$30.00 battery charging safety box.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbobjr

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Mojave EXB
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
I made this out of a sentry 1200 fire resistant documents box. It is the non waterproof one without a seal. A dollar bill will free pass thru the lid when shut so no need for venting. They are $30 at the Home Depot. Using some wood stove caulk to seal the slots I made for the wires. It’s at least as safe as the bat safe and far better than an ammo box. I just used a drill and keyhole saw to slot it and ran my leads thru...
Here’s a test video of one of sentrys safes. Not the same but has the same fire rating.

0CF47D59-88E8-41F9-A6E6-1E884A3B4FD4.jpeg

CA993932-A29B-40AE-AC16-B2EBC1D211F0.jpeg

CF713598-3CDE-4592-AE04-131874305F4D.jpeg

(y). Wayyyy better than any Lipo bag.
Yeah venting is important. Lipos reach over 1000F real fast also. Pressure needs to release with that.

Last edited:
(y). Wayyyy better than any Lipo bag.
Yeah venting is important. Lipos reach over 1000F real fast also. Pressure needs to release with that.

Why is venting so important (I mean I figured you would want SOME venting)? are these batteries getting that hot during charging (I wouldn't think so), and it they get that hot when burning, woudn't you want less venting (less air, so less fire/heat)? Just wondering...

Why is venting so important (I mean I figured you would want SOME venting)? are these batteries getting that hot during charging (I wouldn't think so), and it they get that hot when burning, woudn't you want less venting (less air, so less fire/heat)? Just wondering...
When pressure builds, it becomes a bomb

OK, that's makes sense. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm very new to LiPo technology.
No problem. We all started there too. Ask as many questions as you need to stay safe. Last thing anyone wants is someone getting hurt.

Vented ammo can

Sealed ammo can

Drill 3/8” size holes in multiple spots and you will be good to go 👍
If you use the Sentry 1200 there’s no need for holes. The lid is not sealed but has a raised lip as to prevent flames from entering (or exiting) the box. The box and lid are both one continuous piece construction and non conductive with cement inside. They also make several other boxes which are sealed.
For an ammo can just remove the seal and again no need for holes. If you do use a metal can for charging imo it should be lined with cement board or similar non conductive material. If there’s a fire your battery leads will unsolder and could hit the metal can and discharge all at once.
I’m in no way “Mr. Safety” and been charging lipos for years on my bench in a lipo bag. I was smoking briscuit, had a lot of time to kill around the house and made this. It’s effective, simple to use and cheap. Might even mount my charger to it to make a portable charging unit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back