Kraton What is this sound? K6 Exb

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreatWhiteDope

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey all, im so curious as to what this sound could be, im fairly certain its the center diff.
Just last week i did my first full diff fluid swap in my kraton exb v2 and fireteam. They all went smoothly I think. Had to change some broken pieces nbd. Also changed fluids in k6 from 80/100/80 to
60/200/30 (didn’t like 30 in the rear so went to 60) also, from factory it has the min. effect lsd in the center that’s it.
Drives so good, front end doesn’t fly up, ass end doesn’t wobble. Anyways, my pinion mesh is good, as far as I know. 15T with all stock electronics and motor. Gear looks good no damage.
In the video about 2 seconds I full accelerate and that’s when you hear that crazy high wine sound? Also the pinion and spur sound loud af to so idk what’s going on.

It sounds like a 6s truck. Lots of things can change how a truck sounds, changes in gear mesh, changes in pinion size. When I changed from a stock motor mount to a Scorched parts my truck became louder and higher pitched.

I understand the question though. Sounds normal until the speed gets higher. I'd probably run the crap out of it until anything decides to become more obvious. That's what I'll do with my K6/Mojave hybrids's clicking somewhere in both front CVD area. Something will either wear in and stop that, or break. Bought the parts from Jennys RC. The CVD's were a bit rusty, but are supposed to be pulled from new RTR's 🤷. Oh well, "they're gonna get it now!"

as said above just run it and if it is a problem it will show its self. sure I had that same noise few years ago and couldn't figure it out. it turned out to be the esc in the end but it had a lot of run time on it

Sounds like the rear diff have some slack/play in them and it's deforming under the excess torque from you punching it -on pavement...

Bet you'll not hear that noise if you did the same acceleration on grass or dirt.

You may need to shim you diff(s).

It sounds like a 6s truck. Lots of things can change how a truck sounds, changes in gear mesh, changes in pinion size. When I changed from a stock motor mount to a Scorched parts my truck became louder and higher pitched.
Damn ok well that’s good to know, I did put in a M2C motor mount.

Sounds like the rear diff have some slack/play in them and it's deforming under the excess torque from you punching it -on pavement...

Bet you'll not hear that noise if you did the same acceleration on grass or dirt.

You may need to shim you diff(s).
You are correct sir, don’t hear it on grass only on pavement. I’ll open up that rear diff later today and take a look. I did shim everything when I changed the oil but I’ll go thru it again! Thanks

Sounds like something vibrating at high rpm to me. Are your tires well glued?
Yessir, I tried with 3 different sets of tires, backflips, trenchers and street fighters

Sounds like something loose, or an exploded bearing. There's definitely something wrong there. If you're still using an Arrma D bore pinion, the grub screw could be loose.
Hmm to me it sounds like something’s wrong to for sure but I’ve gone thru everything I can think of. And it runs so smooth just sounds ‘screamy’ and yeah it’s an arrma 15t pinion in there.

My guess is a bad bearing.

Time to do some bearing replacements! Sure as hell hope that’s actually what that sound is 👍

IMG_2559.jpeg

I get one at least once a week, but most weeks it’s 3 or 4 😂

Bearings are on my shopping list for next month 😎
Lmao feel that .. I get one atleast 3 times a week. It’s getting ridiculous.
I’ve only been at this hobby since mid January. So the maintenance and repairs on 2x 6s vehicles (K6 exb+ Fireteam) and a Bigrock 3s is insane. 🤷‍♂️

Same, I got back into about 6 months ago. I’ve literally had to put restrictions on what I spend because my family are having to go without 😂

Same, I got back into about 6 months ago. I’ve literally had to put restrictions on what I spend because my family are having to go without 😂
Hahahaha, we make money to spend money. And what’s better than spending money on something you love!
How I justify it anyways

Back