Granite Does anyone have any good tips on meshing my pinion and spur ive tried twice by watching videos but ive stripped 2 spur gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lando10

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
1000001753.jpg

You want as much engagement width wise as you can. Meaning the spur gear should have full coverage with the pinion. From the pic looks like it was a little short. As far as mesh on 32p and mod1 gearing I use 24# copy paper. Take a strip and feed it into the gearing. Force the two sides together and tighten up. Rotate the gears back so the paper comes back out. Over time you start to get a sense of the space between the gears. It should have a very very small amount of play in the mesh. I would also recommend setting the slipper correctly. If it's too tight you will strip gears and pop driveshafts.

From the looks of it yours was too loose.

You want as much engagement width wise as you can. Meaning the spur gear should have full coverage with the pinion. From the pic looks like it was a little short. As far as mesh on 32p and mod1 gearing I use 24# copy paper. Take a strip and feed it into the gearing. Force the two sides together and tighten up. Rotate the gears back so the paper comes back out. Over time you start to get a sense of the space between the gears. It should have a very very small amount of play in the mesh. I would also recommend setting the slipper correctly. If it's too tight you will strip gears and pop driveshafts.

Agree with above. Also it appears that pinion gear is shot and will continue to strip new spur gears.

OK thanks I just did the slipper but I'm going to redo it again to be safe and I've heard of that paper trick I just have not tried that yet but I will make sure to this time

Something weird is going on with that pinion gear🤷 .not sure if it's the angle of the pic but doesn't look right.i don't think it was a bad mesh that stripped your spur ,I think it's that pinion...also try to recognize the sound of a good mesh when you get it right . getting a mesh perfect isn't something your going to get right the first time or even the second.. you'll learn as you go .and it's something you just need to practice with . you'll eventually get the feel for it and recognize that sweet clicking sound .I don't know your driving style but many times the motor can get loose because of bashing hard like jumps and if the motor gets loose off the mount even by a little degree your pinion will strip the spur.

Last edited:
First things first: the quality of components plays a huge part in how long they last. That being said, buy a high-quality pinion from either RRP or Tekno. Arrma pinions should be donated to people you don’t like.

Second: Inspect the slipper. Replace components as necessary. Adjust correctly.

Make sure all threaded holes and applicable surfaces are healthy and free from FOD.

Assemble everything as it should be. Ensure everything works correctly.

There are a few videos that are helpful but many more which are misguiding. Some swear by the paper routine where a loose leaf (0.004 in.) is inserted between the spur and pinion to set the backlash, which is fine. Then there are others that set the backlash by ear whereas a “tic-tic” is better than a “toc-toc”.

Practice, practice, practice.

Before you attempt to mesh ,make sure motor is tight on the motor mount use lock tight .let it dry then make sure your slipper clutch isn't to tight where it's locked . My slippers I tighten it down and back off a half a turn. .I suggest buying a few stock spur gears so you can practice learning how to mesh correctly or what's comfortable for you

OK thanks I just did the slipper but I'm going to redo it again to be safe and I've heard of that paper trick I just have not tried that yet but I will make sure to this time
Also, you could check if the aluminum motor mount is bent. That would cause issues.

With the 3S line, bent motor mounts are often the most overlooked culprits. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I kept stripping gears in my BRCC, tried different spur gears, slipper clutch assemblies, pinions, etc...and nothing worked. Wasn't until I replaced the motor plate that I stopped stripping spur gears. After taking it out the old motor plate, you could clearly see it was bent.

Good eye, yeah almost certainly a bent motor plate.

Back