You know you're old if...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well these are the "m-80s" they produce today, which are actually or like 3 or 5 grams of powder, not 80 like the old school ones. You have to have a federal explosives license to get true m-80s.
That's cool still! I haven't been to a fireworks store in forever. GA doesn't have real stores like SC. When I was a kid my dad use to take us up to SC & get several huge packs of Black Cats & the old school M80s. He would only give us one or two at time. My brother, one time, took two apart & combined them into one & blew the back window out of an old junk car in our field.

Last edited:
That's cool still! I haven't been to a fireworks store in forever. GA doesn't have real stores like SC. When I was a kid my dad use to take us up to SC & get several huge packs of Black Cats & the old school M80s. He would only give us one or two at time. My brother, one time, took two apart & combined them into one & blew the back window out of an old junk car in our field.
This was last 4th of July, all the "m-80s" are lined up on the couch there, still have most of em. I will go bigger this year.
IMG_20230702_011430970.jpg

The aftermath.
IMG_20230705_200418507.jpg

I got these from SC, right across the line next to Carowinds.

Add an hr for me :confused:, I'm pretty close to the VA line. Wish NC would just legalize 'em already, I've been going to SC for 'em since I was a kid.
Same here. The M80s we had looked like this. Found on the net. If you took them apart, the green fuse was glued into a pill about the size of a Tylenol.

F-m80.jpg

Same here. The M80s we had looked like this. Found on the net. If you took them apart, the green fuse was glued into a pill about the size of a Tylenol.

View attachment 370435
They packed a punch. The m160 was even nastier. Didn't want hold either one in your hand.

Fireworks have been illegal for many years in MN. But, everyone knows a guy, who knows a guy. Lol. When I was younger, my folks had a place on a lake up north. Every 4th, all the residents lit them off over the lake. People cheered when something good was lit off. My brother got ahold of a couple M160s. When things started winding down, he placed a chunk of 1" plywood at the end of the dock. Set it on top, lit it, and ran back to shore. BOOM! Long pause.....and cheers erupted all around the lake!

I was about 30 ft away and it felt like somone slapped me in the chest. Even with my fingers in my ears, they rang for quite awhile. After the excitement wore off, we walked to the end of the dock. The plywood was broken in two and so were 3 boards on the dock. Dad was pissed. He had just built it and installed it 2 weeks earlier. We fixed it the next weekend. He got over it. Lol.

This was last 4th of July, all the "m-80s" are lined up on the couch there, still have most of em. I will go bigger this year.
View attachment 370431
The aftermath.
View attachment 370432

I got these from SC, right across the line next to Carowinds.
It was all mortars and a few small boxes (shot from right side of the mortar tubes) for the show, then once i was down to 1 mortar per tube left, the front row with all the boxes were all set off at the same time with the last of the mortars for the "finale". I'll see if the wife will film it this year to show y'all.

Back