What did you work on today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oh man what I'd give to give that car a run on an auto-x track 😁
I had a 91 miata on coilovers and I had some falken 215's (that's the model not the size). That car was scary fast on a corner. The most literal definition of a car on rails.
[/QUOTE]
Awesome...I've always liked Mazdas. I bought a cherry red 2007 rx-8 off the showroom floor. 50/50 balanced. Rotary engine. What a great track car.

Oh man what I'd give to give that car a run on an auto-x track 😁
I had a 91 miata on coilovers and I had some falken 215's (that's the model not the size). That car was scary fast on a corner. The most literal definition of a car on rails.
Awesome...I've always liked Mazdas. I bought a cherry red 2007 rx-8 off the showroom floor. 50/50 balanced. Rotary engine. What a great track car.
[/QUOTE]

I used to be highly into the rx7's. 86 was my favorite. I've played in a few rx8's and they're pretty dreamy too..

Always wanted a rotory miata. Thought that would make 1 heck of a fun car to hit some twisties in!

I told wifey a few weeks ago I wanted a new miata when I seen it. It was white/ hard top..... ah man.....

I had the hard top for my 91 also... I can't do the rags personally but I get the appeal! I'd have to have a comp cage in order to feel safe in one 😆

I used to be highly into the rx7's. 86 was my favorite. I've played in a few rx8's and they're pretty dreamy too..

Always wanted a rotory miata. Thought that would make 1 heck of a fun car to hit some twisties in!

I told wifey a few weeks ago I wanted a new miata when I seen it. It was white/ hard top..... ah man.....

I had the hard top for my 91 also... I can't do the rags personally but I get the appeal! I'd have to have a comp cage in order to feel safe in one 😆
[/QUOTE]
Agreed. Rags are much harder to hear music or have a conv. At freeway speeds.

Well my older son's Granite has been broken and sitting around for a while now, he moved out about a year ago and he tore it down but never put it back together. While he's gone to basic training I'm gonna get it straightened out and maybe put some more upgrades on it.
5761186d-7f07-4ed4-a80b-d3f3e86de589.jpg

I was building a 2000 lb crankshaft. Crank is 4340 steel with a heat treat of minimum depth of .020", Rockwell minimum 57 up to 64. I set the cams to 0.0001" of centerline, Mag drilled to 39/64" then reamed to .0005 under and pinned with hardened 5/8 pins. Setting the cams is done on a ISO granite slab. Just a little bit of what I do every day, all day.

Only 24 days since the last fk up! 1000 ways to get killed here, got to have your head on a swivel.

20240426_103320.jpg

Last edited:
I was building a 2000 lb crankshaft. Crank is 4340 steel with a heat treat of minimum depth of .020", Rockwell minimum 57 up to 64. I set the cams to 0.0001" of centerline, Mag drilled to 39/64" then reamed to .0005 under and pinned with hardened 5/8 pins. Setting the cams is done on a ISO granite slab. Just a little bit of what I do every day, all day.

View attachment 363250
What is that crankshaft going in very nice work

What is that crankshaft going in very nice work
Thank you and yes most guys struggle to get +- 0.0005 for a thou total. These are for machines that punch cans, we call them body makers. Every can you pick up whether soda or beer, was made by us. If not, it was from Chinese copycat.

Last edited:
Very cool I do a little mill work just as a hobby
Imagine getting a 1 ton crank on a granite table gently enough on 100 lb V blocks so you can muscle the cams to 0.0001" while torquing the 5/8" bolts to 150 Ft Lbs. It moves, you compensate, it moves the other way... Grrr. Steel does what wants, even 1 ton of 4340.

Brother, if you have the equipment and can pull off the tolerances, go for it.!

Last edited:
Back