Typhon Typhon 6s Melting Motor Barrel Connections

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Typhonrunner

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Alright I've got a Typhon 6s v5 that is alittle over a year old. I run it on a dirt track 90% of the time.
I keep melting through the solder connectors on the motor it has happened 3 times now on different connectors.

Some details on the car
Running 2 3s 5200 100c batteries
Stock pinion and spur
Bearings are all fresh on the most recent occurrence
Front diff 7k
Center diff 10k
Rear diff 5k
It's a fairly recent issue I'll run through half a battery pack and it'll just stop I'll go to pick it up and it feels like everything is 1000 degrees and the barrel connection is unsoldered on one side

Previous to the first time this happened I don't remember the car running that hot. Any idea on what's going on?

you need to put high speed fans on the motor. take the motor of and see if the car rolls easy maybe change the motor bearings. put a high speed fan in the esc. solder a new connector on the motor. its summer now so be more careful with your throttle finger :)

you need to put high speed fans on the motor. take the motor of and see if the car rolls easy maybe change the motor bearings. put a high speed fan in the esc. solder a new connector on the motor. its summer now so be more careful with your throttle finger :)
It's been through way hotter days like 98° today it was 80°. I typically run two battery packs back to back without issue. So something is weird somewhere.
She rolls just fine without a motor. Checked that while I was rebuilding diffs for this season

What do you recommend cleaning it out with because right before this run I actually had most of the car apart replacing bearings, diff fluids, and shock fluids for the season and I did pull the motor apart because it had happened on a previous run. I pulled the rotor and wiped the inside with a towel and took an air compressor to it.

It's been through way hotter days like 98° today it was 80°. I typically run two battery packs back to back without issue. So something is weird somewhere.
She rolls just fine without a motor. Checked that while I was rebuilding diffs for this season
if the car runs smooth and the bearings have all been changed try all your connections lipos as well if all these things are fine only other thing it could be is your esc on its way out 😐

What is the condition of the battery wire at the point of the esc. Are either the positive or negative ready to rip out of the esc. Meaning some of the wire stands are cut. This will cause the ec5 connector to get really hot and motor wires. Happened to me on my max8 esc.

What do you recommend cleaning it out with because right before this run I actually had most of the car apart replacing bearings, diff fluids, and shock fluids for the season and I did pull the motor apart because it had happened on a previous run. I pulled the rotor and wiped the inside with a towel and took an air compressor to it.
Welcome!

I use CRC Electric cleaner, which can be purchased at AutoZone, WalMart, etc., to clean the inside of the motor.

I am running close to your setup with the Arrma 2050kv motor on my TLR. My best friend has the Typhon 6S v5, and he is not kind with his. He has not had your issue.

- Check more for any binding other bearings.
- Better fan can help over the stock, pic of what I did below
- Use a heat gun to check the temps both the motor and ESC
- Follow the advice posted above

1716242961357.png

Try a diff brand solder or bring it to your local shop and have them do it. take a pic of the connections and we can tell you exactly if its got a good connection.

Here's some pictures. Arrma had already replaced the motor for free on the first time so I fixed the connection and have had the new one on the shelf guess I'm gonna throw it in and monitor temps

Only things I see frayed or ruined is compassitor pack or whatever that is. And whatever that extra connection on the ecs was for that got ripped off but that's been off for awhile
1000012135.jpg
1000012136.jpg
1000012137.jpg
1000012140.jpg
1000012139.jpg

Back