Notorious 5s battery???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure only the Max G2's will recognize 5s. I have G1 Max6, which won't. I don't think any of the G1 Max esc's have 5s capability. What's weird is the 8BL150 has had 5s in both G1 and G2. Xerun has always had it though I think.

It says 2-8s for the Max6 on the specs page which is rather misleading imho but the manual says this.

2) You need to set “LiPo Cells” to “Auto Calc.” and “Cutoff Voltage” to “Disabled” if you use a NiMH pack or a 5S/7S LiPo.

It says 2-8s for the Max6 on the specs page which is rather misleading imho but the manual says this.

2) You need to set “LiPo Cells” to “Auto Calc.” and “Cutoff Voltage” to “Disabled” if you use a NiMH pack or a 5S/7S LiPo.
Yes, with LVC disabled, but obviously we need another means to moniter voltage. I meant that the 8BL150, Xerun have always been able to detect 5s automatically. Max G2 now has that ability as well.

Yes, with LVC disabled, but obviously we need another means to moniter voltage. I meant that the 8BL150, Xerun have always been able to detect 5s automatically. Max G2 now has that ability as well.
Like I said their product description is very misleading. I should not have to look at the manual to get that information it should be right there in the product description.

I can confirm that a Max 5 G2 if you try to turn it on with 4s will tell you "go to hell" and "give me more volts" haha. Both my G2's have a minimum of 6s required.

My Max6 can take 4s and still function.

Concerning 5s packs, haha, the only reason I have 3 of them is because I get a bad cell, usually from physical damage, and I just cut it out and re do the Balance lead and main Pos/Neg connector.

I have videos on my YouTube if anyone ever dares to do what to me is normal now haha. "Chopping up LiPos and building packs." I have done about a dozen or so.

Ok I've learned alot watching my thread! 5s pack is debatable for sure! Thanks everyone. But now I'll throw this question at yall now I've seen so much about ESCs & their limits or requirements
Which ESC would pair good w a TP4070 1700kv or 2080kv (I'm leaning to 1700) a Hobbywing Ezrun MAX8 G2 or the MMX Extreme 1/8. I'm leaning to the HW Max8. And or use the HW 4278SD G2 motor?
I may build a KRATON slider up I found

Ok I've learned alot watching my thread! 5s pack is debatable for sure! Thanks everyone. But now I'll throw this question at yall now I've seen so much about ESCs & their limits or requirements
Which ESC would pair good w a TP4070 1700kv or 2080kv (I'm leaning to 1700) a Hobbywing Ezrun MAX8 G2 or the MMX Extreme 1/8. I'm leaning to the HW Max8. And or use the HW 4278SD G2 motor?
I may build a KRATON slider up I found
The main thing I use 5s for...

-X-maxx Max 5 g2 system... 10s is perfect 5sx2
-New Infraction Build Max 5 G2... 10s will be the sweet spot
-Sonicwake boat before my Hobbywing Seaking 180amp upgrade. Out of the box the sonicwake is not 6s capable cept maybe 1 or 2 pulls then it starts exploding stuff with heat. 5S was the perfect sweek spot for it. After the update to the Seaking she is just drop in 6s and hammer down!!!
-Arrma typhon and senton both 6s. These really are best on 5s if you get a aftermarket esc that supports it. Or else your blowing tires left and right.

The main thing I use 5s for...

-X-maxx Max 5 g2 system... 10s is perfect 5sx2
-New Infraction Build Max 5 G2... 10s will be the sweet spot
-Sonicwake boat before my Hobbywing Seaking 180amp upgrade. Out of the box the sonicwake is not 6s capable cept maybe 1 or 2 pulls then it starts exploding stuff with heat. 5S was the perfect sweek spot for it. After the update to the Seaking she is just drop in 6s and hammer down!!!
-Arrma typhon and senton both 6s. These really are best on 5s if you get a aftermarket esc that supports it. Or else your blowing tires left and right.
I run 5s packs in my twin motor TFL 1122 mid size Zonda . the hull is to small to run any 6s packs over 3000mah . The hobbywing seaking detects them fine. Run them on my Kraton it wont detect for lvc but have no problems using a lipo alarm .

I run 5s packs in my twin motor TFL 1122 mid size Zonda . the hull is to small to run any 6s packs over 3000mah . The hobbywing seaking detects them fine. Run them on my Kraton it wont detect for lvc but have no problems using a lipo alarm .
(y) I fly so i have np not having LVC hahaha

I have also switched every land/water vehicle over to the R7FG as it sends the voltage of the pack right on screen of the Radiolink RC6gs and you can set alarms for whatever voltage you like.

Currently I only use this feature as a necessity on 1 esc right now. But it is nice having pack voltage right there to see even if you don't need it.

I can confirm that a Max 5 G2 if you try to turn it on with 4s will tell you "go to hell" and "give me more volts" haha. Both my G2's have a minimum of 6s required.

Concerning 5s packs, haha, the only reason I have 3 of them is because I get a bad cell, usually from physical damage, and I just cut it out and re do the Balance lead and main Pos/Neg connector.

I have videos on my YouTube if anyone ever dares to do what to me is normal now haha. "Chopping up LiPos and building packs." I have done about a dozen or so.
I've opened a few packs with intentions of replacing cells, lost my nerve looking at how the wires are soldered onto the cell "tabs". Got a link for the vids?

Which ESC would pair good w a TP4070 1700kv or 2080kv (I'm leaning to 1700) a Hobbywing Ezrun MAX8 G2 or the MMX Extreme 1/8. I'm leaning to the HW Max8
A TP4070 would murder either one of those ESCs.

You want an MMX8S.

I've opened a few packs with intentions of replacing cells, lost my nerve looking at how the wires are soldered onto the cell "tabs". Got a link for the vids?
Sure man np. You'll get the just after watching a bit of any of these!

Last edited:
A TP4070 would murder either one of those ESCs.

You want an MMX8S.
So the MMX8S & TP4070 1700kv are perfect on 6s in a Kraton, yes? Or would the MMX8S combo w 1717 1650kv be best & stay w Castle pairing

@olds97_lss makes his own packs a lot too.
So the MMX8S & TP4070 1700kv are perfect on 6s in a Kraton, yes? Or would the MMX8S combo w 1717 1650kv be best & stay w Castle pairing

I have zero experience with any of the TP motors but I do know that you cannot go wrong with the MMX8s 1717 1650kv combo.

I’d expect performance to be very similar between the 4070 and the 1717.

But I buy sensored whenever I can. Sure the smooth throttle is nice, but the best part of a sensored setup is the automatic motor temp cutoff. You can gear higher without checking or worrying about motor temps.

^^^
Zerun does as far as I know. Voltage selectable in the Firmware. Both my old and new ones.

@olds97_lss makes his own packs a lot too.

I have zero experience with any of the TP motors but I do know that you cannot go wrong with the MMX8s 1717 1650kv combo.
The 1717 is 47mmx85mm will that fit the Kraton?

The 1717 is 47mmx85mm will that fit the Kraton?
Motor faces the rear, It can fit a monster, I have fit a 4985 hobbywing but it had plenty of space left. The 4985 has the correct holes for a 25mm mount, not sure if the 1717 is 25mm or 30mm but id think it would be 25 and fit the stock mount. Regardless you can modify the mount if needed. I fit a 56118 "30mm mounting" to the stock arrma motor mount with mild customization.

Last edited:
Sure man np. You'll get the just after watching a bit of any of these!

Thanks for sharing👍
If I have 2x2s packs, each with one bad cell, is it possible to seperate the bad, then put the 2 good cells back together? In the first vid you posted, I see you're joining 3x2s to make a 6s, but I'm looking to replace individual cells.

Thanks for sharing👍
If I have 2x2s packs, each with one bad cell, is it possible to seperate the bad, then put the 2 good cells back together? In the first vid you posted, I see you're joining 3x2s to make a 6s, but I'm looking to replace individual cells.
Yes of course. A cell is just a cell. You can solder them in parallel or in series. As many as you want however you want. Then just tape them up and you have a battery pack.

There’s fire and injury risk working with batteries like that though. Considering the price of a 2S battery, I personally wouldn’t mess with it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back