Shock piston nut - how tight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mopsik_Klopsik

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
How tight do I need to screw down this nut? Does the nut has to be screwed fully on or should I back off the nut so that the piston has a little bit of movement?

9761.png

Try it both ways, you'll feel the difference in function.

I wouldn't take anything seriously from a guy promoting emulsion caps and installing a boot on his shaft. :ROFLMAO:
I agree. Emulsion systems are a foolproof way to cause foaming in the shock oil and epic shock fade. You’re also basically killing the rebound of these shocks. I’ve never understood the draw.
Not that I haven’t historically installed boots on my shaft periodically…

Not that I haven’t historically installed boots on my shaft periodically…
Once the boots tear I leave the bottom rubber ring for full compression absorption so the arm can flex a bit and no CVD disengagement. Otherwise I'll rebuild with a few mm of compression tube sleeved.

Once the boots tear I leave the bottom rubber ring for full compression absorption so the arm can flex a bit and no CVD disengagement. Otherwise I'll rebuild with a few mm of compression tube sleeved.
When I was talking about installing boots on my shaft I wasn’t talking about RC shocks…😊

It's a nylon locknut. Based on it's location, it will likely be kept in place almost entirely without even any torque applied. I'd say "snug" against piston, but no more than gentle finger tight with whatever tool you are using. No need to crank it down, as the steel nut will only start gouging into the plastic piston.

Back