Typhon (SOLVED) Typhon 3s eating spur gears, rear diff very tight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavefromCA

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Typhon 3s
  3. Vendetta
I am stumped, been at this repair for weeks and cannot get this right. My Typhon is eating spur gears. The rear differential seems like it’s binding. I have replaced the differential, shimmed, loosened the yokes, and put grease on it and added fluid. I’ve researched old threads to no avail. When I put everything together, it seems much tighter than it should be. I tried to just run it like this, but sure enough the spur did not last long. I ready to just replace all the parts in the rear of the car.

Here are some videos:

This one is hard to tell, but the wheel is very tight and spinning it quickly seperates it from the other side

Here is a good video of the sound it’s making:

Where the hell do I go from here?

Last edited:
Could the wheels be binding on the hub somehow? Weird.

+1 on the overtightened diff yokes. Has happened to me on more than one occasion.

When you have the diff assembly out, do the spur and pinion gear spin smoothly together inside the yokes? If they do, and the problem happens when you install the diff and bolt on the shock tower, then you could start to isolate the issue that way. Usually for me that either means i have too many shims overall (and the yokes get compressed against the diff when installed in the chassis) or that the yoke screws are overtightened.

And if the gears don't spin smoothly when the diff assembly is out of the car, then your problem is internal to the assembly.

Check the bearings.
Already did they are 100%

I made sure the diff screws were loose, it’s not that but maybe I just need to get those yokes

Same car, same problem and same solution with the hot racing diff yolks....fixed mine.

Back