smart batteries (other than spektrum)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While we on the subject, I really think that they all should at the very least decide on a standard for connectors and get rid of the balance leads. The balance leads are my biggest annoyance with lipo batteries, you have to make sure they aren't just flopping around all willy nilly. On some of my smaller batteries the darn balance leads are about as long as the battery............. In my honest opinion it is an unnecessary wire and connector that could be easily eliminated as is proven by Spektrum and Traxxas < this is literally the only thing I like about the Smart and Traxxas batteries.

But alas I'm just pissing into the wind here as neither Horizon Hobby or Traxxas will abandon their battery technology they both have too much invested in it, the only way either of them would jump on board to a universal standard is if they were forced to do so by law.

833l0NW.jpg

To think on: a standard stops innovation. What company will spend the R&D to develop a new product and not receive compensation. What if the standard had been set at Dean's connectors? Or standards set for 2S 20c batteries? Patients are so the innovator gets compensated for 7 years before others can start making money off of their ideal. I know, that does not quite work with China.

To think on: a standard stops innovation. What company will spend the R&D to develop a new product and not receive compensation. What if the standard had been set at Dean's connectors? Or standards set for 2S 20c batteries? Patients are so the innovator gets compensated for 7 years before others can start making money off of their ideal. I know, that does not quite work with China.
Like Data ports? Type A, Type B, Type C, Mini-A, Mini-B, Mini-AB, Micro-A ,Micro-B, Micro-AB, IEEE1394 (IEE1394a, IEE1394b, IEE1394c), S1600/S3200, Thunderbolt (Thunderbolt2, Thunderbolt3, Thunderbolt4)...and I can go on. Definitely innovation and evolution but what a pain in the arse.

Current Lipo Packs seem crude and rather dangerous. It needs to evolve. But there are likely too many players and needs, And the result is just like the above.
Isn't Horizon Hobby acquiring everyone anyway? I just don't like the prices they put on their products. It's grossly inflated and they make enough things propriety to keep the average buyer coming back out of ease and necessity. Making exaggerated claims and such but they obviously Need to sell car parts and supporting hardware and electronics. So its "Smart" to do so.

Last edited:
HDMI? Display Port? USB? These are all standard and none of them have stopped evolving over the years. I never said that they cannot change or update the standard just that there should be a standardized plug type that everyone should agree on to use not the current situation we have now where there are so many different types. We have Deans Ultra connectors, XT connectors, EC connectors, IC connectors(both strangely made by the same company at the same time but only come on certain models), HTX, Traxxas, Tamiya, Molex, JST, Anderson Power Pole, Castle Connectors, bullet connectors, AS connectors and QS connectors. Is there really a need for so many different connectors?

Imagine if servos had that many options for plugs.

there should be a standardized plug type that everyone should agree on to use not the current situation we have now where there are so many different types.
this is the most annoying part, my charger is XT60 and so are many others. My preferred connector is EC5 since that seems to be what ARRMA will be giving us. I have to make up cables to convert everything now, but i quite enjoy doing that lol

Some of the new Spektrum chargers are IC3 and 5 (1 port for each) which is kind of neat lol but again we arrive at this same problem of eco-systems and adapters galore

this is the most annoying part, my charger is XT60 and so are many others. My preferred connector is EC5 since that seems to be what ARRMA will be giving us. I have to make up cables to convert everything now, but i quite enjoy doing that lol

Some of the new Spektrum chargers are IC3 and 5 (1 port for each) which is kind of neat lol but again we arrive at this same problem of eco-systems and adapters galore
As you said, most chargers have XT60 outputs. I just use adapters like this:
1663133339309.jpeg

I soldered them up myself. I don't know if I've seen XT60 to QS8 adapters anywhere. At least not in any of the online hobby shops I frequent.
I'm gonna have to make up a qs8 to EC5 so I can charge/ storage charge my speed runner batteries, shouldn't be too difficult

I'm gonna have to make up a qs8 to EC5 so I can charge/ storage charge my speed runner batteries, shouldn't be too difficult
Nah, no big deal. Only things I would say is your soldering iron should have at least 70-80W (100-150W+ is better but you can get it done with a little less in a pinch) to get enough heat into the QS8 connectors to get the solder to bond properly, don't forget to put the matching connector in the end to keep the pins from moving around in case you get it all a bit too hot and let the connector cool off between soldering the positive and negative leads.

Nah, no big deal. Only things I would say is your soldering iron should have at least 70-80W (100-150W+ is better but you can get it done with a little less in a pinch) to get enough heat into the QS8 connectors to get the solder to bond properly, don't forget to put the matching connector in the end to keep the pins from moving around in case you get it all a bit too hot and let the connector cool off between soldering the positive and negative leads.
Already done & charging! Can't run tomorrow morning without a charged battery 😀🤞🤘

current setup, why do they have to make the balance cable sooo short, its like 50mm long. Need to get some extenders.

also I have a MEGA so still run NiMH if you're wondering about the stickers on everything. I'll get another Lipo soon.

View attachment 243700
Balance extensions are the way to go. It also makes it a lot easier to place the lipos inside a fireproof bag like the one below.
1663284084480.png

Balance extensions are the way to go. It also makes it a lot easier to place the lipos inside a fireproof bag like the one below.
View attachment 243712
i'll order some soon. I store my Lipo's in a .50cal ammo box so planning to get some mountable XT60's to pass through the box but have to figure out how to pass the balance lead, aiming for a tidy connection without too many open holes, the seal feels a bit old on the tin so that'll work for a vent lol.

1663285458923.png

i'll order some soon. I store my Lipo's in a .50cal ammo box so planning to get some mountable XT60's to pass through the box but have to figure out how to pass the balance lead, aiming for a tidy connection without too many open holes, the seal feels a bit old on the tin so that'll work for a vent lol.

View attachment 243723
I store them in a 50cal ammo box as well, I just use a bag for charging. My ammo box is filled to the brim, there's no room to add anything. I don't really want any other batteries in the same container I'm charging in. In the, admittedly unlikely, event of a battery going haywire while I'm charging it, I don't want it taking out more than itself and its brother.

Like Data ports? Type A, Type B, Type C, Mini-A, Mini-B, Mini-AB, Micro-A ,Micro-B, Micro-AB, IEEE1394 (IEE1394a, IEE1394b, IEE1394c), S1600/S3200, Thunderbolt (Thunderbolt2, Thunderbolt3, Thunderbolt4)...and I can go on. Definitely innovation and evolution but what a pain in the arse.

Current Lipo Packs seem crude and rather dangerous. It needs to evolve. But there are likely too many players and needs, And the result is just like the above.
Isn't Horizon Hobby acquiring everyone anyway? I just don't like the prices they put on their products. It's grossly inflated and they make enough things propriety to keep the average buyer coming back out of ease and necessity. Making exaggerated claims and such but they obviously Need to sell car parts and supporting hardware and electronics. So its "Smart" to do so.
I'm by no means a battery expert or even an amateur when it comes to how these things are constructed. From my perspective, I'm just looking at how much energy is bundled up in these "layered wafer cakes" and how much we're asking them to do in terms of releasing that energy in a controlled fashion. I'm not saying they can't be improved as I'm sure they will be over time.

If you compare today's lipo technology to the NiMH batteries of yesteryear (for those of you using them in your setup, don't yell at me...I know they're still used today, this is just for illustrative purposes so...back off :LOL:) they represent an amazing leap forward in terms of power, but a step back in terms of safety. I don't recall ever seeing NiMH batteries exploding in fireballs the way that lipos do (I don't even recall ever hearing about them exploding, though it's probably possible if you hard short them).

So, on the surface (to me anyways), there appears to, at least, be a correlation between max power output of an energy storage device and volatility if not an outright causal relationship. So I think it will be interesting to watch how technology advances on this front over the next decade or two. I keep hearing about "revolutionary new battery!!!" COMING SOON!!! but, so far, all of them have proven to be either vaporware, outright fraud or some new technology that might yield something way down the line. Continuing to push energy density really is a challenge and I just have reasonable doubts about how far you can go while at the same time reducing volatility. I'm not saying it can't be done...human ingenuity is fascinating and we've found answers to questions no one even asked. So, it should be fun going forward :)

Late to the party, but in regards to OP's question: I feel I'm pretty unbiased in my observations of Spek smart batts vs standard. I have two Smart 5000mah 100c 6s batts and 2 Zeeee 5200mah 100c 6s batts. The 2 Zeeee's cost a little less than a single Smart 6s. I also have a Spek 2200S charger(dual port)
The features I like of the Smart batt/Smart Charger combo:
No balance cable - It's more convenient, less floppy to break.
Auto-discharge built in to battery - I mean, this is nice if I forget, but I'm pretty religious at storage charging batts after runs. It is fully configurable from the charger to the batt. So you can set your batt's to discharge as you see fit.
Auto-charge/storage on charger - By this, I mean the charger knows if I stored the smart batt on last plug in and it auto charges on next. Conversely, if the last cycle was a run and discharged, it auto stores now based on my preferences. Another nice convenience.
Batt details on charger - The Spec charger displays the life time of performance/charges on a Smart battery, since this is stored on the chip in the batt. This is really nice to have. It shows cell degradation over time too. It's pretty slick.

While all that is really "advanced" and convenient, I honestly don't think it is worth the huge cost difference in batteries. Additionally, I've found the construction of both battery types to be comparable. I had expected the Smart's to possible be more rugged, thicker encased, more durable leads etc. But nope, they seem very comparable and the Zeeee's have actually faired better physically.

I'll be sticking with normal LIPOs with balance leads from now on. If the Smart battery cost were a little more in line with normal LIPOs, I'd be all over a pile of Spek batteries. But at a cost point of 2:1 and I'm not made of money, I don't find it's worth it. Were money no concern, then I'd go for the Smarts for the convenience and data on the battery.

I think it's just marketing gimmick to sell more stuff mostly to the ignorant. BTW- just read the individual resistance of each cell, that's a good tip to see when a cell in a battery is going bad. Takes a whole 6 sec.

Late to the party, but in regards to OP's question: I feel I'm pretty unbiased in my observations of Spek smart batts vs standard. I have two Smart 5000mah 100c 6s batts and 2 Zeeee 5200mah 100c 6s batts. The 2 Zeeee's cost a little less than a single Smart 6s. I also have a Spek 2200S charger(dual port)
Auto-discharge built in to battery - I mean, this is nice if I forget, but I'm pretty religious at storage charging batts after runs. It is fully configurable from the charger to the batt. So you can set your batt's to discharge as you see fit.
Auto-charge/storage on charger - By this, I mean the charger knows if I stored the smart batt on last plug in and it auto charges on next. Conversely, if the last cycle was a run and discharged, it auto stores now based on my preferences. Another nice convenience.
Batt details on charger - The Spec charger displays the life time of performance/charges on a Smart battery, since this is stored on the chip in the batt. This is really nice to have. It shows cell degradation over time too. It's pretty slick.

While all that is really "advanced" and convenient, I honestly don't think it is worth the huge cost difference in batteries. Additionally, I've found the construction of both battery types to be comparable. I had expected the Smart's to possible be more rugged, thicker encased, more durable leads etc. But nope, they seem very comparable and the Zeeee's have actually faired better physically.

I'll be sticking with normal LIPOs with balance leads from now on. If the Smart battery cost were a little more in line with normal LIPOs, I'd be all over a pile of Spek batteries. But at a cost point of 2:1 and I'm not made of money, I don't find it's worth it. Were money no concern, then I'd go for the Smarts for the convenience and data on the battery.
Well said and nice write up. Welcome to the forum (y)

Right? If they can figure out how to get the price and performance more in line with batteries from companies like CNHL, SMC, Gennys Ace ect they would probably fly off the shelfs and everyone would recommend them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back