Trouble with xlx2 power wire terminal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm salty they're charging me 100$ to fix my mm2 that had caps burst and stopped working when the wifey was under 5 mins into a pack. Not only that but they took like 5 weeks with zero communication just to tell me that.

Literally geared for like 75 mph and motor temp never over 100f when it happened lol. Seem like all these companies are full of poop when it comes to warranties. Except Horizon, they actually rock.

Last edited:
I'm salty they're charging me 100$ to fix my mm2 that had caps burst and stopped working when the wifey was under 5 mins into a pack. Not only that but they took like 5 weeks with zero communication just to tell me that.

Literally geared for like 75 mph and motor temp never over 100f when it happened lol. Seem like all these companies are full of poop when it comes to warranties. Except Horizon, they actually rock.
HORIZON HOBBY IS AMAZZZZING!!!! I love their products and they have an extraordinary 2 yr warranty and great customer support!! They don’t criticize their consumers when they call warranty on any parts. If it’s covered., then it’s covered. Nothing just brakes all by itself or dies for absolutely no reason., things happen and that’s what warranty is for unless there’s significant proof that damage was inflicted directly to the product or if the rc vehicle/product was used for purposes outside of what it was intended for.

i have seen the post pulled off by a bullet connector as it was still connected to the lipo. I run castle 8mm bullets. crashes into 150-160mph alot of things happen fast.
Correct yes I agree.. 100+mph I don’t think anything matters at that point. Motors turn inside out at that point lol, R.I.P Jon Lewis’s orange infraction GT build🫡 but my situation was not a crash.. my data logs from that run will show it. I was able to pull the logs and I’m glad bcs their techs will be able to see how it was driven especially at the end of the log where the power was cut off it was only at 49% power and 10k rpm temps 123°F.

That sucks man, CC does leave a bit to be desired when it comes to warranty claims.

I'm a bit lucky on that front living in the EU as regulations give consumers a 2-year warranty on all consumer electronics. I sent my MMX8S in to Castle myself because I was being honest and felt like it may have been my own fault that it kicked the bucket. When one of my XLX2s stopped reacting I sent it back to the hobby shop I bought it from to send it back to Castle. This basically puts the onus on the hobby shop to demonstrate that I abused it and not what Castle thinks. I also have the suspicion that the hobby shops may have slightly more favorable return policies than your average Joey Bag-o-Donuts.

Yes, it took two months to get the ESC back, but it didn't cost me a dime except for the $5 to send it to the hobby shop (which I could have had refunded as well but I wasn't in the mood to count beans). While I was waiting for that one to come back I purchased another XLX2 because I knew it would take a while (this was during the same time I had sent my MMX8S in). So between the one I had bought to tide me over, the one I eventually got back from the hobby shop and the one that Castle mistakenly sent me back in place of the MMX8S, I'm now the owner of three XLX2s with two still NIB.

I'm not a big fan of regulating industries to death, but every once in a while they do go in the consumer's favor. However this does also result in products like the CC 1721 motor not being sold in the EU because you can't sell products without warranties. Which, now that I think about it, makes me curious about the SMC-SRDs I can buy in the Netherlands. SRDs come without guarantee according to SMC. EU laws will have to go ahead and sort of disagree with them there :LOL:
awkward office space GIF

Last edited:
That sucks man, CC does leave a bit to be desired when it comes to warranty claims.

I'm a bit lucky on that front living in the EU as regulations give consumers a 2-year warranty on all consumer electronics. I sent my MMX8S in to Castle myself because I was being honest and felt like it may have been my own fault that it kicked the bucket. When one of my XLX2s stopped reacting I sent it back to the hobby shop I bought it from to send it back to Castle. This basically puts the onus on the hobby shop to demonstrate that I abused it and not what Castle thinks. I also have the suspicion that the hobby shops may have slightly more favorable return policies than your average Joey Bag-o-Donuts.

Yes, it took two months to get the ESC back, but it didn't cost me a dime except for the $5 to send it to the hobby shop (which I could have had refunded as well but I wasn't in the mood to count beans). While I was waiting for that one to come back I purchased another XLX2 because I knew it would take a while (this was during the same time I had sent my MMX8S in). So between the one I had bought to tide me over, the one I eventually got back from the hobby shop and the one that Castle mistakenly sent me back in place of the MMX8S, I'm now the owner of three XLX2s with two still NIB.

I'm not a big fan of regulating industries to death, but every once in a while they do go in the consumer's favor. However this does also result in products like the CC 1721 motor not being sold in the EU because you can't sell products without warranties. Which, now that I think about it, makes me curious about the SMC-SRDs I can buy in the Netherlands. SRDs come without guarantee according to SMC. EU laws will have to go ahead and sort of disagree with them there :LOL:
awkward office space GIF
That same shop is now also selling the 1721 >> wetronic

EU Consumer law is something that still has many grey area's. I've dealt with it from a manufacterer perspective myself. In the end it only applies to reseller and consumer. Reseller and manufacturer have a contract on there own terms. It's the reseller taking the risk of non-compliency. Grey area as well is that it's a component, not a full assembly. This makes it much easier to throw in the no warranty for abuse argument.
In the product specification it's also covered that it's extreme nature and intended application makes warranty impossible, making the customer aware before buying. (so no false marketing argument)

Same shop is also opening a new super duper experience center. They are crowdfunding it now

EU Consumer law is something that still has many grey area's. I've dealt with it from a manufacterer perspective myself. In the end it only applies to reseller and consumer. Reseller and manufacturer have a contract on there own terms. It's the reseller taking the risk of non-compliency. Grey area as well is that it's a component, not a full assembly. This makes it much easier to throw in the no warranty for abuse argument.
In the product specification it's also covered that it's extreme nature and intended application makes warranty impossible, making the customer aware before buying. (so no false marketing argument)

Same shop is also opening a new super duper experience center. They are crowdfunding it now
Yeah, I know it isn't a catch all, but it has served me fairly well up to this point.

That's a fair price for the 1721. Maybe that's where I'll buy my 2nd one 🤪

awkward office space GIF
Lucky on that upgrade 💪…. Pray for me lol🙏.., I’m putting together a well composed letter to CC with all the legalities of consumer warranty rights. If I don’t get cooperation I’ll have to amplify the situation on my channel. So…. If enough people have had the power terminal dislodged from their esc circuit board or any damage to it, then it’s a common problem. A common problem is recognized as a defect. The two types of product defects are (manufacturing) defect which is accidentally accruing and the second type of defect is design defect which is in my eyes the xlx2’s design flaw as I mentioned is the reason the posts/terminals are so vulnerable to damage because the ESC’s outer/removable casing does NOT provide any support to secure the posts/terminals from disturbing or compromising the solder joint to the circuitry. They are very exposed and are a half inch tall which is LOTS of leverage to be tugged by the weight of the wires and QS8 plugs during off road use. I have a screen shot of what “bashing” defines.. 👉🏼

In the RC world, bashing is racing without
rules or regulations. It is just driving and
testing the limits of your RC car or truck.
Bashing includes making high jumps and
not worrying too much about the landing
Oct 5, 2017
Best of luck to you!! I hope it works out. I'd recommend putting standard gearing in your warranty claim, to head off the possibility of claims of other forms of abuse such as over gearing, etc.. I'm not sure if that's really relevant in this case but...just a thought.
My data logs from that run is in my esc, there’s still 20 minutes of logging space left in it so you know what it was from that last run. The logs are very mild, they’ll see… gearing is low., using the larger spur and a 30T pinion 1100kv combo

Lucky on that upgrade 💪…. Pray for me lol🙏.., I’m putting together a well composed letter to CC with all the legalities of consumer warranty rights. If I don’t get cooperation I’ll have to amplify the situation on my channel. So…. If enough people have had the power terminal dislodged from their esc circuit board or any damage to it, then it’s a common problem. A common problem is recognized as a defect. The two types of product defects are (manufacturing) defect which is accidentally accruing and the second type of defect is design defect which is in my eyes the xlx2’s design flaw as I mentioned is the reason the posts/terminals are so vulnerable to damage because the ESC’s outer/removable casing does NOT provide any support to secure the posts/terminals from disturbing or compromising the solder joint to the circuitry. They are very exposed and are a half inch tall which is LOTS of leverage to be tugged by the weight of the wires and QS8 plugs during off road use. I have a screen shot of what “bashing” defines.. 👉🏼

In the RC world, bashing is racing without
rules or regulations. It is just driving and
testing the limits of your RC car or truck.
Bashing includes making high jumps and
not worrying too much about the landing
Oct 5, 2017

My data logs from that run is in my esc, there’s still 20 minutes of logging space left in it so you know what it was from that last run. The logs are very mild, they’ll see… gearing is low., using the larger spur and a 30T pinion 1100kv combo
Best of luck!! I deleted the logs on the XLX2 I sent in. I try to minimize the amount of ammunition I'm giving the adversarial side that they could potentially turn around and use against me but...YMMV(y)

There are two main types of product warranty, express warranty and implied warranty. The manufacture will provide the express warranty with the details they provide within their warranty description. The second party seller can only provide a 30 day warranty along the lines of the return policy but it does not merge with the manufacturers express warranty.

There are two main types of product warranty, express warranty and implied warranty. The manufacture will provide the express warranty with the details they provide within their warranty description. The second party seller can only provide a 30 day warranty along the lines of the return policy but it does not merge with the manufacturers express warranty.
That may be the case in the US, Germany's laws are clearly different on that front. Irrespective of the manufacturer's guarantee/warranty the re-seller must provide a 2-year warranty on all consumer electronics. That's a consumer protection law and non-negotiable.

Best of luck!! I deleted the logs on the XLX2 I sent in. I try to minimize the amount of ammunition I'm giving the adversarial side that they could potentially turn around and use against me but...YMMV(y)
lol yea.., However my logs from that run still had 20 minutes remaining when it ended so you know those were the logs from that same incident. All the numbers the temps RPMs everything is very low they’ll be able to see that.

This looks really useful for anyone who has similar problems and no warranty.

So guys remember I said Castle DID replace my XLX2 under warranty after discussing everything I knew.. well here’s the replacement with a whole new warranty so I just wanted to share the soldering video. Two of my subbies asked about the QS8 connectors so I promise them a video.
😎🫵🪨

So guys remember I said Castle DID replace my XLX2 under warranty after discussing everything I knew.. well here’s the replacement with a whole new warranty so I just wanted to share the soldering video. Two of my subbies asked about the QS8 connectors so I promise them a video.
😎🫵🪨
You will always forget to feed at least one cable in a connector endcap ;)

What do y'all think of using jb weld as a preventative measure for this XLX2 weakness?

(Not my pic)

1685881311244.png

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back