Typhon or Baja

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the driving style you're looking for. The BR 2.0 will handle like a scale desert truck, traction roll included, while the Typhon will handle like a guided missile on rails comparatively. Also, I wouldn't suggest you base your decision on "rumors", as NOBODY knows when new releases will drop. There's a new rumor about once a month pertaining to a new rig from Arrma.

Even if there is a new version of the typhon released, they tend to be very minor changes and you can easily get parts from Jenny's rc or other sources for the few parts they change.

If you don't run where there bigger rocks and high grass then the Typhon is a dang rocket and cheaper to maintain in the long run over the Losi brand.

You couldn't find two more different RTRs.

One specializes in off-road handling with precision and speed while the other is a scale replica of a trophy truck to do scale things (think of it like a crawler for off-road).

One is 6S and tuned very well out of the box. The other is tuned to do one thing only: look scale while you drive it (traction roll included).

One you can build up to do stunts and take some beating. The other will break if you try to make it do something it was never intended to do.

Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of desert racing of all kinds and have a decent number of them, but I would never compare a basher to a scaled desert racer.

You couldn't find two more different RTRs.

One specializes in off-road handling with precision and speed while the other is a scale replica of a trophy truck to do scale things (think of it like a crawler for off-road).

One is 6S and tuned very well out of the box. The other is tuned to do one thing only: look scale while you drive it (traction roll included).

One you can build up to do stunts and take some beating. The other will break if you try to make it do something it was never intended to do.

Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of desert racing of all kinds and have a decent number of them, but I would never compare a basher to a scaled desert racer.
Can the Typhon handle the same terrain as the Baja Rey?

Can the Typhon handle the same terrain as the Baja Rey?
Yes, but probably not the whoops if you have that kind of thing in your area.

You don't buy desert racers to be the best performing. You buy them because you want a realistic experience.

Yes, but probably not the whoops if you have that kind of thing in your area.

You don't buy desert racers to be the best performing. You buy them because you want a realistic experience.
I plan to drive in flat terrain with occasional elevations; it would be my first RC

I plan to drive in flat terrain with occasional elevations; it would be my first RC
I would get the Typhon and learn about how everything works. Learn the mechanics of it, the maintenance, etc. Get the bashing aggression out of your system before you go to any scale replica RCs because those will require a bit more experience on driving it correctly and maintenance.

Also, get the regular Typhon over the TLR as your first RC car. The regular Typhon will survive more bashing sessions (I have both so ask me how I know this). The TLR pins adjustment system tend to bend the hingepins on impact and break the pins with it. It's meant to be a weekend track car out of the box and a force to be reckoned with with some work for real racing.

The Baja Rey is a one trick pony scale looking SCT.

The typhon has more flexibility in terms of speed runs, bashing stunts, short course as a first hobby RC. You can get acquainted with it on 4S to understand control.

Depends on what your intentions are with the rig. I would not expect the TLR to get any revision updates so I concur with getting a v5 RTR instead.

Mine is a Mojave-hybrid, but you aren't having this much fun with a small SCT.

Last edited:
Back