spektrum S150 charge fault

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warden60

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hello all, new to the game here. I bought a bundle with the spektrum S150 smart charger and a 3s 5000mAh 50c. After initial charge I haven't been able to charge the battery. The charger goes into charge fault every time. I have a second identical battery that I ordered so I would have 2, that is doing the same thing. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Thanks for the help. BTW they go in a granite 4x4 blx

What is the fault? Picture?
What are the cell voltages i.e. do you have a lipo checker?

Either something is wrong with your wiring or maybe you discharged them below safety limits?

Picture of your setup might help.

Every light flashes and it continually beeps very loud which the manual describes as a charge fault. No i don't have a lipo checker.

Attachments

• 20200622_215336.jpg
    20200622_215336.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 376
Can't tell from your descriptions.
I assume you are plugging in the main leads as well as the balance leads.

You charged them once and then what did you do? How long did you run? Until your cars stopped i.e. completely drained the batteries or ?

Both batteries took full charge initially. this morning we ran #1 battery down until the truck started to slow down. It took a full charge again. During the day my son ran battery #2 down to dead. I put #2 on charge this afternoon. We were headed to the park a while later to run and my son pulled #2 off the charger while it was at 3 out of 4 green bars. We ran #1 at the park until the truck slowed down. So #1 is just about dead and #2 has 3/4 life in it and both give the charger the "charge fault". I tried to attach a short clip of it but it won't let me.

You have to post videos to youtube and link them in here.

Might just be a bad charger. Sounds like the batteries or at least one of them is still fully ok. With both failing its either a connection issue or the charger is going bad. Doublecheck against the manual how to connect the battery.

So the # 2 battery that had 3/4 life left started charging without any issues. So random. I don't get it lol. Thank you jk for the help. What can i do if my #1 battery got discharged too much?

Get a cheap lipo checker like this,
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Volt...1&keywords=lipo+checker&qid=1592886226&sr=8-7

You have to find out how far down this lipo has gone down. Try again in the morning, it might recover enough to be recognized.

How to recover:
You have to know that the discharge is actually your issue and not something else.
You would have to disable the 'smart', change to NimH mode and charge for about 5-10 min. Check voltages again at that point and it should be recoverable in Lipo mode.
Do NOT leave it charging in Nimh mode, it will catch fire as it never shuts off. Do this in a safe environment i.e. fire safe and ideally a good ventilated place (outside) . Smoke will stink up the place if it does go bad.

~10 min charge, check the cells (should be above ~3.1V) continue charging in Lipo mode. It is probably ok to stay on Nimh until it's ~3.3 V but you have to keep all cells balanced and you can only do this by using lipo charge mode.

Do not discharge your cells to that point. When the car slows down, that is already the emergency notification that you have gone too far. Going beyond causes damage and it takes heroics to revive a pack. Set yourself a time limit.
In the future, might want to get a charger than can do it the old 'dumb' way.

I just bought the S150 charger and get the same error, every time right out of the box. Tried three different batteries (which all charge no problem with an old Duratrax charger) and tried all possible ways to plug in the balance lead into the balance port, with no success. Thinking the S150 is bad...

Mine ended up being the power wire to the charger. From the factory it's had a short in it right at the plug that goes into the charger. Plug it in and make sure it beeps and a light on each side stays on. And then try to plug the battery in without moving the charger.

Hey update if anyone reads this in 2021. I was having the same issues. But turns out im dumb. The balance power cable inserts a specific way. If its 3s battery insert the cable on the left side of the pins. it'll leave on pic exposing on the right side.

I also have an update for 2021. My solution was even more goofy. I literally just plugged the charger into a different outlet on the same surge protector and the charger has worked great ever since. I’m sure there are some logical answer for that but I have moved on... :)

Hi. I just bought the Arrma Typhoon 4x4 3s rtr with a s150ac smartcharge and a spektrum smart battery 3s 5000mAh 50c... I cant ut to work..
The charger lights up on battery and chargerate..
But nothing happens after that..i can charge battery-type and rate,but it dies start charging...

Help..please..

Sincerly

Pat
Picture of my setup..

Attachments

• 16191874242797726751071545508902.jpg
    16191874242797726751071545508902.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
Just got this same setup brand new from my LHS and it's doing the same thing. I think I'm going to exhange it. Pretty disappointed because I thought Spektrum were supposed to be good quality and went with this over some other batteries from Big River for my new BRCC.

Hey update if anyone reads this in 2021. I was having the same issues. But turns out im dumb. The balance power cable inserts a specific way. If its 3s battery insert the cable on the left side of the pins. it'll leave on pic exposing on the right side.
YES!
Bingo!
Thanks man, I did it and now it works! 😊

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back