Street tires, 100mm vs 107mm handling differences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Converting my XL Talion to a street rig and looking at tire options, GRP's are an obvious option and are 42/100mm. For going a little bigger, the Hoons have a 53/107mm size and Method sells the Velociters in 54/106mm for taller/wider, and also a 54/100 option for wider but not taller. How much of a difference in handling would it be with larger tires? I'll run it with GRP's first since I already have them, but only have one spare set of XM5 compound so I know they won't last long. Do the larger tires drift better or worse? Also, durability, they cost more but does the larger size equate to noticeably longer tire life? My first thought is yes they would last longer because its more material, but not sure so figured I'd ask.

The diameter can make a difference in final speed but not a big difference in handling when talking about just a few mm.
The rubber itself makes the biggest difference. Hoons are best for drifting and don't last well. Most report they like the grip and the longevity of GRPs much better.

Hoons are the junky tires RTRs come with that you upgrade later. I consistently have seen people say they really like GRPs best compared to any other option out there.

Last edited:
Converting my XL Talion to a street rig and looking at tire options, GRP's are an obvious option and are 42/100mm. For going a little bigger, the Hoons have a 53/107mm size and Method sells the Velociters in 54/106mm for taller/wider, and also a 54/100 option for wider but not taller. How much of a difference in handling would it be with larger tires? I'll run it with GRP's first since I already have them, but only have one spare set of XM5 compound so I know they won't last long. Do the larger tires drift better or worse? Also, durability, they cost more but does the larger size equate to noticeably longer tire life? My first thought is yes they would last longer because its more material, but not sure so figured I'd ask.
I can't comment on GRP/100mm hoon vs 107mm hoon, but I have driven my 4s SCT410.3 as a street truck with 107mm hoons for probably 10 to 20 packs and tires are about half gone. So with lighter vehicles, they can last a while. Knowing what I know now, I think i would have preferred the smaller, skinnier hoons (or GRPs). Not that the 107mm hoons are "grippy", but the larger surface area just makes the car drive less pleasurable to drive. Almost like it skipped across the ground rather than slid. So I really had to commit to slides, etc. Running on some duratrax 17mm banditos (granted they are a bit more grippy) i like the feel of it alot more, just feels more natural and balanced. Idk, it's hard to explain.

For an XL talion, it might weigh enough to have a better "feel" when driving. But just based on cost alone, it'd be hard to recommend the 107mm hoons when XM7s would be so much better. for grip and life.

Also consider power hobby grippers.they make the same size as the hoons and they are also belted.i prefer them over hoons all day .on my infraction 8s I use wide in the rear and thin in the front.i notice more stability with wide in the rear when drag racing.for speed passes I like my GRP.S5 and also use S7 ..I'm not really a drifter but at times I do like to street bash a tad bit just messing around and to me I feel wide in front and rear gives me better slides than thin tires 🤷

IMG_20231122_193603968.jpg

IMG_20231123_184800956.jpg

Also consider Vipaz. I am anticipating receiving mine, mounting and running them.

For handling/stability, also consider some Hex's with 5/10mm offset

I like the GRP's on my Typhon and Slashpede a lot, just never tried the others and didn't know if there would be any advantage. Seems like GRPs are hard to beat. That said I'm surprised there aren't more brands making tires in that size range.

Back