Switch to Castle from Spectrum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncnative

Reaction score
Being a one year novice into the hobby, how easy would it be to upgrade from the stock Spectrum motor/esc to a Castle Mamba or Copperhead set up of the same? Would it match up with the Spectrum radio/receiver or could there be problems? I've never had to bind or calibrate anything yet so I don't know what I'm doing quite yet. For what it's worth, I got a Losi buggy but a lot of stuff is very similar so don't look down on me. I've yet to find a decent Losi forum that is up to date. Thanks in advance.

Being a one year novice into the hobby, how easy would it be to upgrade from the stock Spectrum motor/esc to a Castle Mamba or Copperhead set up of the same? Would it match up with the Spectrum radio/receiver or could there be problems? I've never had to bind or calibrate anything yet so I don't know what I'm doing quite yet. For what it's worth, I got a Losi buggy but a lot of stuff is very similar so don't look down on me. I've yet to find a decent Losi forum that is up to date. Thanks in advance.
I love castle and have it in 5 of my rigs👍

There should be no issues with your rx/tx

Castle does not use amp ratings like other manufacturers so pay close attention on there web site to the weight limit for the set up you get

Also I would suggest in getting the BT castlelink module for 50$ you get a lot of tuning options especially since you are going to run a RTR radio set up

And make shur you have a decent soldering iron for the battery plug

I love castle and have it in 5 of my rigs👍

There should be no issues with your rx/tx

Castle does not use amp ratings like other manufacturers so pay close attention on there web site to the weight limit for the set up you get

Also I would suggest in getting the BT castlelink module for 50$ you get a lot of tuning options especially since you are going to run a RTR radio set up

And make shur you have a decent soldering iron for the battery plug
Good idea, saw the tuning module on their web site. They will work also? I would like that, the Spectrum esc is adjusted by pressing a button, watching leds and listening for a chirp count. Easy to get confused. That's the only thing I've tried to adjust but I was watching a video for help.

I've never run Castle myself but like any modern brand of electronics I would assume it has a simple procedure for calibrating to your radio system. Hopefully it comes with a manual, If not I'm sure there is probably a handful of youtube videos explaining how to calibrate. One of these days I'll save up the money for a Castle system too.

Also, I gotta repeat what MAVERICK@2 said about soldering. Make sure you have a decent soldering iron up to par with the gauge of wire and plugs you are using.

Good idea, saw the tuning module on their web site. They will work also? I would like that, the Spectrum esc is adjusted by pressing a button, watching leds and listening for a chirp count. Easy to get confused. That's the only thing I've tried to adjust but I was watching a video for help.
It works
when I am doing my tuning for the first couple runs I keep the model in the receiver box (it’s that small) and make the changes with an app on my phone. Then once I have the rig as I like it unhook it and throw it in my tool box. And it will work on all there modern ESC’s

Typically you get a coupon in the box with your castle esc for a free castle link, so you can change settings via your computer.
The B-link is great too!

There will be no problem switching from Spektrum to Castle ESC and motor. Transmitter binds to the reciever, not the ESC. ESC plugs into the reciever the same as Spektrum. But, as stated, you will need the BT module to program the Castle ESC to your liking.

As others stated go for it!, ditched my blx/spectrum set up for a mamba in my senton. Also grabbed the B link for tuning Don’t regret it one bit👍🏼 Was able to tuck everything back inside receiver box as well.

75A3EAC7-B179-4E9A-B351-A023F32EF3C0.jpeg

042D90D3-A741-41C5-A081-BCE3629E8FB4.jpeg

As others stated go for it!, ditched my blx/spectrum set up for a mamba in my senton. Also grabbed the B link for tuning Don’t regret it one bit👍🏼 Was able to tuck everything back inside receiver box as well.

View attachment 170516

View attachment 170517
Thanks for the pictures. I guess what all are saying is that I would be safe to switch to Castle and purchase the best I could afford. There are systems that retail in $200-$230 range that should handle my Losi DB Tenacity weight wise it appears. I'm not a good enough driver to jack those esc's up to peak performance and mostly I like drive my buggy in smaller dirt areas in my neighborhood where speed is not a big priority

Thanks for the pictures. I guess what all are saying is that I would be safe to switch to Castle and purchase the best I could afford. There are systems that retail in $200-$230 range that should handle my Losi DB Tenacity weight wise it appears. I'm not a good enough driver to jack those esc's up to peak performance and mostly I like drive my buggy in smaller dirt areas in my neighborhood where speed is not a big priority
No problem, I like the tenacity’s!, Definitely will find a castle combo for that range and possibly under $200 if you go copper head. They have a 3200kv would probably pair nicely, keep in mind those are sensored systems too.

There will be no problem switching from Spektrum to Castle ESC and motor. Transmitter binds to the reciever, not the ESC. ESC plugs into the reciever the same as Spektrum. But, as stated, you will need the BT module to program the Castle ESC to your liking.
Also, don't want to forget to calibrate the ESC so it knows the limits of the throttle and brake range of the transmitter.

I have the Limited Edition Copperhead SCT ESC with Castle 1412 3200kv motor in a Redcat Wendigo rock racer, and I absolutely love the system. Not only does it have a great top end, it can now crawl well, something it couldn't do before I put in the sensored Copperhead system.

No problem, I like the tenacity’s!, Definitely will find a castle combo for that range and possibly under $200 if you go copper head. They have a 3200kv would probably pair nicely, keep in mind those are sensored systems too.
That's a major reason I've looked at Castle to get a sensored system. Am I correct to say that there is an additional plug in sensor wire going from the motor to the esc? It shows a wire in the photos. Thanks for the information
I have the Limited Edition Copperhead SCT ESC with Castle 1412 3200kv motor in a Redcat Wendigo rock racer, and I absolutely love the system. Not only does it have a great top end, it can now crawl well, something it couldn't do before I put in the sensored Copperhead system.
Just found out today that most of the Castle systems come with 1/8 inch motor shafts. All my pinions are 5mm. They do have a couple 5mm shaft systems so I'd be limited in choice. The next alternative would be to get one of the 1/8 to 5mm pinion shaft adapters and I don't know how good those things are. I'm stuck with Mod 1 for the gear pitch as finding a suitable substitute for the Losi spur gear is basically impossible.....I don't think they exist. I'll keep looking though

Spektrum also makes a hand held Programmer for the Firma series. FWIW. Instead of using the Set Button.
CC is in a different league altogether.(y) The better stuff.

That's a major reason I've looked at Castle to get a sensored system. Am I correct to say that there is an additional plug in sensor wire going from the motor to the esc? It shows a wire in the photos. Thanks for the information

Just found out today that most of the Castle systems come with 1/8 inch motor shafts. All my pinions are 5mm. They do have a couple 5mm shaft systems so I'd be limited in choice. The next alternative would be to get one of the 1/8 to 5mm pinion shaft adapters and I don't know how good those things are. I'm stuck with Mod 1 for the gear pitch as finding a suitable substitute for the Losi spur gear is basically impossible.....I don't think they exist. I'll keep looking though
Yes it does have the extra wire,

I had the same issue regarding pinion gears arrma stock is 5mm I went castle 4600 1/8 bought new pinions than dropped to a 3800kv where im at now but back to 5mm lol. I believe they make a 2400kv 5mm which I’d say would be your best bet, suitable for 3-4s and right around 100$

Yes it does have the extra wire,

I had the same issue regarding pinion gears arrma stock is 5mm I went castle 4600 1/8 bought new pinions than dropped to a 3800kv where im at now but back to 5mm lol. I believe they make a 2400kv 5mm which I’d say would be your best bet, suitable for 3-4s and right around 100$
Old thread so I hope someone sees this. I already have the Bluetooth link thing. Castle says they will send me one of their other programming devices.o was wondering which would be the best to get, the one that hooks tona computer or the portable handheld one. Thank you of anyone sees this.

I have both the castle link and the pc based programmer the 1 thing that is nice about the BT castle link is it can stay in the receiver box and you can make changes on the fly with your phone

This was nice for fine tuning my comp rock crawlers

Back