Spektrum receivers and SMART technology

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just my thread! I have a new Mojave V2 RTR. Already have the DX5C (not bound to the Mojave at this time), guess I just need the proper receiver.

Looks like the 6110AT seems to be it, correct?
Also is my Firma 150A Smart ESC up to the task of full AVC? I believe it to be??

First I will dial my truck non AVC, to get a good understeer/oversteer balance. By spring preload or shock oil weight adjustment. Diff fluid weight's I don't expect to have to change out from new.
I like to come in hot and throttle out hard when I can (don't we all lol). Which can be borderline spinout. I hope to have it setup for track, but I will take the AVC assistance as I am not doing organized racing (if the Mojave would even be competitive on a track). Just looking for it to track well if I can't do it on my own, non AVC.
My Mojave is brand spanking new, so I am planning ahead at this point.

AVC occurs with the TX and RX (mainly the RX) so an AVC capable radio system doesn't need any special ESC, motor, or servo.

In case you just want to run the truck, the SR315 that comes with the RTR Mojave will bind to your DX5C, just won't have AVC.

AVC occurs with the TX and RX (mainly the RX) so an AVC capable radio system doesn't need any special ESC, motor, or servo.

In case you just want to run the truck, the SR315 that comes with the RTR Mojave will bind to your DX5C, just won't have AVC.

That is my first step Sargent!

Whenever people talk smack on AVC, I just sneer because they don't know what they're talking about. Once you learn how it works and how to make it efficient, you barely notice- because you're spending more of your pak time pushing hard lines than you do rescuing your rig from the scrub. Just thought I'd add that, since it's on topic.

I have a 6110AT on the way. I will not bind my DX5C to the stock receiver. My first few battery packs will be with a stone stock Mojave, just to see how it performs that way.

I have a question now that the OP question was answered.

Super newb. 1st time changing RX TX.

Into a big rock. Sr6110at and Dx3
I have the Rx positioned level in box.
16366872146836037608576021489388.jpg

Now bind it?
I bought 2nd hand. So no manual for either. Just don't wanna f anything up.

I have a question now that the OP question was answered.

Super newb. 1st time changing RX TX.

Into a big rock. Sr6110at and Dx3
I have the Rx positioned level in box.
View attachment 179532

Now bind it?
I bought 2nd hand. So no manual for either. Just don't wanna f anything up.

You'll need your ESC plugged in to power the receiver. I always do it with my ESC and servo plugged in with my motor wires unplugged. Also, be careful with that 3rd port, one of those pins is quite bent and may break if you're not careful.

You'll need your ESC plugged in to power the receiver. I always do it with my ESC and servo plugged in with my motor wires unplugged. Also, be careful with that 3rd port, one of those pins is quite bent and may break if you're not careful.
Good eye. I'll be easy. It better not break. Only taken it off the tx turnrd it sideways and looked at it. Lol. 2nd hand buys
Good eye. I'll be easy. It better not break. Only taken it off the tx turnrd it sideways and looked at it. Lol. 2nd hand buys
What's up with the top port? Batt/prog? I plugged in servo the st and throttle to thr the the 3rd plugbin aux1 just like it would been on the slr300. Then bind? Then calibrate AVC? Correct?

Attachments

• 20211111_210532.jpg
    20211111_210532.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Its ok to mount on its side. But don't let the AVC rx touch anything else like the sides. It should rest on the servo tape only not touching anything else. Vibrations of the chassis to the RX then to the Rx case will create oscillation issues. A good possibility. These AVC/gyros are vibration sensor type by design.
Why did you need to mount it on its side. Not enough room.?
Becomes harder to get the plugs inserted. And to rebind if needed.

Its ok to mount on its side. But don't let the AVC rx touch anything else like the sides. It should rest on the servo tape only not touching anything else. Vibrations of the chassis to the RX then to the Rx case will create oscillation issues. A good possibility. These AVC/gyros are vibration sensor type by design.
Why did you need to mount it on its side. Not enough room.?
Becomes harder to get the plugs inserted. And to rebind if needed.
Oh...yea I just stuck it to the side of the rx box. Its too long to fit as the slr300 did flat on bottom. So how would should I mount it and know it'll be still standing after a good cartwheel?

I went thru the process. Gyro seemed to be working. But I had the motor wires unplugged. Rx light nvr went off. So I plugged it all back in. Turned on truck hit bind button on rx and it went full throttle without touching anything. Good thing I had the center drive shaft out. That way I caught the thing. And was smart enough to have it level off the ground tho

Ok now you need to calibrate the ESC to the Radio. So the ESC knows the throttle endpoints for the radio. Set throttle trims to neutral first. Then calibrate it. This can be done with the motor leads disconnected. Your call. Be safe.;)

Ok now you need to calibrate the ESC to the Radio. So the ESC knows the throttle endpoints for the radio. Set throttle trims to neutral first. Then calibrate it. This can be done with the motor leads disconnected. Your call. Be safe.;)
Ok so I went thru and calibrated. I was checking to see if I had control of the truck. I turned right left kinda left kinda right THEN that when it goes full throttle before I ever touch the throttle at all. ???

Oh yea so no matter I got a smart battery there isn't the ESC to relay the message. Well some more wasted money🤷
Hello I have the new bigrock and was bummed that it didn’t come with the DX3 like the vortex ( what the heck Arrma and no firma with the blx100) anyways I want to upgrade the transmitter and sounds like the DX5c is the way to go . What is the difference from that and the pro thank you

The Pro is NOT a Smart radio. But can do Telemetry however. WIth the correct Telem Rx.
The DX5C is Smart. And less money. Latency is poorer running any Telem or Smart features. Even with the Pro.
Both above have the same GUI and Raceware firmware.
Save your money and get a 5C if you are stuck on getting Spektrum.

Do even better and forget the Spektrum stuff and buy a RL RC6GS (Offers telem with the right Rx, save some coin)
Or go with the NB4 , more $$ but way better than the DX5 Pro. Close in price to each other.
I have DX5C , RL RC6GS ($80.), and NB4. All of them. My first one was the DX5C. Experience with it made me want better stuff and why I have the others.
Don't get sucked into that Smart stuff. Just my recommendation. RC6GS offers many features and Telem, with the best range of all these radios. It is the cheapest also. The NB4 is the best overall radio That I own. Hands down. Best latency rates. (quickest input response) I know that most newbs don't relate to Latency and could care less. But this is what separates the men from boys when it comes to radios. Newbs care more about the fluff and all the marketting surrounding it.
And as you learn to drive after hundreds of bashes, you will understand why latency rates afford much better driver input. You will feel so much more connected with your rig. No lag or suttle delays as minute as it sounds on paper. Only then will you realize you have been missing out on a better driving rig.
My spin.

The Pro is NOT a Smart radio. But can do Telemetry however. WIth the correct Telem Rx.
The DX5C is Smart. And less money. Latency is poorer running any Telem or Smart features. Even with the Pro.
Both above have the same GUI and Raceware firmware.
Save your money and get a 5C if you are stuck on getting Spektrum.

Do even better and forget the Spektrum stuff and buy a RL RC6GS (Offers telem with the right Rx, save some coin)
Or go with the NB4 , more $$ but way better than the DX5 Pro. Close in price to each other.
I have DX5C , RL RC6GS ($80.), and NB4. All of them. My first one was the DX5C. Experience with it made me want better stuff and why I have the others.
Don't get sucked into that Smart stuff. Just my recommendation. RC6GS offers many features and Telem, with the best range of all these radios. It is the cheapest also. The NB4 is the best overall radio That I own. Hands down. Best latency rates. (quickest input response) I know that most newbs don't relate to Latency and could care less. But this is what separates the men from boys when it comes to radios. Newbs care more about the fluff and all the marketting surrounding it.
And as you learn to drive after hundreds of bashes, you will understand why latency rates afford much better driver input. You will feel so much more connected with your rig. No lag or suttle delays as minute as it sounds on paper. Only then will you realize you have been missing out on a better driving rig.
My spin.
That does sound great and since I’m a old newb 55 I don’t have the years I wish I had when in my 30’s owed a stampede great 4x4 I am impressed with the lipo ( wish I had them back then) damm nicads were a female dog lol
I’m just getting back in was as you say kinda impressed with the fluff of smart but if at the end of the day that’s all it is well I guess I have some thinking to do. I do like the smart just because I think the available data in programming, parts talking to each other ect. But if not really going to improve driver experience then u guess it is just fluff

That does sound great and since I’m a old newb 55 I don’t have the years I wish I had when in my 30’s owed a stampede great 4x4 I am impressed with the lipo ( wish I had them back then) damm nicads were a female dog lol
I’m just getting back in was as you say kinda impressed with the fluff of smart but if at the end of the day that’s all it is well I guess I have some thinking to do. I do like the smart just because I think the available data in programming, parts talking to each other ect. But if not really going to improve driver experience then u guess it is just fluff

I have settled on the best combo of stuff being an NB4 radio system, Castle sensored ESC and Motor, and Spektrum Smart batteries. This affords you a good input and feature filled (not to mention rad looking) TX, super feature filled ESC, and the auto-discharge and log features of the smart batts.

At the end of the day, the radio provides control of your rig. That to me is most important. We want to drive, The data and all is secondary, Signal bandwidth takes a hit when you have telem data on that signal Bus. Latency will always take a hit. By design.
I have telem on a few of my rigs. And I rarely even look at it any more. A novelty in the beginning. Trust me.
I just focus on my driving. Where all the enjoyment and fun is. You will NOT be eyes focused on data while driving. That would be a neat trick.
Unless you are running a Quad with FPV goggles and data is directly viewable in real time.
All this telem stuff is an offshoot from Air RC multichannel radios. Repackaged for Surface use. It is not new tech.

Edited.

Last edited:
I have settled on the best combo of stuff being an NB4 radio system, Castle sensored ESC and Motor, and Spektrum Smart batteries. This affords you a good input and feature filled (not to mention rad looking) TX, super feature filled ESC, and the auto-discharge and log features of the smart batts.
How do you like the Spektrum batteries..
I just bought my 2nd crap truck in over 20 years I was going to get the Vortex but was helped changing my mind to the BIGROCK.
almost bought the Spektrum batteries but at last second found ZEEE 6000mAh 80c and wow fast and long run times just at an hour. So I’m wondering what times are you seeing with the 5500mAh 50c or 100c

How do you like the Spektrum batteries..
I just bought my 2nd crap truck in over 20 years I was going to get the Vortex but was helped changing my mind to the BIGROCK.
almost bought the Spektrum batteries but at last second found ZEEE 6000mAh 80c and wow fast and long run times just at an hour. So I’m wondering what times are you seeing with the 5500mAh 50c or 100c

My 50C Smarts get me like 20-25 minutes on my 6S rigs (I only have 6S rigs). I just like the smart features, its nice to have the auto discharge and log imo. I also don't want any longer run times, my poor cars would get much too hot without a bit of rest. That being said, they are certainly overpriced compared ot a regular Zee or Hoovoo or other batts etc and they arent good enough for hardcore speed running.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back