Whats the gas prices in your area?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gas in my area is $3.27 to $3.35. Been dropping slowly for a week now. Holidays will be coming up soon, so I expect it to start going up. Too bad it doesn't go up as slow as it comes down.

Even at 7mpg that is 85$ and using 8000 cans of soda, I am still under .0107 cents per can or 13 cents per 12 pack.
What was your point?
My point was to correct yours.

That's only one way into a store. Are you one of those people that think Coke or Pepsi automatically has ingredients appear? Add up all the fuel it takes to get that can formed; the fuel it takes for Coke to get all the materials/ingredients delivered to begin to make the pop can and the actual ingredients inside the can, add up all the anodizing/can paint materials it takes to make the can look good enough to buy. Add up all the fuel costs Pepsi's suppliers, suppliers took too.

That's only one way into a store. Are you one of those people that think Coke or Pepsi automatically has ingredients appear? Add up all the fuel it takes to get that can formed; the fuel it takes for Coke to get all the materials/ingredients delivered to begin to make the pop can and the actual ingredients inside the can, add up all the anodizing/can paint materials it takes to make the can look good enough to buy. Add up all the fuel costs Pepsi's suppliers, suppliers took too.

More than a couple of gallons of fuel to make One six-pack of pop..

Just be glad your vehicle doesn't run on any of these. :ROFLMAO:

THE 10 MOST EXPENSIVE LIQUIDS IN THE WORLD

1. SCORPION VENOM $39,000,000 PER GALLON
2. KING COBRA VENOM $153,000 PER GALLON
3. LYSERGIC ACID DIETHYLAMIDE (LSD) $123,000 PER GALLON
4. HORSESHOE CRAB BLOOD $60,000 PER GALLON
5. CHANEL NO. 5 $26,000 PER GALLON
6. INSULIN $9,400* PER GALLON
7. MERCURY $3,400 PER GALLON
8. BLACK PRINTER INK $2,700 PER GALLON
9. GAMMA HYDROXYBUTYRIC ACID (GHB): $2,500 PER GALLON
10. HUMAN BLOOD: $1,500 PER GALLON

Last edited:
Just be glad your vehicle run on any of these. :ROFLMAO:

THE 10 MOST EXPENSIVE LIQUIDS IN THE WORLD

1. SCORPION VENOM $39,000,000 PER GALLON
2. KING COBRA VENOM $153,000 PER GALLON
3. LYSERGIC ACID DIETHYLAMIDE (LSD) $123,000 PER GALLON
4. HORSESHOE CRAB BLOOD $60,000 PER GALLON
5. CHANEL NO. 5 $26,000 PER GALLON
6. INSULIN $9,400* PER GALLON
7. MERCURY $3,400 PER GALLON
8. BLACK PRINTER INK $2,700 PER GALLON
9. GAMMA HYDROXYBUTYRIC ACID (GHB): $2,500 PER GALLON
10. HUMAN BLOOD: $1,500 PER GALLON
Don't forget Tapit or Cigar. They get like 300k a load. :LOL:

On top of all of those costs that were forgotten, I also don't think that Coca Cola and Pepsi have facilities within 200 miles of every grocery store......they may have distribution centers but not manufacturing/bottling facilities. So the 200 miles might actually be closer to 500 miles for some.

But you didn't as "I am still under .0107 cents per can or 13 cents per 12 pack."
I put 200 miles in my calculation. I am sure most products do not travel that far like local farm goods or products made locally, maybe some do but for an average I thought that would be good. If someone has a more accurate number I will do the calcs but so far I am right on at 13 cents additional costs for a twelve pack of soda.
On top of all of those costs that were forgotten, I also don't think that Coca Cola and Pepsi have facilities within 200 miles of every grocery store......they may have distribution centers but not manufacturing/bottling facilities. So the 200 miles might actually be closer to 500 miles for some.
I would say for most, like 80 or 90% of grocery stores the dist centers are within 50 miles of a dist center. If you have the few like 10-20% that are over that, 200 miles is a good average.
Near LA where I grew up one dist center could supply thousands of stores all within that 50 mile radius. In more rural areas the grocery stores are few and far between meaning yes the trucks travel further but there are few stores needing those supplies.
Again, prove me wrong and I will gladly change my calc. But until that happens, I still say fuel is NOT the main contributor to inflationary food cost increases. it is "Inflation, labor costs and corporate greed are my guess. Not the fuel alone."

Last edited:
But you didn't as "I am still under .0107 cents per can or 13 cents per 12 pack."
I put 200 miles in my calculation. I am sure most products do not travel that far like local farm goods or products made locally, maybe some do but for an average I thought that would be good. If someone has a more accurate number I will do the calcs but so far I am right on at 13 cents additional costs for a twelve pack of soda.

I would say for most, like 80 or 90% of grocery stores the dist centers are within 50 miles of a dist center. If you have the few like 10-20% that are over that, 200 miles is a good average.
Near LA where I grew up one dist center could supply thousands of stores all within that 50 mile radius. In more rural areas the grocery stores are few and far between meaning yes the trucks travel further but there are few stores needing those supplies.
Again, prove me wrong and I will gladly change my calc. But until that happens, I still say fuel is NOT the main contributor to inflationary food cost increases. it is "Inflation, labor costs and corporate greed are my guess. Not the fuel alone."

Everything starts with energy, when energy goes up, cost on things go up, common knowledge. You conveniently blew over 98% of my post. When you get your facts straightened out and your costs, we might chat again. Till then, blanket math is just that.

This is the logic you laid out. "Pepsi's energy pricing wasn't effected and only tacks on the cost of fuel, but that math doesn't work out so I'm blaming price gouging". without having ALL the costs of doing business.

Distribution centers are not bottling centers. I have a distribution center in my local city but I believe the nearest bottling center is Chicago, which is about 500 miles away. It still needs to get from Chicago to the distribution center.

I'm not saying fuel costs are the sole factor in the rise of prices but they are a factor. When you consider that all of the ingredients costs go up, because they need to ship them too, it just costs more to make to begin with they need to charge more. So with rising fuel costs, inflation, minimum raise increases and a lot of other things, all prices go up in a hurry.

How'd that work out for ya. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

When I started driving I think I was paying $.65 a gallon.
You must be about same age as me here in NY.
It was the same price for me when I started driving. And its hard to forget about gasoline prices when you first start paying for gas as a new driver.:giggle:
Gas in my area is $3.27 to $3.35. Been dropping slowly for a week now. Holidays will be coming up soon, so I expect it to start going up. Too bad it doesn't go up as slow as it comes down.
Yeah that has always been the rule for years and years. Gas goes up around holidays, then drops right after.
However with Trump, Prices always stayed the same, if not going lower for the holidays. And that is simply good economics, considering the US was energy independant under Trump. Hence the economy was growing. Now we are screwed. Brandon and company did a 360, and by design. Self destructive and Not by accident. Lets all accept the truth.

Last edited:
Tractor trailer carriers on average do 1000-1500k mile runs each load. Some are split load deliveries. Remember that traveing back light or to the next distr. center also costs $$. Some are over 500-600 miles away. Tractors are always rolling to operate efficiently make money. Diesel is overpriced. Many hands in the pot. Not just Iran, Russia and Venezuela causing this.
Some will counter that it costs more to process being very clean "Greener" Diesel fuel compared to the rest of the world? IDK.

Last edited:
I get it and I am in no way defend those greedy oil company bastards but the cost increases we see across the board is not the fuel alone. it is much much more.
When you calculate the increase cost of gas the last few years for a whole semi full of food it is around a penny for each individual product on that truck.

Let's say a 18 wheeler is carrying 5000+ cans of soda (Alexa says 8000+ will fit on an 18 wheeler) and the truck travels 200 miles (Not sure about the miles but I am sure it is way over what a truck really travels from manufacturer to store) and the truck gets 22 MPG (Alexa says 18 wheeler's get 21-24 MPG) that is 9 gallons of fuel, or 27$ of additional cost in fuel for that truck over that time period.
27$ (additional fuel costs) / 5000 = .0054 cents per can or x 0.0648 cents for a 12 pack 1.5552 cents for a 24 pack of that soda.
I know there is more to this than what I am putting down here and I am using an Alexa for the numbers but I bet I am pretty close or way over

That comes to .0054 cents per can or 1.5 cents for a 24 pack of soda.
Prices have increased much more than that.
Inflation, labor costs and corporate greed are my guess. Not the fuel alone.
One problem with your math is you need to expand it further. The fuel is not the only cost factoring prices. Maintenance and insurance prices are not exactly going down. Time is money, the driver wants to get paid too. As does the company the driver works for(if not in house).
Sorry for the rant but as a self employed contractor, I'm tired of clients who question my prices when I factor all of the above into my quotes. I'm not volunteering my time to get and transport materials for your needs. I didn't invest $9k in a 3.5 ton dump trailer because I thought it made a cool lawn ornament.

One problem with your math is you need to expand it further. The fuel is not the only cost factoring prices. Maintenance and insurance prices are not exactly going down. Time is money, the driver wants to get paid too. As does the company the driver works for(if not in house).
Sorry for the rant but as a self employed contractor, I'm tired of clients who question my prices when I factor all of the above into my quotes. I'm not volunteering my time to get and transport materials for your needs. I didn't invest $9k in a 3.5 ton dump trailer because I thought it made a cool lawn ornament.
I used to PM trucks for Rollins in HS for a work credit. I totally forgot to equate that. Sheeit, 44 quarts of erl, pint of greeeeze on the 5th wheel isn’t free lol.

You must be about same age as me here in NY.
It was the same price for me when I started driving. And its hard to forget about gasoline prices when you first start paying for gas as a new driver.:giggle:

Yeah that has always been the rule for years and years. Gas goes up around holidays, then drops right after.
However with Trump, Prices always stayed the same, if not going lower for the holidays. And that is simply good economics, considering the US was energy independant under Trump. Hence the economy was growing. Now we are screwed. Brandon and company did a 360, and by design. Self destructive and Not by accident. Lets all accept the truth.
I'm 62 now . Started driving in 77-78. Long time ago. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Everything starts with energy, when energy goes up, cost on things go up, common knowledge. You conveniently blew over 98% of my post. When you get your facts straightened out and your costs, we might chat again. Till then, blanket math is just that.

This is the logic you laid out. "Pepsi's energy pricing wasn't effected and only tacks on the cost of fuel, but that math doesn't work out so I'm blaming price gouging". without having ALL the costs of doing business.
I never argued all the energy costs to produce a product. Please reread.
98% of your post? All you introduced was a correction of the mileage. I gladly recalculated and show that my calcs were still what I stated.
That is not my logic at all. Please reread.
Again I am only calculating transportation costs of most products you might buy in a grocery store.
Tractor trailer carriers on average do 1000-1500k mile runs each load. Some are split load deliveries. Remember that traveing back light or to the next distr. center also costs $$. Some are over 500-600 miles away. Tractors are always rolling to operate efficiently make money. Diesel is overpriced. Many hands in the pot. Not just Iran, Russia and Venezuela causing this.
Some will counter that it costs more to process being very clean "Greener" Diesel fuel compared to the rest of the world? IDK.
And some products in grocery stores are locally made, grown or produced so their numbers might be as low as 10 miles. Especially in dense urban areas where lots of stores are densely packed.
The key here is to find the average. I used 200 miles as an example. I get that some products are further than 200 but some in fact I would argue most are closer than 200. 200 was my number and I used it as an example.
So what is the average number of travel miles for all of the products you might find in a store? I don't know for sure. If anyone does know for sure, please enlighten us.

Again, at 200 miles each soda in my example are only a penny more in fuel costs now than they were 3 years ago. You still going to say fuel is the main reason for the increase in prices we have seen?
LOL.
Please reread.
You are stating exactly what I was stating.
"Inflation, labor costs and corporate greed are my guess. Not the fuel alone."
You actually quoted this from me. Did you not read it?

Last edited:
I never argued all the energy costs to produce a product. Please reread.
98% of your post? All you introduced was a correction of the mileage. I gladly recalculated and show that my calcs were still what I stated.
That is not my logic at all. Please reread.
Again I am only calculating transportation costs of most products you might buy in a grocery store.

And some products in grocery stores are locally made, grown or produced so their numbers might be as low as 10 miles. Especially in dense urban areas where lots of stores are densely packed.
The key here is to find the average. I used 200 miles as an example. I get that some products are further than 200 but some in fact I would argue most are closer than 200. 200 was my number and I used it as an example.
So what is the average number of travel miles for all of the products you might find in a store? I don't know for sure. If anyone does know for sure, please enlighten us.

Again, at 200 miles each soda in my example are only a penny more in fuel costs now than they were 3 years ago. You still going to say fuel is the main reason for the increase in prices we have seen?

LOL.
Please reread.
You are stating exactly what I was stating.
"Inflation, labor costs and corporate greed are my guess. Not the fuel alone."
You actually quoted this from me. Did you not read it?
I did. The speculation of oil prices is corporate greed. What happens today, tomorrow or might happen next week has nothing to do with the price of oil already bought and paid for or gas already refined and put in the pumps last week. Raising the price on this because the price of a barrel MAY go up, China bought more than estimated or some hurricane MIGHT disrupt supply lines is greed. The price should reflect what was paid along with a healthy profit. Speculation is no different than a company making a $50 million profit one year, $25 million the next year and writing it off by calling it a $25 million loss.
My point was money is spent to make money. The cost must be passed along or one starts operating at a loss and not in business much longer. That's not corporate greed, it's a business expense.
I wasn't calling you out. I was only pointing out that there are more factors raising the cost per can of coke.

Then the gosh darned unions gotta get their cut too so now we kick it up more lol

Outside of the gosh darned unions, every example of business expense I gave has been affected by rising oil prices.

Back