 2 of the 3 hub spacers previously used with the v1 hubs. I put just the widest one of the three on and the hub sits nice and snug in the arm.

Hindsight 20/20 of design/manufacturing, either they couldn't keep those pockets consistent filling the mold with the sprue or it was a revision that just made sense for ease of assembly? Regardless, the inside closest spacers are epoxy/glued in place so I don't have to fiddle with piloting alignment every service or change.
Frustrated Adam Sandler GIF by PeacockTV

Hindsight 20/20 of design/manufacturing, either they couldn't keep those pockets consistent filling the mold with the sprue or it was a revision that just made sense for ease of assembly? Regardless, the inside closest spacers are epoxy/glued in place so I don't have to fiddle with piloting alignment every service or change.
Frustrated Adam Sandler GIF by PeacockTV
LOL! Good point, it's likely more for ease of assembly than anything else. I can't see 1mm of material on either side of the hub adding any significant strength..
Also equals "slightly" less adjustability in wheelbase.. not that most end users will care, but, for those who do, just shave off the extra material to retain wheelbase adjustability I suppose?

LOL! Good point, it's likely more for ease of assembly than anything else. I can't see 1mm of material on either side of the hub adding any significant strength..
Also equals "slightly" less adjustability in wheelbase.. not that most end users will care, but, for those who do, just shave off the extra material to retain wheelbase adjustability I suppose?
Wish they would've done that with the upper A-arms too. I understand having axial position adjustment(that 99% don't use anyway), but the real hobbyists will remove material for desired alignment like you mentioned. A LOT easier to remove composite than add it!

Back