Upgrading Typhon Mega Front shocks w/ Yeah Racing TR-XB 100mm Shocks - Advice/Help please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MZA-4x4

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
  2. Typhon 3s
  3. Typhon TLR
  4. Typhon Mega
Hello All,

I just recently purchased some YR TR-XB 100mm Shocks (the specific product code is TRSL-017RD for these red ones). I removed my old stock shocks (which measured 100mm ctc) and installed these (I used the old oil, because I didn't have any and wanted check look/fit/etc. After installing, it seems that these compress/depress very easily/fast. I don't think it's necessarily the oil, but I think that the PISTON has too many/too large of holes in it (check out pic below).

The new shocks have a 10mm piston, and the originals have an 11mm, so I can't just swap them unfortunately. Anyone have any ideas or know where to find 10mm replacement pistons that might work for these?

Installed Shocks pic.jpeg
Piston Diameter Measurement.jpeg

Here's how the new shocks looks with the "washer" from old shocks and the old springs installed (installed on top only, need one for the bottom).

Anyone have 2 of these washers (step-up??) laying around? I could use 2-4 extras and I don't know where to find them.

old ARRMA Shock Washer or step up.jpeg

old ARRMA Shock Washer or step up on new shock full.jpeg

Last edited:
You just got to get shock oil dude. No way around it.
That is paramount in the first place, setting these up.
There is just no way you filled these shocks up correctly if you don't have at least a bottle of fresh oil on hand.. Is what it is.
You got upgrade shocks with no YR parts support for them?
You need to learn about shocks and tuning them. You just first need thicker oil than what was stock. Try 50-60w? Find out what stock oil was. Go thicker to compensate for the YR larger holed pistons.
When it comes to shocks, You can't just wing it.(n) Better Attention to detail matters. You invested in the shocks. Get Oil!!!
Your problems there are specifically because of this.

Good luck.:cool:
Get back.

You just got to get shock oil dude. No way around it.
That is paramount in the first place, setting these up.
There is just no way you filled these shocks up correctly if you don't have at least a bottle of fresh oil on hand.. Is what it is.
You got upgrade shocks with no YR parts support for them?
You need to learn about shocks and tuning them. You just first need thicker oil than what was stock. Try 50-60w? Find out what stock oil was. Go thicker to compensate for the YR larger holed pistons.
When it comes to shocks, You can't just wing it.(n) Better Attention to detail matters. You invested in the shocks. Get Oil!!!
Your problems there are specifically because of this.

Good luck.:cool:
Get back.

OK, fair enough. I'll get some oil and try and set it up right before I assume there's a problem. I just felt like there almost wasn't even a piston in there when the shocks compress with the stock oil (filled up to about 1-2mm below the rim, so I figured the piston needed less/smaller holes ...and possibly stronger springs).

Last edited:
Stronger shock in what way?
You have a damping problem. Larger holes with the new shock pistons. Just get Thicker oil. Know what to buy, by finding out what the stock oil in the stock shock was. Getting the same weight or even thinner will never work and not solve your problem. Maybe even 80 weight is best. A start. Much is trial and error. Needing several bottles of oil to try out. I have dozens of bottles of diff and shock oil on hand. But what works for some won't always work for you. Have to see what works for you.
Many use the Arrma 6s shocks instead. Parts are available with different pistons and springs as well.
Many threads here in regards to this.
Using the old oil was too thin, and there is no way you had enough remaining to fill the new shocks. And I would want fresh, clean oil in my new shocks.
Look up videos regarding filling/ bleeding out oil and tuning shocks. Make sure they don't leak oil once finished!
Best of luck.

Last edited:
Stronger shock in what way?
You have a damping problem. Larger holes with the new shock pistons. Just get Thicker oil. Know what to buy, by finding out what the stock oil in the stock shock was. Getting the same weight or even thinner will never work and not solve your problem. Maybe even 80 weight is best. A start. Much is trial and error. Needing several bottles of oil to try out. I have dozens of bottles of diff and shock oil on hand. But what works for some won't always work for you. Have to see what works for you.
Many use the Arrma 6s shocks instead. Parts are available with different pistons and springs as well.
Many threads here in regards to this.
Using the old oil was too thin, and there is no way you had enough remaining to fill the new shocks. And I would want fresh, clean oil in my new shocks.
Look up videos regarding filling/ bleeding out oil and tuning shocks. Make sure they don't leak oil once finished!
Best of luck.

Sorry, I meant stronger/firmer springs (I corrected that in my last post in red)

Last edited:
OK, I got some shock oil, 1-day delivery! Now it's time to do this and see how good these shocks really are.

TLR 70wt Shock Oil.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back