Outcast Center diff bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnboy5586

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Outcast 4s
Does anyone else with a v2.5 rig have the center diff bearings on the outsides of the housing go out? (15x21x4mm) My truck eats them. It is on its 4th set now. I guess due to heat but I'm not sure. Seriously debating a set of the ceramic bearings for it. Also no matter torque, loctite, etc the spur gear screws do not stay tight holding it to the center diff housing which let's the spur gear have a little bit of play

I am on my 2nd set, so yes, they do go bad. I have not had a problem with the center diff housing screws but I do have a little bit of play in the gear.

I had a broken bearing with my slipper clutch. I notice these bearings have a hard life, they go bad pretty quickly, especially since I am driving 4s. I now put some bearing from a brand, see if the last longer.

This is not a slipper clutch, but I hope this is useful input. I did shim the slipper to have less play on longitudinal direction.

20240422_152010.jpg

Those bearings were the first to go for me. Seemed like the bearing locked up and stripped the gears. I installed a hardened steel 57t gear which seems to stay tight and I haven't had any further problems with the bearings, but it does get very hot. I also installed a metal center diff case (for mojave) in my outcast which dissipates the heat a lot better. Maybe try cleaning the screws and holes with rubbing alcohol and a microfiber, then locktight and let the locktight dry for a day or two, plus buy a metal diff case. I just had to do that with the motor spur gear grub screw.

spur stripped.jpg

metal diff case.jpg

Those bearings were the first to go for me. Seemed like the bearing locked up and stripped the gears. I installed a hardened steel 57t gear which seems to stay tight and I haven't had any further problems with the bearings, but it does get very hot. I also installed a metal center diff case (for mojave) in my outcast which dissipates the heat a lot better. Maybe try cleaning the screws and holes with rubbing alcohol and a microfiber, then locktight and let the locktight dry for a day or two, plus buy a metal diff case. I just had to do that with the motor spur gear grub screw.

View attachment 364831

View attachment 364832
Mine has the metal diff case or are you referring to the housing for the center diff that the motor bolts to?

That metal diff case is not from Arrma or is it?
No, some other part of China. The outcast v2.5 has the same center diff setup as the arrma mojave 4s so look that up on Amazon because it will not be listed for the outcast 4s v2.5.

Mine has the metal diff case or are you referring to the housing for the center diff that the motor bolts to?
Yes the housing that the motor bolts to helps to dissipate the heat and keeps it nice and straight. Mine gets almost as hot as the motor.

Last edited:
No, some other part of China. The outcast v2.5 has the same center diff setup as the arrma mojave 4s so look that up on Amazon because it will not be listed for the outcast 4s v2.5.

Yes the housing that the motor bolts to helps to dissipate the heat and keeps it nice and straight. Mine gets almost as hot as the motor.
I've battled motor temps with this rig since day 1 pretty much. Still going through stuff trying to get that straightened out, I notice when it starts running hotter than normal one of the bearings on the center diff housing will be gritty feeling like clock work

I've battled motor temps with this rig since day 1 pretty much. Still going through stuff trying to get that straightened out, I notice when it starts running hotter than normal one of the bearings on the center diff housing will be gritty feeling like clock work
Try the

Aluminum Center Gearbox Case Transmission Housing Differential Cover for Arrma 1/8 Mojave 4X4 4S BLX​

Lol yeah that is what it is called. Also get a rocket fan.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0CR6DG5W8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Try the

Aluminum Center Gearbox Case Transmission Housing Differential Cover for Arrma 1/8 Mojave 4X4 4S BLX​

Lol yeah that is what it is called. Also get a rocket fan.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0CR6DG5W8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Although it's not the complete housing like you have, I do have the M2C motor plate/housing front cover. I also have dual 30mm rocket fans on the heatsink. I ordered a set of hybrid ceramic bearings from trb rc to put on the center diff, in theory they should hold up better to the heat generated than the standard bearings, we'll see though

The center diff oil might be to thin from factory. Diff is working hard causing heat build up and crappy bearings are failing.

Did you put a thermal pad or thermal paste between the motor and heatsink? Otherwise might just throw the heatsink in the trash because it's useless without it...
Na I didn't, I just made sure the screw that makes the heatsink clamp down on the motor was tight. Do you have a paste or pad you recommend?

Last edited:
This is the thermal pad I bought. And it works!
ARCTIC TP-3: Premium Performance Thermal Pad, 100 x 100 x 1.0 mm (1 Piece) - High Performance, Particularly Soft, Ideal Gap Filler, Bridging Gaps, Thermal Pads gpu, Thermal pad CPU https://a.co/d/ifXz7ls

Back