Kraton Shimming the Diffs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had good luck with Hot Racing, just wish they made chassis braces, servo mounts also for Arrmas.
Wanted to add Vanning that I share the same goal as breakages are a PITA and I like to bash hard. Starting to wonder though if removing chassis flex with tower to tower brace might cause other breakages or inhibit wheel/ground contact as stock Kraton chassis has a good degree of up/down and lateral flexing in its stock form. Any thoughts or opinions?

I like to prevent the direct inward and outward flex down the centerline of the chassis and still have chassis twist. The Kraton is just a monster racing truggy platform...it is just missing a little extra structure to take the abuse that we all like to dish out. The triangulation of the plastic chassis braces is great for racing..but in my opinion, it's incomplete for bashing. I like the simple rod I strapped into mine. It was fast, easy and it works. It comes out fast also if needed. It's technically boxing the chassis but I still get the left and right flex and twist that seems to be good for handling. (I do enjoy that 2nd to jumping) I have a center rod in my Slash and a center rod in my Kraton...I like how they handle with it. Now....I'm not proud of my Kraton's chassis brace visually. Performance wise... yes. It's been in there for a long time now and it never lets me down. I made it to fit under my Mugen body....it's very low for that reason bit still reaches up into the shock towers. I also wanted it to be able to come out easy.
These days, I am convinced that I will never use the lower Mugen body or the stock body ever again and the wing is history also.....I could actually lift the center rod I have up like Thomas P. does (on the very top). However...with my recent discovery of how to lock mine in tight, I'm sold on my setup. I could return to the stock body if I change my mind. Yes I had to use bailing wire but it sure does crank itself in tight....it does not budge. Zip ties..not strong enough to crank something in . Screws into the rod....got stripped. Bailing wire twisted in till tight from the back and the front...massive strength. High tech...not at all. LOL

Overall, I'm a fan of the chassis supports and I like it up in the shock towers like Thomas P. does but with my "twist" on it. I will never run without a chassis brace of some sort....no matter how it's put in, I'm a big fan of it.

Voltage Hobbies contact me on making a brace a few months ago...I hope they decide to come up with one. I showed them the Axis brace for traxxas Slash and gave them a few other examples of what people like. IDK if they will do some other parts or not.

Last edited:
I like to prevent the direct inward and outward flex down the centerline of the chassis and still have chassis twist. The Kraton is just a monster racing truggy platform...it is just missing a little extra structure to take the abuse that we all like to dish out. The triangulation of the plastic chassis braces is great for racing..but in my opinion, it's incomplete for bashing. I like the simple rod I strapped into mine. It was fast, easy and it works. It comes out fast also if needed. It's technically boxing the chassis but I still get the left and right flex and twist that seems to be good for handling. (I do enjoy that 2nd to jumping) I have a center rod in my Slash and a center rod in my Kraton...I like how they handle with it. Now....I'm not proud of my Kraton's chassis brace visually. Performance wise... yes. It's been in there for a long time now and it never lets me down. I made it to fit under my Mugen body....it's very low for that reason bit still reaches up into the shock towers. I also wanted it to be able to come out easy.
These days, I am convinced that I will never use the lower Mugen body or the stock body ever again and the wing is history also.....I could actually lift the center rod I have up like Thomas P. does (on the very top). However...with my recent discovery of how to lock mine in tight, I'm sold on my setup. I could return to the stock body if I change my mind. Yes I had to use bailing wire but it sure does crank itself in tight....it does not budge. Zip ties..not strong enough to crank something in . Screws into the rod....got stripped. Bailing wire twisted in till tight from the back and the front...massive strength. High tech...not at all. LOL I'm a fan of the chassis supports and I like it up in the shock towers like Thomas P. does but with my "twist" on it. I will never run without the chassis brace.
Vanning thanks big time for posting your thoughts on that as I've been wavering on which way to go. I couldn't care less about appearance, just want to avoid big failure going big. I will try an aluminum rod arrangement myself, like your bailing wire idea, I've had too many zip ties pop from stress/friction.

Once I get home I can take some detail pictures for you bud. I much prefer the chassis brace over no chassis brace. My favorite preference would be directly on top like Thomas P. does. However, that cuts out the use of Truggy/stock bodies for most people. There is a guy making dual tower to tower supports that will fit under a stock body. I forget who it is....been a while since I saw it.

You know what zip ties are really good for?

Holding all the other zip ties together in a bunch. :D

They are for wires.....LOL. I forgot about using bailing wire for a long time. Man, it cranked in my jig rig real nice. I thought my Kraton was growing because my chassis brace seemed too small after a run. No...stuff was bending !!!! So...I just installed the bailing wire in place of the zips and cranked her back to proper specification. Tower to tower reeled back in... :D She doesn't get stretched out no more. Also....I'm convinced that big puffy top roof bodies help protect things better. I've gotten closer to being bullet proof. If you got a brace on top of the towers...you can just notch it.
Once in a while I go real big to see what will bust....after a while, I do seem to get most my RC's pretty darn strong. The wing and exposed rear tower is no good in my opinion. The next Kraton needs to be the body I use with a skeleton frame under it. I have a center support under my body...it goes from my chassis brace up to the roof of my new body. I'll put pics up later. I got the idea from my Axis brace on my Slash.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
Here's my chassis brace,it goes from diff case to diff case and has been tested by a car running over it twice!I can stand on the center while each end of the chassis is supported by 4x4.When going tower to tower if you hit one hard enough you could break both diff cases,but is the easieist way to stop frame flex.

View attachment 5410 Here's my chassis brace,it goes from diff case to diff case and has been tested by a car running over it twice!I can stand on the center while each end of the chassis is supported by 4x4.When going tower to tower if you hit one hard enough you could break both diff cases,but is the easieist way to stop frame flex.
I once had a Vg Racing brace on my Slash with LCG chassis with similar attachment, but read a horror story about someone that lost control with remote, hit a curb at full speed and it did destroyed front and rear bulkheads, chassis, among other things. Freaked me out and removed it. I do like the look of yours though without doubt. Surviving a run over, that's crazy!!!

I once had a Vg Racing brace on my Slash with LCG chassis with similar attachment, but read a horror story about someone that lost control with remote, hit a curb at full speed and it did destroyed front and rear bulkheads, chassis, among other things. Freaked me out and removed it. I do like the look of yours though without doubt. Surviving a run over, that's crazy!!!

Hit a curb with that and watch the center diff fold like a china man working in a Landromat !!!!! . A curb hit is just bad luck and has to be sucked up as just bad luck. It's going to destroy lots of stuff. I rather look at something as normal operation with jumps, driving and handling. Getting run over by cars and hitting curbs is just a bad day. We all try not to let that happen. I do love the work on that center beam of Kauai's It's nice and locked in. I rather have any type of chassis brace than no chassis brace in the Kraton. But yes...the chassis handling does change and crap may get busted if bad luck happens. Hows your body holes holding up Rich ? They get stretched out with the chassis flexing is about all. So you may not care to even use one. I've seen you going big without it...I've ben running one in since day one almost.

My best damage prevention upgrade so far has been the body I use and removing the wing. But the bracing just feels right...no matter how you do it. Just try not to plow into trees, cars and cement walls. LOL

You see that Kyosh Vanning up there...I took a telephone pedestal clean out of the ground with it and kept on driving it. THey don't make frames and bumpers like that any more.

Last edited:
Hit a curb with that and watch the center diff fold like a china man working in a Landromat !!!!! . A curb hit is just bad luck and has to be sucked up as just bad luck. It's going to destroy lots of stuff. I rather look at something as normal operation with jumps, driving and handling. Getting run over by cars and hitting curbs is just a bad day. We all try not to let that happen. I do love the work on that center beam of Kauai's It's nice and locked in. I rather have any type of chassis brace than no chassis brace in the Kraton. But yes...the chassis handling does change and crap may get busted if bad luck happens. Hows your body holes holding up Rich ? They get stretched out with the chassis flexing is about all. So you may not care to even use one. I've seen you going big without it...I've ben running one in since day one almost.

My best damage prevention upgrade so far has been the body I use and removing the wing. But the bracing just feels right...no matter how you do it. Just try not to plow into trees, cars and cement walls. LOL
My body has stretch marks/cracks in rear mounting holes, but considering the abuse my kids have dished out, holding up well. I padded underside of front with same self adhering felt blanket I used near towers on Outcast, has stopped further damage great, acts like a helmet absorbing/displacing energy. Here's a shot of brace I was toying with.

My body has stretch marks/cracks in rear mounting holes, but considering the abuse my kids have dished out, holding up well. I padded underside of front with same self adhering felt blanket I used near towers on Outcast, has stopped further damage great, acts like a helmet absorbing/displacing energy. Here's a shot of brace I was toying with.
IMG_20170113_165103652.jpg

Your chassis will still Twizzler twist. RC shocks are not very advanced so 1/8 scale buggy chassis take up what the tires and shocks don't. I myself welcome the twist....I just don't like it to fold like a taco. It screws with the body holes. That's why I like the rod...there is absolutely nothing stopping chassis twizzler twisting at all. Only the taco fold is prevented. My Kraton handles well for a monster basher. The chassis has lots to do with it. I don't want to stop the twist. I know of no other monster basher that handles like this thing. Your brace is great...that will stop only the taco folds and wont't really stop twisting. . My rod will twist all day....it just will not fold or unfold. LOL
It's why I have come to realize...it's bad ass. Just looks insignificant.

I'm hungry now.

Last edited:
Your chassis will still Twizzler twist. RC shocks are not very advanced so 1/8 scale buggy chassis take up what the tires and shocks don't. I myself welcome the twist....I just don't like it to fold like a taco. It screws with the body holes. That's why I like the rod...there is absolutely nothing stopping chassis twizzler twisting at all. Only the taco fold is prevented. My Kraton handles well for a monster basher. The chassis has lots to do with it. I don't want to stop the twist. I know of no other monster basher that handles like this thing. Your brace is great...that will stop only the taco folds. My rod will twist all day....it just will not fold or unfold.
It's why I have come to realize...it's bad ass. Just looks insignificant.

I'm hungry now.
Whats for dinner?

Your chassis will still Twizzler twist. RC shocks are not very advanced so 1/8 scale buggy chassis take up what the tires and shocks don't. I myself welcome the twist....I just don't like it to fold like a taco. It screws with the body holes. That's why I like the rod...there is absolutely nothing stopping chassis twizzler twisting at all. Only the taco fold is prevented. My Kraton handles well for a monster basher. The chassis has lots to do with it. I don't want to stop the twist. I know of no other monster basher that handles like this thing. Your brace is great...that will stop only the taco folds. My rod will twist all day....it just will not fold or unfold. It's why I have come to realize...it's bad ass. Just looks insignificant.

I'm hungry now.
Thanks Vanning and all others for your input. I too want chassis twist as it allows for some give in rougher terrain..Etc. Thanks for all the suggestions. Will attach brace to keep twist alive! I like eating tacos, not watching RC become one...Lol. I'm hungry too!

Taco's and Twizzler's Good stuff !!!! I like the rod...it's my design and I like it. Riches is coming along and you got your step stool of a RC sitting pretty. LOL It's a beast !!!! Nice work guys. It's all good stuff.

Last edited:
View attachment 5410 Here's my chassis brace,it goes from diff case to diff case and has been tested by a car running over it twice!I can stand on the center while each end of the chassis is supported by 4x4.When going tower to tower if you hit one hard enough you could break both diff cases,but is the easieist way to stop frame flex.
how do you like those tires vs the backflips?

I haven't tried the Backflips,but these are doing great,almost to much traction when dirt drifting!I don't let them turn in to pizza cutters on 6s and have a great time,might even get to wear the knobs off!

What's up yz125ryder! I love my Backflips. Little harder compound then Proline, no traction roll with hard turns, just controlled high speed drifting with great stopping and forward bite, really hooks up great. Running on Outcast and Kraton with no regrets, only using 6s. Ballooning isn't an issue so long as you put heavier 100-200k center diff fluid to keep power from bleeding to the fronts. That's my 2 cents. Glad you joined the forum and welcome! Hope you're digging the Kraton beast.

Last edited:
What's up yz125ryder! I love my Backflips. Little harder compound then Proline, no traction roll with hard turns, just controlled high speed drifting with great stopping and forward bite, really hooks up great. Running on Outcast and Kraton with no regrets, only using 6s. Ballooning isn't an issue so long as you put heavier 100-200k center diff fluid to keep power from bleeding to the fronts. That's my 2 cents. Glad you joined the forum and welcome! Hope you're digging the Kraton beast.

I picked up a set up backflips for my Kraton also and I am loving them. Same conclusions as Rich. Good traction but not as soft as Pro Line Badlands I have run in the past. I am really impressed with what a small amount of wear they are showing after quite a bit of running.

yeah i have noticed the compound on the pro-lines to be a bit soft. making them balloon easy. my outcast comes in on monday!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back