Xmaxx question.. (don't yell at me)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppysRC

Extreme product tester
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Outcast EXB
  6. Typhon TLR
Hi doing an OEM+ Rebuild on the Snap on Xmaxx I picked up from FB marketplace. This is the only RC forum I use. I am aware these threads exist. Humor me and lets have a convo if you have experience or opinion on the matter.

I want to change out the ESC and probably motor on the Xmaxx. I know a lot of people seem to like the Max6 + stock motor. I don't REALLY want to keep the stock motor.

So let me hear what you think. OEM+ Is important I don't really want this rig to have ungodly amounts of power. Just run cool and be reliable. I don't drive it often but I want it to be the rig I let my friends or whoever drive when I take out my trucks. Currently looking at Max6 with 5690 or Max5 with 5690. I am open to whatever brand or combo yall recommend this is just currently what I am deciding between.

I think the Max5 with 5690 is the right choice based on the weight of the rig.
I run the Max6 G2 in my Kraton and it gets mildly warm but I would worry with a rig that is 5 to 10 lbs heavier like the XMAXX it would be too hot?

I ran the first Gen Max5 with a leopard 5892 (1340kv) in an XMAXX and it ran great.

Last edited:
Since your letting your friends or whoever drive it, I wouldn't update the motor. Id remove the motor and add a string on the front to pull it around.
I should probably get them a helmet as well

I have seen so many X-maxx's with the Max6 and the stock motor. I think its a good reliable combo.

If you go aftermarket motor, you will need to pickup a new motor mount setup as well.

I still have the TRX VXL-8S :cool:

I have seen so many X-maxx's with the Max6 and the stock motor. I think its a good reliable combo.

If you go aftermarket motor, you will need to pickup a new motor mount setup as well.

I still have the TRX VXL-8S :cool:
I count on it. doing full m2c kit 😁

I was going to say Max 6 5687/5690, plenty for stock weight rig. Depends on how much M2C you plan on burdening it with I guess. Then the Porkline tires.. good luck with diffs.😬🙄🤣
I will do everything in my power to never buy prolines again. It is my mission.

If you already have stuff use it, max6 and stock motor works fine.
Max6 g2 or Max5 with 5690 will be able to give insane power for the xmaxx.

Depends on what you want from the xmaxx, insane power with to high punch may be good or bad depending on usecase and driver.

I’d stay stock motor with a max6 and 20/50 gearing. Plenty of power, stays cool, and you don’t have to spend an arm and a leg on m2c parts.
IS it really that good? I have a max 6 just laying around... I can throw it in right now for $0... I don't mind spending money though if it will be way better

IS it really that good? I have a max 6 just laying around... I can throw it in right now for $0... I don't mind spending money though if it will be way better

I felt like the max6 and gearing change really made mine come to life. I have an XRT with a max5/1100kv combo and honestly on the smiles to dollars ratio I’d pick the max6/stock motor combo.

I use max 6 g2 /stock motor 20/50. Goes like stink and not overweight. The g2 esc has plenty of power and mine doesn't get hot. Spend a little on a better servo and linkage instead.

I use max 6 g2 /stock motor 20/50. Goes like stink and not overweight. The g2 esc has plenty of power and mine doesn't get hot. Spend a little on a better servo and linkage instead.

Yeah I have fully rebuilt the entire steering system servo included. Trying to do a better version of what the "ultimate build” should have been in my opinion

I was running 20/50 on stock motor and Max6 G1, XRT Gravix tires, but the motor gets too hot during summer. Now on 18/50, still hitting 165f in 10 minutes or less. Bad bearings somewhere perhaps, IDK. I'm waiting for something to manifest itself. I've replaced motor and hub bearings, still running hot..🤷‍♂️

I was running 20/50 on stock motor and Max6 G1, XRT Gravix tires, but the motor gets too hot during summer. Now on 18/50, still hitting 165f in 10 minutes or less. Bad bearings somewhere perhaps, IDK. I'm waiting for something to manifest itself. I've replaced motor and hub bearings, still running hot..🤷‍♂️
Brother I am in Texas. I have tried so many set ups on my rigs. I have used high powered standalone fans on 3s. I have used tall fans. Short fans. Heat sink. No heatsink. Even on brand new bearings all around I cant run anything down here for more than 15 mins without getting nervous.

Was afraid I cooked my modded Fireteam today, it survived but it needs a fan on it, 70 farenheit today.

Motor from Xmaxx 6s 1600vxl with its heatzink.
ESC from Xmaxx 8s
21 or 22 pinion
2 3s 8000 100c gen ace bashing batteries

The motor is 48 diameter max size for stock mount, motor touches alu bottom chassi, the was chassi warm after I was done :D

X Maxx user here with a Max 6 and Stock motor.

It really is a great combo. I do want to upgrade to a castle system but that is just because I want to not because the truck needs it. More than enough to stunt away and pull some roosts.

I'm convinced the TRX 8s rigs live their best life in near stock trim. Sure the Xmaxx is a bit tippy, but considering it's tall and relatively narrow stance, I was impressed by the handling the first time I drove one. More stable than I expected. I'm running +10mm stubs now, but only bought them to fit Arrma 8s wheels initially. At the moment I'm enjoying the +10 hubs and Gravix tires, it definitely will roll, but is pretty stable for what I'm doing, which is not what most do. I run it on a track during summer, snowbank jumping during winter.
I feel the 4985 is enough for a TRX 8s, definitely not enough for an Arrma 8s though.
I've found that for stunting and flipping, the TRX and Arrma 8s tires are just too light. I can barely pull off a backflip on either of those stock tires/wheels, which is fine by me, but if I were looking to backflip, I would source a heavier tire. The Duratrax tires and wheels were decent, heavier than stock, but not quite Trencher or Magma heavy. Too bad the Duratrax are gone. IMO anyways. I'm waiting to see how my brother's Xmaxx does on the HW 5690, he hasn't been able to figure how to get the Max6 G2 working yet, LOL. Just bring the darned thing out to the house already I keep telling him. We'll figure it out. He has M2C MM and mod 1.5 gears now. I'm definitely curious to see it in action, but still can't imagine it's going to be usable on track.

Back