would paddle tires even help in this type of snow?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as the snow is deep enough so your wheels don't bottom out on the hard surface below you're good.

The amount of Amp draw due to the bite of Paddles is enormous in the thick wet stuff. Lower Gearing should be considered. Temps still need to be checked even though it is quite cold out there.

The amount of Amp draw due to the bite of Paddles is enormous in the thick wet stuff. Lower Gearing should be considered. Temps still need to be checked even though it is quite cold out there.
Great point. I had my fireteam out a few days ago and runtime was 50% of normal.

Yeah, snow bashing is limited for me. I enjoy it, but too deep or fluffy kinda ruins it. Plus the constant, or near constant full throttle is hell on electronics/batteries.. paddles will keep it moving, but if you stop in deep snow, they just dig down before getting any momentum to move. Many run paddles on just the rear, steering with paddles on the front is pretty vague in my experience. Crusty snow that supports the rig (and knobby tires) is my favorite as long as it isn't covered in slick ice. We just had 6 inches of powder, then rain and warm. If it freezes now, should be perfect, crusty, textured snow.👍😎

Last edited:
kraton 8s with proline badlands did not do well in snow
Absolutely! My Kraton and Notorious are beasts in the snow with the ProLine 3.8 Slingshots. Unfortunately, those are discontinued but I'm pretty sure the ProLine Dumonts would be almost as effective. Rooster tails await you my friend.

Power Hobby sells them too. Hey, I just noticed the MX43'S are gone from Prolines website..so, first they discontinued the Sling Shot 4.3 replacement tires that could be mounted on our Pro loc wheels, then discontinued the pre mounted Sling Shots..now the MX43'S are gone? Boo! Shame!
Wait.. I see them now, listed for Xmaxx? Weird. Proline is owned by HH, who owns Arrma..but lists Pro-Loc wheels and tires under Xmaxx but not Arrma 8s?🤔🤷‍♂️🤪

Last edited:
Yeah, snow bashing is limited for me. I enjoy it, but too deep or fluffy kinda ruins it. Plus the constant, or near constant full throttle is hell on electronics/batteries.. paddles will keep it moving, but if you stop in deep snow, they just dig down before getting any momentum to move. Many run paddles on just the rear, steering with paddles on the front is pretty vague in my experience. Crusty snow that supports the rig (and knobby tires) is my favorite as long as it isn't covered in slick ice. We just had 6 inches of powder, then rain and warm. If it freezes now, should be perfect, crusty, textured snow.👍😎
+1
In keeping with proper diameter of all 4 wheels on 4WD setups, I have seen some guys Reverse the rotation of the paddles in the front for that reason. I myself always left them rotating correctly. I was never a fan of paddles. Except with RWD models Myself. And only in the sand when when I did. Paddles have been around forever in RC. They really can burden the electrics and the drivetrain. But if the snow is something you like, these are the only best option.

Last edited:
+1
In keeping with proper diameter of all 4 wheels pn 4WD setup, I have seen some guys Reverse the rotation of the paddles in the front for that reason. I myself always left them rotating correctly. I was never a fan of paddles. Except with RWD models Myself. And only in the sand when when I did. Paddles have been around forever in RC. The really can burden the electrics and the drivetrain. But if the snow is something you like, these are the only best option.
I still have a pair of Proline 2.2 ST Sand Paws from the mid nineties. Bought them for sand running with my Losi GTX 2WD nitro stadium truck. Still have the Losi as well, 2 actually. Haven't seen the light of day in 20 years.
I have however used the Sand Paws on my 2wd Bandit and Rustlers in the snow. Anything over an inch or two, forget it. Insufficient ground clearance.

IMO, paddle tires can help up to a point, but ultimately you are limited by the depth of snow. I would frequently run my Summit in the snow. Even with locked diffs, trying out low gear/high gear, and the amazing articulation and ground clearance it has, it still struggled beyond 5+ inches of fresh powder snow.

At some point, the deep powdery snow basically starts to basically feel like nothing more than a "dense fog" to an RC. I've run several trucks in various scales in the powdery snow -- I feel like i'd section RCs off in this way for POWDER snow:

< 2 inches: 1/10 scale
2-4 inches: 1/10 scale with heavy mods (power/paddles) and 1/8 scale
4-6 inches: 1/6 or 1/5 scale
6-7 inches: 1/5 scale with mods
7+ inches: Raminator

IMO, paddle tires can help up to a point, but ultimately you are limited by the depth of snow. I would frequently run my Summit in the snow. Even with locked diffs, trying out low gear/high gear, and the amazing articulation and ground clearance it has, it still struggled beyond 5+ inches of fresh powder snow.

At some point, the deep powdery snow basically starts to basically feel like nothing more than a "dense fog" to an RC. I've run several trucks in various scales in the powdery snow -- I feel like i'd section RCs off in this way for POWDER snow:

< 2 inches: 1/10 scale
2-4 inches: 1/10 scale with heavy mods (power/paddles) and 1/8 scale
4-6 inches: 1/6 or 1/5 scale
6-7 inches: 1/5 scale with mods
7+ inches: Raminator
Sounds about right I'd say.
Momentum is key, just like a snowmobile in deep powder or even water skiing..slow too much, and it's over. I 3d printed some huge (about 8") paddle tires and wheels. Put them on my Kaiju, which was all I really had to try them on at the time. They did great. I ran it over 15" of powder pretty easily. When time to turn though, needed alot of room since a minimum speed needs to be maintained to stay "on top" of the snow. Of course with just a 4068 sized motor, it was "doin work" LOL. I ended up shattering a wheel hub on a sideways landing. Took forever to print them, so gave up after that.. 3 are still good, maybe I'll revisit. The K6 XL with a 4092 I have would certainly fair better, at least for power. I think the Xmaxx is my favorite for deep snow though, huge tires, lightweight. I don't have paddles for it though..

Unfortunately, those are discontinued but I'm pretty sure the ProLine Dumonts would be almost as effective. Rooster tails await you my friend.
I have both, and I'd say the dumonts are at least as effective as the slingshots.

Some fun in a light dusting of snow is about as far as I will go, if at all.
I keep all my Bashers dry now.
My Crawlers fulfill all that Snow fun that I get now.
I truly love Trail hiking my Crawlers in Snow Blizzards. Winds blowing hard etc. The best. Nothing stops them at all. A complete pisser for me. I feel like a young adventurous kid again. Along with my Son. We wear ski masks and gloves and under plastic bags over the cheap RTR radios and all. Our Crawlers come home looking like a lump of snow on 4 wheels. I just rinse them off in the shower. Then blow them dry. :giggle:

Last edited:
I have both, and I'd say the dumonts are at least as effective as the slingshots.
I figured as much but the angle fin design and the fact that they're narrower, makes me think they wouldn't stay on top of the soft stuff like the wide finned Slingshots. The only reason I don't have Dumonts (yet) is because my Slingshots are in great shape. Of the two sets I have, one wheel is damaged on the inside thin wall, but some CA and Gorilla tape has kept it alive for two seasons. That's probably where the Dumonts would be better also. Not as wide so probably take some decent jumps better and without cracking

Sounds about right I'd say.
Momentum is key, just like a snowmobile in deep powder or even water skiing..slow too much, and it's over. I 3d printed some huge (about 8") paddle tires and wheels. Put them on my Kaiju, which was all I really had to try them on at the time. They did great. I ran it over 15" of powder pretty easily. When time to turn though, needed alot of room since a minimum speed needs to be maintained to stay "on top" of the snow. Of course with just a 4068 sized motor, it was "doin work" LOL. I ended up shattering a wheel hub on a sideways landing. Took forever to print them, so gave up after that.. 3 are still good, maybe I'll revisit. The K6 XL with a 4092 I have would certainly fair better, at least for power. I think the Xmaxx is my favorite for deep snow though, huge tires, lightweight. I don't have paddles for it though..
Yeah you should not stop. Need to keep rolling.
Or you end up digging in stuck on your belly. Just like with scale vehicles.
I still have a pair of Proline 2.2 ST Sand Paws from the mid nineties. Bought them for sand running with my Losi GTX 2WD nitro stadium truck. Still have the Losi as well, 2 actually. Haven't seen the light of day in 20 years.
I have however used the Sand Paws on my 2wd Bandit and Rustlers in the snow. Anything over an inch or two, forget it. Insufficient ground clearance.
Ran those same exact PL paddles. RC10T's and My 2 Nitro GT's. Running Nitros in the snow is daunting. Especially when the Clutch and slipper get all wet.
They have since all dry rotted out and I tossed them a few years ago. I kept the RPM Vector wheels. They are vintage by now. RPM doesn't make wheels anymore.
:LOL:

Last edited:
Yeah you should not stop. Need to keep rolling.
Or you end up digging in stuck on your belly. Just like with scale vehicles.

Ran those same exact PL paddles. RC10T's and My 2 Nitro GT's. Running Nitros in the snow is daunting. Especially when the Clutch and slipper get all wet.
They have since all dry rotted out and I tossed them a few years ago. I kept the RPM Vector wheels. They are vintage by now. RPM doesn't make wheels anymore.
:LOL:
My bro has RC10GT. I went Losi, just to be different. The RC10GT was way more durable. He still has it. The Sand Paws I have are mounted on HPI wheels. Also have PL Dirt Paws from that era, they're pretty beat though. A bin full of Losi 2.2 ST tires on dish wheels too. Nope wet centrifugal clutches don't work very well,LOL.

Paddles are paddles. IMO.
One can split hairs on this..... Just buy what is cheapest in the size you want or need.

IDK if PL is actually offering the Pro Loc wheels for Arrma 8s or not. I didn't find them on their site. One can drill out the center hole of the Xmaxx versions easily enough. IDK if those wheels have a traditional 24mm hex or the TRX style hexes though. I have seen folks put TRX 8s wheels onto Arrma's. Have to modify them though to fit. Can't imagine it working long term though since the TRX wheels are so thin to start with. The Arrma's are likely too heavy for modded TRX wheels IMO.

We don't get snow more than a few times a year where I'm at. We've had close to a foot of snow twice in the few years I've been here. Once it was fairly dry powdery when I took my Typhon with paddle tires out, it just sunk to its chassis within a few feet and had to be picked up and started again. Tried my 2wd Stampede and it went a little further mostly because it weighs less and the front tires didn't dig in. Still not much fun.
I've been out 2 or 3 times when we've gotten a rain/snow mix and an inch or 2 of slush accumulates at the park, that was my favorite. Ran the Stampede with rear paddles and sent white rooster tails flying before hydroplaning on puddles 20ft across, total blast!! Its my only wet weather basher, takes it really well with minimum maintenance.
Snow is just tricky with these rigs, a little difference in how deep and/or wet the snow is can make a big difference in how it works for what you are doing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back